December 10, 2018, 11:49:35 AM

Author Topic: I have an interview tomorrow , but look at this contract they sent...  (Read 8193 times)

happyneko

Employment Contract

Terms and Conditions:
1. Job Description:

The ‘employee’ will work for the ‘employer’ as an English Instructor.
The ‘employee’ will do as follows “
a. Implementing curriculum given by the school.
b. Building the curriculum
   b.   Finding and using materials and resources to teach the better curriculum :
The ‘employer’ has a copyright about materials and resources which the ‘employee’ produces during period of employment.
The ‘employer’ doesn’t have a copyright about materials which was made by the ‘employee’ who made it in previous school.
   c.   Grading and evaluation of students
   d.   Attendance at teacher’s meetings and workshops
   e.   Other activities directly related to teaching
   f.   Monthly student management meetings with supervisor.
   g.   Participating in school events with no pay : meetings, sports day, open class, graduation, ceremony, teachers’ education, workshops, contests(essay, speech), evaluations and parents’ meeting
   h.   Prepare daily, weekly and monthly plans which should be handed into supervisor at the appropriate date.
   i.    Recording the tape for listening materials
   j.   teaching the class
   k.   If other teacher can’t do his(or her) job, the employee has to do his(or her) job within the employee’s working time.
   l.   

2. Place of Employment:
The “employee” will work for the “employer” at the following address:

[EMPLOYER INFORMATION]

3. Period of Employment
The period of employment will begin on 1ST September, 2013  and end on 31ST August, 2014

4. Regular Hours of Employment and Salary:
As a full time instructor, the “employee” will work Monday to Friday (excluding Saturday and Sunday) for a total of 40 hours a week(9am ~ 5pm).  30 hours will be devoted to teaching while the remaining 10 hours will be used as preparation time.  All classes exceeding 30 hours per week will be considered OVERTIME, and will be paid with the properly issued overtime salary of 20,000won/hour.
The base salary paid for regular hours of employment will be          won per month. The salary will be paid to the “employee” once per month. And it will be paid every 10th  next month.  The payment will include services rendered from the first day to the last day of the previous calendar month. 

5. Income Tax
Income Tax will be deducted from the monthly salary according to the Korean Tax Law.

6. Health Insurance & National Pension Plan
The “employer” will provide the “employee” with the National Health Insurance in accordance with Korean Law.  According to Korean Law, the “employer” and the “employee” will each share 50% of the cost of the National Health Insurance.  Every “employee” will also be provided with the National Pension Plan.  The “employee” and the “employer” will each contribute 4.5% of the “employee’s” salary into the plan.

7. Housing
A single studio apartment is offered to the “employee.”  The “employer” will be responsible for the key money and rent and will provide the apartment: The “employee” is expected to pay for  management fee, maintenance, utilities, internet, and telephone expenses (including the installation fee) from the date the “employee” enters the apartment to the date the “employee” vacates. The “employer” can deposit every 100,000KRW/month for 4 months.

If the “employee” chooses to find housing on his/her own, a minimum of three months notice is required.  A housing allowance of KRW500,000/month which is taxed will then be added to the salary.

The furniture provided to the “employee” is clean and nice, and must be returned in the same condition on the last day of this contract.  In return the “employee” agrees to respect and care for the apartment.

8. Severance Pay
Upon completion of this contract, the “employee” will receive one month’s salary as severance pay in accordance with the Korean Labor Law.

9. Holidays
In accordance with the Korean Labor Law, the “employee” will be paid for all statutory holidays:

a. Sundays
b. All public Korean holidays

10. Vacation
a. There are two vacations per one year. (summer season and winter season)
b. Each vacation is one week.
c. The exact dates will be determined at the “employer’s” convenience.  No deduction will be made to the regular monthly salary during the vacation days.  The unused vacation days will be paid as compensation at the end of this contract.

11. Absence Deduction
d. In the event the “employee” is sick and unable to work, the “employee’s” has the responsibility to notify the school in a timely fashion and ensure that the message is communicated effectively.
e. If an “employee” fails to come to work, it will be considered a breach of contract/unexcused absence and 200,000 won will be deducted from the “employee’s” pay for each not worked. If an “employee” fails to come to work for half of one day, it will be considered a breach of contract/unexcused absence and 100,000 won will be deducted from the “employee’s” pay for each each not worked.
f. Long term or severe illnesses will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis and may end as a cancellation of the contract.

12. Sick Days
g. The ‘emplayee’ can have the two sick days  per one year without deduction.
h. In the event the “employee” is sick and unable to work, it is the “employee’s” responsibility to notify the school in a timely fashion and ensure that the message is communicated effectively. 
i. The “employee” must also provide a doctor’s note from a hospital that clearly states,
i.i. the doctor’s contact information, including name, address and phone number,
i.ii. the date the note was generated,
i.iii. the name of the patient involved, and
i.iv. certification of medical consultation that indicates the nature and severity of the illness as well as how the patient was advised by the doctor.
j. If an “employee” fails to come to work without proper medical documentation, it will be considered a breach of contract/unexcused absence and 30,000 won will be deducted from the “employee’s” pay for each no working hour (or 200,000won will be deducted from the “employee’s” pay for each day).

13. Rights and Responsibilities
Both the “employer” and the “employee” are to be considered professionals and as such will treat each other with mutual respect and dignity.  However, since the “employee’ is working under the contract for the “employer,” the “employee” will make every effort to follow the direction, training and supervision of the “employer.”  The “employee” will also carry out the teaching assignments given by the “employer” in a cooperative and professional manner.

14. Dismissal
The “employer” may immediately dismiss the “employee” from employment under the following conditions, which include but are not limited to:
a. Violation of the laws of the Republic of South Korea
b. Teaching classes while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
c. False information provided during the interview process
d. No keeping time(Being late or closing early) for work or class on a repeated basis
e. Repeated failures to follow the teaching guidelines and school policies
f. Absence from work without valid reason
g. Behaving in a manner that compromises the integrity of the workplace environment including bullying, intimidation, refusal to cooperate, threats of or acts of physical violence and sexual harassment, backbiting.
h. Failure to comply with any of the standards as set out in this contract.

15. Changes to Contract
There will be no changes or additions to this contract without the written consent and approval of both parties.  Any changes made must be in writing and signed by both parties to be included in this contract.  Any changes made to this contract, whether verbal or other, without the knowledge and written consent of both parties are to be considered invalid, and as such are not part of this contract.

Date :      July 21, 2013   

Employer : _______________________________

[SCHOOL NAME]

Employee : _______________________________
         Teacher’s Name
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 03:38:51 PM by taeyang »

Offline taeyang

• Moderator - LVL 4
  • Waygook Lord
i removed the school's contact information.
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

Offline Rutherford

• Veteran
Do you want to pay 200,000 won to your employer when you take a sick day? 

Do you want to do lots of extra work without extra pay?

Do you want to receive extra pay instead of taking vacation?

If yes, take this job.  If no, don't.

Offline Grimne_Lothos

• Expert Waygook
2 sick days a year are plenty.   infinitely more than 0.

Offline iamrhart

• Hero of Waygookistan
Let me put this as bluntly as i can.

STAY-AWAY-FROM-HAGWONS (especially the private ones, non-franchise)

or

"S.T.A.Y. A.W.A.Y. F.R.O.M. H.A.G.W.O.N.S."
You only live today once. You wont get a second chance. You wont get to live it twice. So make the most of it.

A sane man in an insane world will appear insane.

Offline chuck2657

• Expert Waygook
2 sick days a year are plenty.   infinitely more than 0.

Infinitely times more than :P.  Just two more than.

Offline JCongo

• Veteran
So basically they will make you work tons of overtime with no extra pay because they will say it is a "workshop".

If you are sick for 1 day and don't follow those strict procedures you lose 10% of your monthly salary.

Offline Hoosier_Jedi

• Expert Waygook
  • I'm a knight of my own republic.
You should pass the name of this place around so that people know to avoid it.

Offline Absenthius

• Veteran

or

This this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this.

(This).

Offline Ley_Druid

• The Legend
Re: I have an interview tomorrow , but look at this contract they sent...
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 03:31:08 PM »

or

This this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this.

(This).

Yup. This.

Offline Fanwarrior

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 06:21:03 PM »
The contract is completely illegal. There are extremely strict limits on any kind of deductions that an employer can make and those are well in excess of what they are allowed. If I were you, I'd contact the hagwon to say you sent it to your friend who works at the labour board because you know how over the top illegal that is and you thought he'd get a real kick out of reading it. Then ask them to send you over the real contract.

Offline probablylauren

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 06:48:44 PM »
i work on the if there's a spelling mistake you should start raising eyebrows.
I'm loving iHerb. Check out http://www.iherb.com/ and enter my Rewards Code HLC923 to receive up to $10.00 off your first purchase

Offline RangerMcGreggor

• Super Waygook
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 09:26:55 AM »
Burn it

Offline Ley_Druid

• The Legend

Offline kleenx

• Adventurer
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 04:47:34 PM »
While I do agree that the contract isn't all that favorable, don't let these other posters scare you away from the academies (hakwons).

It's true you may have to do a bit more work (planning and no co teacher), but I've been at my academy for a little under a year and it's been going very well. I have do have to go along with the books they provide, but I am free to plan it however I want. I am able to play games with them and pretty much go at my own pace as long as I'm able to get across the lesson.

The no co-teacher thing can be annoying when the kids get out of hand, but there are various ways to get them to pay attention. Use a carrot and stick method. Give out candy, stickers, etc and if that doesn't work, send them outside, punish them, or warn them saying you will send them to the director. Works well.

The only thing that probably sucks is the late schedules. Other than that, I think hakwons aren't too bad. And maybe the extra work sometimes.