December 12, 2017, 06:43:12 AM

Author Topic: Home Sweet Home  (Read 23330 times)

Offline rachelshaeh

• Veteran
Re: Home Sweet Home
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2011, 09:03:13 AM »
Memberships here are 30,000w / year and you can bring two guests. Alternately, make friends with a membership and bribe them with Costco pizza to get you in.
i've got a membership. totally willing to be bribed.

i miss my animals, all 5 of them.

andddd my bff.  and being warm in buildings. that was a good one.

and i will NOT miss transferring money home and watching everyone take a piece of it and after it's been chiseled away it disappears entirely...boooo

Offline rachelshaeh

• Veteran
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2011, 09:05:12 AM »
Oatmeal and whole wheat bread so far....

You can get oatmeal really easily here. I see it in HomePlus and E-Mart all the time. The oats are actually p. tasty, too. They're better quality than some I've bought in Canada.

yaya i have oatmeal. got it from costco. also seen loads of the quaker oatmeal instant packs, i think mostly in itaewon

Offline gmosborn

• Veteran
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2011, 09:11:12 AM »
hmm, waffle house hashbrowns..scattered, smothered, covered chunked and topped!
try a breakfast at butterfinger Pancakes in Kungnam, Seoul..you will feel like you are at an upscale Denny's

Offline rachelshaeh

• Veteran
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2011, 09:16:56 AM »
try a breakfast at butterfinger Pancakes in Kungnam, Seoul..you will feel like you are at an upscale Denny's

i LOVE butterfingers!! my new favorite brunch place!

Offline eggplant_tyrant

• Super Waygook
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2011, 09:17:55 AM »
Cadbury Creme Eggs. x1000000.

After the better part of 3 years, this is the only thing I truly long for. Previously, it was Creme Eggs and chocolate-covered marshmallows, but they've started stocking the marshmallows at Costco, bless them.

Offline travish65742

• Adventurer
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2011, 09:19:06 AM »

Sorry - minor derail here:

Do Waffle House hashbrowns have secret code words for ordering, kind of like In-N-Out? The smothered, covered, etc.

What do they mean? I'm Canadian and we don't have Waffle House.

Yeah they all stand for something different. I don't remember what each one stands for but one is onions, chilli, cheese, etc...

Offline strawberry

• Expert Waygook
  • Strawberries of Wrath
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2011, 09:34:12 AM »
Ooooh I had a friend bring me Cadbury's Creme eggs from the UK.  I'm not even FROM the UK, but I had them once and fell in love!

For the saffas, (like DMZ) check out FB page: "SA SPAZA SHOP"  She imports all kinds of stuff and she has just about all you said u craved: Marmite, 5 roses tea, cadbury's, nik naks, SA Indian curry (i think??) , milk tart.  She also makes... wait for it... Amarula Cheesecake.   :P  Delivery only about 4000 :)

Offline Joscelyn2

• Adventurer
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2011, 09:36:49 AM »
I miss my dog, diet soda (they have coke zero here and Narang but it's hard to find in my small town.) Hmmn, also I miss being able to vent when your coteacher is really obnoxious. The other teachers all agree he is obnoxious but they 'hide the feelings in their heart' and don't talk about it even when he is really bad and it makes them uncomfortable if I say anything when I have problems... but it makes me feel better to talk about it! I'm used to expressing my emotions, frustrations and being direct about problems instead of pretending they don't exist and smiling and looking at the floor when they rear their heads.

Hmmn, I also miss refried black beans... roast beef with mashed potatoes and gravy... turkey and stuffing... Oh... and personal space. The above mentioned coteacher doesn't brush his teeth and he also doesn't hear very well, so he must stand very close to me when we talk and he contsantly breaths putrid breath smells right into my face. They just don't have a 'bubble' here like I'm used to. (Ha ha, I'vetried offering him gum and mints and saying how in America we are so worried about the way our breath smells since we don't want people to think we smell bad... and I've even talked about how Americans are uncomfortable when people stand too close in my lessons.)  sigh...but I digress...

I also miss protein bars (Snickers marathon peanut caramel rush) and cheap vitamins. and cold medicine and sugar free cough drops. Well, sugar free anything really.

But mostly I miss my dog and my family.

Although I have discovered ssamjang and kimchi and numberous other foods here that more than make up for what I miss from home... So I try to think about how while I'm here I have the opportunity to experience those things and I will be longing for them when I am back home again!

Offline summerthyme

• Featured Contributor
  • Hero of Waygookistan
  • cookie bank
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2011, 09:37:59 AM »
Reeses peanut butter cups.  Sandwiches with fresh bread.   Breakfast restaurants (none of them out here in rural Gyeongsangbuk-do, ha ha).  GRILLING OUT!  Trail mix bars.  Being notified of schedule changes in advance ;)

Oh, and my fiance', ha ha.
Please click "Report to moderator" for posts that show harassment, fighting, rudeness, or which otherwise go against waygook's general terms and conditions.  Thanks for your assistance!

Offline ToniV

• Adventurer
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2011, 09:43:34 AM »
 :o German Chocolate Cake  :P
Smile. Pass it on.

Offline glitterstarbeau

• Veteran
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2011, 09:57:08 AM »
Coke Light is not the same Diet Coke.  It makes me sad.  I also miss eating chili like every day.  It's such a pain to drag cans home. 

Offline gifappeltjie

• Veteran
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2011, 10:00:28 AM »
showers that are seperate from the sink, and shower curtains. and cheese- colby and peperjack. I do love Korea though!

You know they have colby and peperjack cheese at costco, right???
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 10:12:44 AM by gifappeltjie »

Offline teacherjenni

• Super Waygook
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2011, 10:04:08 AM »
Wendy's Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger dipped in their Chili. Mmmm.
Biscuits and Gravy (though I make it here, it just doest have the right flavor)
Waffle HouseEw. Cracker Barrel!
Shoes made for wide feet (not long, just wide).

(Oh, and I am super lucky that my apartment has my shower separate from the sink along with a glass door. Yipee!)

Offline conorsean

• Super Waygook
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2011, 10:05:43 AM »
Sectarian rioting in the summer. People who make being cynical about absolutely anything  some kind of game. Crap weather all year round. No jobs. Early closing times for bars and mightclubs. Vandalism. Widespread robbery. People asking not-so-subtle questions to see if your a Catholic or Protestant. Answering said people, stating your an atheist and them asking you if your a Catholic atheist or a Protestant atheist.

There's just so much I miss  :D
It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Offline dolphingurl2022

• Veteran
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2011, 10:08:03 AM »
everything...all the quick and easy dinners like hamburger helper (and all the other types) + all the tons of millions frozen food items....sourdough bread!!  Skittles!!  other american goods that you can get at costco but not have to spend almost your whole months salary on!!!

Oh and real cherry coke...u can find it in korea but the recipe is different (same for all other sodas...even mountain dew and dr. pepper)...i think it's the sugar amounts or something but it definitely doesn't taste like home >.<

Offline jauntwithjo

• Veteran
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2011, 10:21:52 AM »
Those Asian boba/pearl drinks that are EVERWHERE in California. T_T I can only find milk tea in Namdaemun.

For those craving Skittles, a little ajumma corner shop within Jongro-3(sam)-ga sells the regular and sour ones. It's in that area past when you come from line 5 transferring to the orange line.

For those craving Reese's Pieces, have you tried the peanut button bonbons at the checkout at Home Plus Express? They're wrapped in silver with a red label. I actually like the creamy peanut filling in it more than Reeses!
Before you create a thread, remember waygook.org has a search engine! Please help keep the redundancy down. Do a little research of your own before making a thread in case the information is already available.

Offline travish65742

• Adventurer
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2011, 10:22:45 AM »
Reeses peanut butter cups.  Sandwiches with fresh bread.   Breakfast restaurants (none of them out here in rural Gyeongsangbuk-do, ha ha).  GRILLING OUT!  Trail mix bars.  Being notified of schedule changes in advance ;)

Oh, and my fiance', ha ha.

Ha I like how Reeses peanut butter cups is the first thing on your list instead of your fiance'. I do share a love for Reeses peanut butter cups though.

Offline misskris

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2011, 10:26:15 AM »

God I hope they have flax. Back home, I put flax on and in everything and my body is crying out for it.
[/quote]

They do have ground flax seed at costco!

Offline Gunpo_Erin

• Super Waygook
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2011, 10:29:43 AM »
My mum's cooking.  Good cadbury chocolate.  Diet Dr Pepper.  seedless grapes...the list is long!

Offline UKsimon

• Veteran
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2011, 10:30:51 AM »
Large portion of chip shop chips with a large sausage, pickled onions and HP brown sauce.

Slap in some black pudding if you're feeling greedy  :P