October 24, 2017, 05:54:06 AM

Author Topic: Does anyone actually love Korean food or are you deceiving yourselves?  (Read 34261 times)

Offline silkysmooth

• Adventurer
I’ve heard a few people talk about how awesome Korean food is, but then they say things like, “I always try to eat everything they put on my plate so I don’t offend them.”  If Korean food is so delicious, wouldn’t you gladly eat what they put on your plate?  It just seems to me like a lot of people pretend to love the food in order to please their hosts.

Some people claim they hated it when they first got here but “it grew” on them or “it’s an acquired taste”. If Korean food is so tasty, why does it have to grow on you? When I lived in Brazil I loved most Brazilian foods the minute I tasted them. If food is delicious, it’s delicious from the first moment I taste it. I assume after being forced to eat vile things for a long time, people start to tell themselves its delicious. If I grew up eating cow manure my whole life, I’m sure I’d have convinced myself that cow manure is delicious with the right type of spices and preparation.

Offline Aristotle100

• Veteran
Re: Does anyone actually love Korean food or are you deceiving yourselves?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 01:28:24 PM »
Good question! I'd say Korean food is decent enough. I've heard some foreigners here say "OMG Korean food is the best!" To me this translates to "OMG I havent traveled a lot"
WinRAR, WinRAR, chicken dinrar

Offline shhowse

• Featured Contributor
  • Expert Waygook
  • E2 Visa High School, 5 years
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 01:32:03 PM »
For me, there are certain dishes that I truly do love and get cravings for (bbeo hye jang guk, wow!). Then there's the rest of it that I really dislike (miyeok guk  :huh:) or am ambivalent about (kimchi).

Offline Suza

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 01:33:25 PM »
Wouldn't go as far to say love! But, I certainly like galbi and dakgalbi and one or two of the soups.

Offline tipani

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 01:35:56 PM »
I genuinely love most Korean food.  There are a couple of things I just won't eat (soondae, bondaegi) but I love the vast majority. 

Offline papayapie

• Super Waygook
  • H8SK
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 01:36:01 PM »
Don't like it and I don't try to pretend I do for anyone.

Haven't eaten it in about six months now. At first, like most new teachers do, I tried to choke it down at lunch to appease my coworkers. Then I realized I don't care what they think and that I will never see them again after this year, so why force myself to eat stuff that seriously made me want to puke? So I canned the school lunch and said no to any school dinner and haven't regretted it since. The only thing that's okay is the BBQ stuff and I like dak galbi. I don't like anything enough to bother trying to eat it or find it when I go back home.

In my opinion, Korean food sucks. It's either too bland or too spicy. Debone your fish for gods sake before you serve it. Stop eating so much tofu and seaweed. NEITHER TASTES GOOD!

Offline Hongsam

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 01:38:36 PM »
Don't hate it, but I'm not going to put it on the same level as something like Italian cuisine.

Offline tipani

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 01:40:46 PM »
^ what do you eat papayapie?  Crappy sandwiches from Tous Les Jour? 

Offline specter13

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 01:45:15 PM »
Good question! I'd say Korean food is decent enough. I've heard some foreigners here say "OMG Korean food is the best!" To me this translates to "OMG I havent traveled a lot"

For me I have tried a lot of different kinds of food and it is still my favorite. I am dead serious when I say that one of the reasons that I moved to this country is because Korean food is my favorite kind of food.

I lived in the SF area before here where you can get almost any kind of food you want. I don't really care for cooked fish and a few other dishes but there really is a lot of good food here IMO.

Offline justanotherwaygook

• Featured Contributor
  • The Legend
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 01:46:18 PM »
I don't care for much Korean food.  I'm a pretty big fan of galbi-jjim, the grilled stuff is good (minus the ssam) and I enjoy the bokkeum dishes and dakgalbi enough.  Most other things are unimpressive to me because I don't see much depth (the foods I do like aren't that deep either, I just like the salty-sweet or spicy-sweet meatiness of them).  Having eaten in over a dozen countries plus a background in food, I can say that Korean food is one of my least favorites.  I dislike the overuse of gochu.  Given the choice, I would only eat Korean food once in a while.
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

Offline Jrong

• The Legend
  • i love food
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 01:47:54 PM »
I can easily believe that ppl really love the food -- for emotional reasons. The only reason I love food from certain areas of the world is bc I have a strong emotional attachment to that area. Strong emotional experiences that bind me to that culture. I can recognize that the food's not objectively good apart from my own emotional attachments but if I hadn't travelled so much, I probably wouldn't be nearly as objective.

I'm guessing that ppl who say they love Korean food have a strong emotional attachment to Korea (a relationship(s) of some kind) AND they really haven't lived in a lot of other countries. So they weren't able to see this experience replicated many times (as ppl who have had deep emotional experiences around the world, ehem, like me have) and hence not able to be as objective about why they like what they like.
"When in doubt...ask Troglodyte" ~0mnslnd

Offline madison79

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 01:50:06 PM »
I really like it.  So does my buddy. 
It's -ev to deal with some people.

Offline lee233

• Super Waygook
  • Some people's kids (sigh)
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 01:50:47 PM »
I have been here for six months now and I can say that I do like most Korean food. I have some issues with them not removing bones from meat, but beyond that I am pretty okay with most dishes. There are foods that I will miss when I leave, but more in a nostalgic way then a craving like the way I crave Mexican and American foods.

P.S. My favorite Asian food so far has been Thai food. That stuff I am absolutely in love with. Any decent places to get some around here?
If wishes were horses beggars would ride

Offline taewon

• Super Waygook
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 01:55:54 PM »
I've lived in a bunch of places and love some Korean dishes and will crave them. SoonDuBu Oh, how I love you  :-* and miss cracking eggs in you when I'm gone. Sumgyupsal in lettuce with grilled onions, garlic,and  pepper sauce. m,,mm,m I like kimchi and will crave it after a week or two w/out it.

I miss somtum/curry from Thailand all the time too. I don't miss Pad Thai(ate it for months straight because I was broke)
I miss Tex Mex from the border states in the U.S.
Vietnam frog legs in lemongrass sauce and things wrapped and cooked in leaves in general. I could go on but, I guess I find food that I love everywhere, after a year or so in a place I lock in about 4-5 favorites. I don't miss much American food besides Tex-mex and fast food -Sonic chilichz dogs, chedder peppers, LJS, ect...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 02:07:03 PM by taewon »
"One year they asked me to be poster boy - for birth control."
Rodney Dangerfield

Offline nomad_kate

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 02:02:56 PM »
I've been here three years, and I leave in six weeks.  More than anything, I'm OVER Korean food.  Too much of it tastes the same and uses the same flavours.  I also don't like the basic ingredients in a number of dishes (tofu, seaweed, anything with tentacles and fish with bones).  My school lunches are not awesome (cheap, mass-produced and not flavorful), and I've actually opted out for my last month.

I'm sure I'll have some nostalgic galbi at home at some point, but probably not any time soon!

Offline gtrain83

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2013, 02:06:24 PM »
The lunch I just ate was awesome and I would gladly eat it again and again. Some golgi and that awesome soy bean sauce for the meat/cucumbers.

However, if I had to choose, I would pick Thai/Taiwanese food over Korean any day. But, I don't find it hard for people to really like the food here.

Offline the map

• Adventurer
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2013, 02:09:22 PM »
With the exception of a few dishes (seolleongtang, jokbal) I truly love Korean food.  I will miss Jjim dalk, gamjatang, sundubu jjigae, and kimchi jjigae whenever I don't live here anymore.  Jogaegui in Busan was one of the best meals I can recall having anywhere.

My guess is that a lot of people who complain about Korean food are basing their complaints on terrible school lunches, or mediocre restaurants.  There's a world of difference between the stuff that my school serves as "gamjatang" and what you get at a decent restaurant.   

Offline 0mnslnd

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2013, 02:12:10 PM »
I do eat Korean food, almost everything there is except for pig intestines, pork in general and rice.
However, I won't say that I'm madly in love with the food though... I'd rather say I love Thai cuisine, or Mexican food. Not to mention South African, Indian and even Chinese food.

Koreans are very sensitive about their food, I'm not aware of any other culture in the world would be so offended if you don't like their food. In my opinion they simply don't care. But Koreans... no, if you don't like the food, you probably also think Dokdo belongs to Japan.

And many Koreans also lack self-confidence regarding their national cuisine.
"Is it too spicy for you?" Spicy is actually code for "disgusting"?

E.g
NET:" I choose not to eat lunch provided by the school."
Severely shocked KT: "Why? Is it too spicy("disgusting?")
NET:" Yes, it is too spicy (spicy= disgusting)
Severely shocked, yet proud (now feeling superior to other cultures) KT:
I know. Foreigners think Korean food is too spicy!

Or...
Lunch lady Ajumma to NET: "You will not like/eat Dwen-Jang-Jiggae. It is too spicy.
In this case, spicy is code for = I think its disgusting and smells terrible, but I don't want the foreigner to think bad about OUR Korean food.

Delicious, well that is code for Edible. Well, not always, some food really are delicious, but no need to shove the deliciousness and the word delicious in one's face all the time.

Anyway, "like", yes some are likeable, perhaps Dolsot Bimbimbap among others.
Love? Not really me.By all means if others do.

Out. Never been happier

Offline Frozencat99

• The Legend
  • #MoonPrincess
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2013, 02:17:15 PM »
As others have said, I wouldn't go so far as to say I love it. I do enjoy it a lot and will miss many dishes when I go back, though I've learned to make quite a few side items.

Coffee is delicious but many people would agree that it's an acquired and time-refined taste. Shouldn't it be delicious the first time?
Beware the Homosexual Industrial Complex -- http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-june-17-2013/left-behind

You can leave your heterophobia behind.

Offline gtrain83

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2013, 02:18:07 PM »
With the exception of a few dishes (seolleongtang, jokbal) I truly love Korean food.  I will miss Jjim dalk, gamjatang, sundubu jjigae, and kimchi jjigae whenever I don't live here anymore.  Jogaegui in Busan was one of the best meals I can recall having anywhere.

My guess is that a lot of people who complain about Korean food are basing their complaints on terrible school lunches, or mediocre restaurants.  There's a world of difference between the stuff that my school serves as "gamjatang" and what you get at a decent restaurant.   

Good point. This hanu (hanoo?) place by me is so good. If I could afford I would eat dinner there every night.

And it's Takeshima not Dokdo  :laugh: :P

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment