July 30, 2014, 06:00:47 PM

Author Topic: No air conditioning, heat index in the 100s today  (Read 7754 times)

Offline GoCyclones

• Expert Waygook
Re: No air conditioning, heat index in the 100s today
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2013, 03:14:17 PM »
A bit off-topic, but E-mart sells some male boxer undies that actually have this netting material to keep your family jewels from rubbing and chaffing your skin if you walk a lot.  Keeps things dryer too.  Haha. 

Offline sweetkat

• Veteran
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2013, 12:21:19 PM »
Having seen the sign that the air conditioning cannot be turned on until it is 28 outside, i decided to investigate other options.
I bought this handy cooler about a month ago.  It works better than a fan and at least i can keep my face cool. It works well.  You can use the usb and attach it to your computer but the cord is short. I invested in rechargeable batteries and it runs on the batteries for over five hours.  Since its portable at lunch time and with the kindys ill give them some of the air conditioning it provides and they love it.  well worth the price if you follow the instructions on how to maintain it.

http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/English/detailview/Item.aspx?goodscode=210752392&pos_shop_cd=RC&pos_class_cd=111111111&pos_class_kind=T

Offline travis1983

• Newgookin
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2013, 04:42:44 PM »
Im in a Jr High PS. If its hot and we are rather stressed and uncomfortable in class I turn the lights off, fans on and tell the kids to stop talking. Close eyes, breath and blank their minds...then think of cool running stream water in the mountains on a crisp December day, cloudy autums, etc...cooling and relaxing thoughts. It helps

Offline Space

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2013, 04:52:23 PM »
Grin and bear it, guys. Grin and bear it.

Offline Fanwarrior

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2013, 07:57:30 PM »
Having seen the sign that the air conditioning cannot be turned on until it is 28 outside, i decided to investigate other options.
I bought this handy cooler about a month ago.  It works better than a fan and at least i can keep my face cool. It works well.  You can use the usb and attach it to your computer but the cord is short. I invested in rechargeable batteries and it runs on the batteries for over five hours.  Since its portable at lunch time and with the kindys ill give them some of the air conditioning it provides and they love it.  well worth the price if you follow the instructions on how to maintain it.

http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/English/detailview/Item.aspx?goodscode=210752392&pos_shop_cd=RC&pos_class_cd=111111111&pos_class_kind=T

I see you got that from a global seller. Did you actually check the price in the US? I expect they have jacked it up even more than it'd cost you to buy it on amazon and ship it.

Make yourself one of these

Offline Craash

• Veteran
  • one day....
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2013, 08:12:30 PM »
Hahahaha - my school is going to buy me a couple of "fans" for my classroom.

Yeah!  That's going to help circulate the hot air!

Offline oskinny1

• Super Waygook
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2013, 10:38:31 PM »

I see you got that from a global seller. Did you actually check the price in the US? I expect they have jacked it up even more than it'd cost you to buy it on amazon and ship it.

That looks pretty good! $50 on Amazon, so it looks like it would cost the same after shipping and tax (since Korea likes to tax Amazon products).

Offline philby1985

• Super Waygook
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2013, 12:06:44 AM »
Buncha wussies.  30 ain't hot.  It's pleasant.  I love hot and humid weather.

Agreed. This weather has been fantastic. The days are long and I have finally given my cough the boot.

The weather reminds me of winter (yes, winter) in northern Australia  8)

Offline Deesh

• Super Waygook
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2013, 09:36:38 PM »
No AC at my school yet, and to be fair, it's not really necessary yet.

I'd prefer not to use it now and then be allowed to use it liberally in late July and August, rather than only being able to use it in rations for the whole summer.

Offline Peekay1982

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2013, 02:11:52 AM »
According to accuweather, the forecast high today is 89F, and the heat index is 99F

I have no idea how hot that is. Why can't you people use Celsius like the other 95.5% of the world's population?

Offline Chicagohotdog

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Ketchup? Get outta here!
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2013, 10:14:48 AM »
According to accuweather, the forecast high today is 89F, and the heat index is 99F

I have no idea how hot that is. Why can't you people use Celsius like the other 95.5% of the world's population?

89 is 31.7C.  99 is 37.2C.

Takes 2 seconds to convert numbers.  We have to do it all the time.  We can't help the system that our country uses so calm the heck down.
"We need not fear North Korea, for we have 2nd grade middle school students."

Discount of up to $10 off of first order on iHerb.com ---> CHK096

Offline country09

• Super Waygook
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2013, 10:55:51 AM »

The time it took you to create this post you could of gone to Google and converted it. It is fun to get angry about things that people have no control over.

Offline TheNightManCometh

• Adventurer
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2013, 11:12:09 AM »
If I had a dollar for everytime I have heard the "just you wait" line, as in:

Me: It's June and still cool outside. What's the deal?
Korean Vet: Oh, just you wait! Just. You. Wait...

So, I'm waiting. I'm waiting for this sweltering hot weather that I have heard so much about.

Maybe it's because I live in Gyeongju???

I went to Seoul this past weekend and it was lovely. Nice and warm. But when I got back to G-town it was a lot cooler and I was bummed.

I guess this is the season of the year where I will look like the tough guy. Come October, I will be the one whining non-stop about how cold it is... not so much whining as shivering like a crazy person, teeth chattering violently once the temps drop below 50F/10C.

Offline Mezoti97

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2013, 01:02:38 PM »
No AC at my school yet, and to be fair, it's not really necessary yet.

I'd prefer not to use it now and then be allowed to use it liberally in late July and August, rather than only being able to use it in rations for the whole summer.

At my school, I'm not allowed to use the air conditioner at all for the entire summer. I'm also not allowed to turn on the heater during the entire winter, either. You are lucky you are able to use it for at least a couple of months.

Offline MayorHaggar

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2013, 02:27:37 PM »
They turned the heater back on in the bathroom, lol. Hallelujah!

Offline confusedsafferinkorea

• The Legend
  • The only thing that is constant in life, is change
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2013, 07:32:30 AM »
We are allowed to turn on the AC after 3 pm, all the kids are gone by then.   :undecided: :undecided:
Everything is not as it seems.

No one owes you anything.... get over it.

NEVER think a failure is the end of the world, it is the beginning of a new opportunity.

The earth is flat....... I think, ha ha ha !!

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

Offline mikeD

• Super Waygook
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2013, 03:09:23 PM »
Oh my god! So much resistance to the heat. I big part of  feeling hot and cold is really in the mind. Just put a smile on your face an enjoy the beauty of life.

Craving...aversion...craving...aversion...it is what it is. Change your mind and the heat can be enjoyable.

Offline kkakdugi

• Adventurer
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2013, 11:59:35 AM »
I've taught several summer courses at several universities in Osaka, JP with practically no AC. The nearly worthless window units were .... well, how I should I say it? Oh yes, worthless! After each class, I was going to the bathroom to wash my face from all the sweatiness.

Best advice: Drink lots of weather and carry around a hand towel.

Offline confusedsafferinkorea

• The Legend
  • The only thing that is constant in life, is change
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2013, 01:41:27 PM »
I've taught several summer courses at several universities in Osaka, JP with practically no AC. The nearly worthless window units were .... well, how I should I say it? Oh yes, worthless! After each class, I was going to the bathroom to wash my face from all the sweatiness.

Best advice: Drink lots of weather and carry around a hand towel.

Only if it is rainy weather though!!    ;D ;D
Everything is not as it seems.

No one owes you anything.... get over it.

NEVER think a failure is the end of the world, it is the beginning of a new opportunity.

The earth is flat....... I think, ha ha ha !!

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

Offline Ramplo

• Adventurer
  • Practice makes better, but nobody's perfect.
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2013, 01:46:34 PM »
First Americans don't use the metric system mostly because of France...http://science.howstuffworks.com/why-us-not-on-metric-system1.htm

I have an individual AC unit in my classroom and a separate one in this tiny add-on room I have.  I was told to go for it in the tiny room but not the big room...and the tiny room holds a whopping 8 or so students...

So I usually open my windows to get a cross breeze, just like all the other classes.  Turns out this is disturbing too many classes so we aren't allowed to open the windows that open into the hallway anymore...and I'm not sure about the ones that face outside but if those aren't allowed to be open there will be some big problems.

Recent Lesson Plans

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment