November 01, 2014, 03:51:30 AM

Author Topic: Has anyone had to do a psych evaluation as part of the medical for recontracting  (Read 1932 times)

Offline Canonite

• Expert Waygook
  • o.O
Hi guys,

I don't really care about this, more curious (I admit, at first I was a bit peeved, though).

I'm about to start my third contract here, so I went in for my annual medical...well, after doing all the usual drug, AIDS, etc stuff, I had to come and get the results a few days later. I was requested to bring a Korean coteacher *AND* I was given a 90-question psych test (one of those lame answer with 1-5 things) to be filled out with my coteacher sitting there.

Now, I have no issues with this from the standpoint that I am a perfectly well-balanced individual with no physical or mental issues of any sort.

HOWEVER, I felt a little offended by the fact that I had to take a supervised test that asked me everything from whether I think someone else is thinking my thoughts for me to whether I've had any inclination to destroy/murder things. The one that took the cake, however, was the question that inquired about my sex drive in the past week or two. One: what does that have to do with anything? Going too far... Two: There's no right answer...if you have a healthy sex drive, you're a menace to children. If you have a declining/low sex drive, then it's a sign of depression.

Anyways, it seemed to be a form they got off the internet and photocopied (didn't look very official at all), and I've never heard of anyone having to do this. Of course I passed every aspect of the recontract process with flying colours, and I'm not going to make an issue about this with my school (they love me and I love them), but still...it's a bit annoying that they're always thinking up new ways to show us that they don't trust us and that, as far as they're concerned we're a bunch of AIDS-carrying, drug-addicted psychopaths. I've passed all the tests needed to get into this country, time to treat me like any of the other Korean teachers at my school, not a second-class human being.

/rant :D
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 12:24:30 PM by Canonite »
*click*

Offline shhowse

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • Expert Waygook
  • E2 Visa High School, 5 years
Agreed, that's totally too far! What's the point of it even? I'd be so pissed and frustrated about it.

While we're on the subject, a friend of mine down here, a female, just went through her medical check for re-signing her contract (possibly her third year as well), and she said they got even more in-depth than ever, including examinations and testing of all her lady parts! She implied there was not area of her body left unscathed. Without going into too much detail, it just sounded horrible.

Where do they draw the line!?!

Offline taewon

• Super Waygook
Hi guys,

I don't really care about this, more curious (I admit, at first I was a bit peeved, though).

I'm about to start my third contract here, so I went in for my annual medical...well, after doing all the usual drug, AIDS, etc stuff, I had to come and get the results a few days later. I was requested to bring a Korean coteacher *AND* I was given a 90-question psych test (one of those lame answer with 1-5 things) to be filled out with my coteacher sitting there.

Now, I have no issues with this from the standpoint that I am a perfectly well-balanced individual with no physical or mental issues of any sort.

HOWEVER, I felt a little offended by the fact that I had to take a supervised test that asked me everything from whether I think someone else is thinking my thoughts for me to whether I've had any inclination to destroy/murder things. The one that took the cake, however, was the question that inquired about my sex drive in the past week or two. One: what does that have to do with anything? Going too far... Two: There's no right answer...if you have a healthy sex drive, you're a menace to children. If you have a declining/low sex drive, then it's a sign of depression.

Anyways, it seemed to be a form they got off the internet and photocopied (didn't look very official at all), and I've never heard of anyone having to do this. Of course I passed every aspect of the recontract process with flying colours, and I'm not going to make an issue about this with my school (they love me and I love them), but still...it's a bit annoying that they're always thinking up new ways to show us that they don't trust us and that, as far as they're concerned we're a bunch of AIDS-carrying, drug-addicted psychopaths. I've passed all the tests needed to get into this country, time to treat me like any of the other Korean teachers at my school, not a second-class human being.

/rant :D
That is going to far! Every year they find more BS to make us do. Sorry Canonite -I would be pissed too!
"One year they asked me to be poster boy - for birth control."
Rodney Dangerfield

Offline caranundomiel

• Adventurer
Sounds to me like in typical Korean style they got ahold of an idea and ran off with it half-cocked and barely thought out with little understanding of what they were actually doing.

I can see where teachers would be offended, but you have to consider it from the governments point of view.  They are trying to keep people safe.  And I know that more likely than not most of us are perfectly normal, healthy human beings but you can't tell me (especially those of you that have been here for 3 years) that you haven't met the "weird" foreigners that even other waygooks find difficult to be around.

I can honestly say that I have known more than a couple of people who came to Korea for all the wrong reasons and at least one of these teachers didn't make it back home. :-(

I wish the government would get it together and have these things done more professionally (and privately... there are some things a CO doesn't need to know.) but I see no problem with a psych eval if you're working with kids especially.

Offline Suz-goose

• Super Waygook
While we're on the subject, a friend of mine down here, a female, just went through her medical check for re-signing her contract (possibly her third year as well), and she said they got even more in-depth than ever, including examinations and testing of all her lady parts! She implied there was not area of her body left unscathed. Without going into too much detail, it just sounded horrible.
Where do they draw the line!?!

Omg, I can only guess with horror at what you are hinting at here. If this is required of me next year I am out. My sex life is so not Uncle Kim's business!

Offline flukeriffic

• Veteran
Actually, I had to do a Psych evaluation too when I renewed last year. It was the silliest thing ever.

I sat down with the Psychiatrist (I'm assuming?) and she asked me 3 questions. Where are you from? Why are you here? Do you like Korea? After giving the generic responses, she said thanks and then I left. Strange, but not a big deal. However, you're psych test sounds way more intense! o_O

Offline Canonite

• Expert Waygook
  • o.O
caranundomiel: You kind of missed the majority of my point here...one of my big issues with this is that in my school, I was the ONLY one who had to do this in order to be employed next year. My problem is that we, foreigners, are constantly tested, poked, prodded and hassled, while the Korean teachers - doing the same job in the same place - have to do none of this. I understand if this was part of the entry requirement into Korea...fine, you want to find out as much about people as possible. But to do this for my THIRD year, is a little ridiculous. Besides, it's not foreigners having sex with 12 year old students that's making the news, and it's not foreigners who beat kids with sticks regularly. Of course other minor points are: my sex life is none of their business and so on.

To everyone else: I'm glad to see I'm not the only one thinking this was a little over the line.

shhowse: That sounds crazy...and very invasive!
*click*

Offline kiwityke

• Super Waygook
I didn't even have a medical when I changed schools at the end of my first year! The school just said you look healthy enough, we wont send you unless immigration or someone says you have to go...Immigration don't actually require a medical to renew your visa either.

Lakewood

Drug tests yes.  Annual multiple document checks (Ed Office/request from a National Assemblyman/Provincial Ed office, etc.), yes.  Pyschological tests, no.

However, I should have gone for a private pyschological examination when I switched from GEPIK to EPIK.  I'm very glad to have left EPIK today.   

Offline 0mnslnd

• Expert Waygook
No.lets hope it stays that way.knock on wood. After 3 odd years here I dont think my mental health is what it used to be... :cry:
Out. Never been happier

Offline Canonite

• Expert Waygook
  • o.O
No.lets hope it stays that way.knock on wood. After 3 odd years here I dont think my mental health is what it used to be... :cry:

hahaha....yes...also, I love your sig. I've had to point that out to people a few times. We're here because we serve a purpose to the government, nothing more, nothing less. (And yes, it provides us with a life many of us, including me, love, but we're certainly not guests...the minute we stop being useful we'll be asked to pack our bags and go home).
*click*

Lakewood

When I got married, my mother suggested that I actively go seek out marriage counseling, a sort of pyschological evaluation, at the time. 

Recent Lesson Plans

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment