October 24, 2014, 10:14:59 PM

Author Topic: Warm Up PPT's for the first 5mins of class  (Read 3739 times)

Offline jojo_funk

• Explorer
Warm Up PPT's for the first 5mins of class
« on: March 28, 2013, 05:24:14 PM »
After a year of freeloading on this site, It's about time I started uploading files on this website!! I used these PPT's as a quick brain warm up activity for the first 5mins of my classes for Gr 1 +3's and they both enjoyed it. Basically it's 2 or more pictures that make up a compound word or phrase, like "sand" + "pic of witch" = sandwich!  Enjoy!~~~

Offline jojo_funk

• Explorer
Re: Warm Up PPT's for the first 5mins of class
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 05:40:20 PM »
This one's titled "How many sentences can you make" with these words...

Offline jojo_funk

• Explorer
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 06:07:41 PM »
This one's Brainteasers... you can either put one brainteaser up each week as a warm up or fill up an entire class playing the "Brainteaser Game." How to Play:

[for 6 teams]
1. Make 6 copies of brainteasers and number them from 1-5 in different order so that each team starts with a different brainteaser.
2. One person from each team must write down the answer and show it to me. Then I would give them the next riddle. 5 points for each correct answer.
3. The first team to answer all 5 riddles wins candy!

Offline Lawrence

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 12:58:34 PM »
Thanks for these warm ups. I will adapt these to my classes. Please post more like this if you can. I'm always looking for warm ups.

Offline kimjones

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 01:05:34 PM »
Thanks OP, but I'm certain these aren't really your ppts.  You just re-uploaded some stuff that you downloaded here, without really giving credit where its due.

Offline aklimkewicz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 01:29:29 PM »
This is the game that I play with every single class:

http://www.waygook.org/index.php/topic,51110.0.html

It has become a pretty big contest to get the most words at my school. Takes a bit of extra work outside of class to tally the results, but my students enjoy it.
Dropbox -- the best way to coordinate files between home and school. https://db.tt/JSMXsrdm

What even more space? Get Copy for safe & secure file management. https://copy.com?r=a9AB36

Offline BirdCicc

• Waygookin
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 01:31:36 PM »
These are awesome! thank you!!!  ;D ;D

Offline jojo_funk

• Explorer
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 06:17:39 PM »
KIMJONES, you're partially right--- my Warm up Words PPTs are a mixture of different PPT files I've come across on waygook, along with my own additional slides. There's no way I can remember where I came across this PPT or that PPT, but I spent my time gathering and compiling and adding my own slides to organize everything neatly into several PPTs that can be used for up to 7 weeks of warm up activities. Either way, waygook is a community for sharing so I would hope nobody is bitter if their ppts were incorporated into my ppts cus it just means they did a good job.

[[ the brainteasers game was 100% my idea though! SO CREDIT ME FOR THAT :p]]   

Offline catherinelouise

• Explorer
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 04:51:59 PM »
JOJO FUNK thank you for the PPTs.  Im using them at a middle school grade 1,2, and # 
Iíve seen these all over waygook but itís great to have a feed that has them nicely organized.
Who cares that there not originally your work, most feeds around waygook have been taken remade and redone.  Thatís what this site is for.  Free sharing.
Thank you for taking the time to upload :)  Much appreciated.

Offline aklimkewicz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 06:55:22 PM »
Here is another ppt similar to those posted above. I don't think I repeated anything from the previous ones. Some are much more difficult than others.
Dropbox -- the best way to coordinate files between home and school. https://db.tt/JSMXsrdm

What even more space? Get Copy for safe & secure file management. https://copy.com?r=a9AB36

Online Mr C

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2013, 02:41:14 AM »
KIMJONES, you're partially right--- my Warm up Words PPTs are a mixture of different PPT files I've come across on waygook, along with my own additional slides. There's no way I can remember where I came across this PPT or that PPT, but I spent my time gathering and compiling and adding my own slides to organize everything neatly into several PPTs that can be used for up to 7 weeks of warm up activities. Either way, waygook is a community for sharing so I would hope nobody is bitter if their ppts were incorporated into my ppts cus it just means they did a good job.

[[ the brainteasers game was 100% my idea though! SO CREDIT ME FOR THAT :p]]

Well then, you have a flaw in the train problem.  When the two trains meet, only their noses are equidistant from the west coast.  The eastbound train has its entire length closer to the west coast than any part of the west bound train.  Perhaps your answer would be correct if you phrased it such that the two trains are "passing each other". 

Attached are some puzzlers I used after mids or exams with my high school boys.  I think with adaptation, many of them are suitable for any age.  For puzzles like the lighthouse, or the blind man on the cliff, the game was for students to ask questions that I could answer Yes or No. 

Offline kimjones

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 04:00:33 PM »
Here's a site with some good Brain Bashers and Brain Bats.  It really makes students think outside of the box (which I've found is often difficult for Korean students.)

http://www.brainbashers.com

Depending on your students level, you can find different puzzles for them. 

Examples of brain bats are:

CHIMADENA = ?

H I J K L M N O = ?

A lot of brain bats use prepositions so you can tell them that as a hint.

CLOUD   = ??
   TH

Answers, Made in China and H2O and Thundercloud.

Recent Lesson Plans

Halloween Bomb Game by gotngoidea
[Today at 06:33:14 PM]

Vocabulary Game: Creepy or Cute by aklimkewicz
[Today at 06:25:53 PM]

Halloween Pub Quiz by valium kilmer
[Today at 05:45:07 PM]

punishment assignments?? by Pattinsons
[Today at 05:44:41 PM]

Scary story activities for 6th graders. by sonofthedude777
[Today at 04:57:26 PM]

Buy/Sell/Trade