November 22, 2017, 08:57:57 PM

Author Topic: Alice in Wonderland Camp  (Read 9793 times)

Offline AGMS_Superstar

• Veteran
Alice in Wonderland Camp
« on: December 12, 2012, 11:50:06 AM »
Post #1
I made these materials and used them for my summer camp this year.
I teach at an all girls middle school and my students enjoyed the camp.
I hope my activities are interesting.
Please adapt them to suit you.

PS this is for the Tim Burton version

Offline AGMS_Superstar

• Veteran
Re: Alice in Wonderland Camp
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 12:57:14 PM »
Post #2 - powerpoints
I made these materials and used them for my summer camp this year.
I teach at an all girls middle school and my students enjoyed the camp.
I hope my activities are interesting.
Please adapt them to suit you.

PS this is for the Tim Burton version

Offline AGMS_Superstar

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 01:00:09 PM »
Please let me know what you think.
What you would change.
What you would add.
&c

Thanks

Offline raven kat

• Waygookin
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 10:52:46 AM »
this looks really great for the 3rd grade girls at the m.s. !!

thanx so much for sharing : )

i'm just curious where the review questions for scenes 8-9, 10-11, and 12-13 are? the comprehension ppt i opened only had review questions for scenes 1-3, 4-6, and 6-7 . did i miss them or are they in another ppt?

Offline jensurfsup

• Newgookin
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 01:59:42 PM »
Where did you get the Alice in Wonderland film with Korean Subs? Or did you use it without subtitles? Thanks!

Offline K

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 02:42:55 PM »
Where did you get the Alice in Wonderland film with Korean Subs? Or did you use it without subtitles? Thanks!

I also did an Alice in Wonderland themed day last winter. I bought the DVD from Home Plus. I believe it was 2000 won and it came with subtitles.

Also, I'm going to post some materials I found online. I think they were from a Girl Guide website. Anyways, someone may be able to find something useful. We used the word searches. We also made snow globes.

I'm sorry they aren't properly labeled! I must have only used the first one, which is the word search.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 02:49:23 PM by K »

Offline jensurfsup

• Newgookin
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 10:27:16 AM »
Excellent, thank you. I was thinking of just buying the DVD for this! I will make a trip to Homeplus. Also, I will be using this Lesson for mu HS girls. This is GREAT! :)

Also, missing the Q & A PPT fore scenes past 6 and 7. Your lesson plan shows you have them.. any way you could please upload it if you have them?

Offline mrbarryobama

• Adventurer
  • 미국원어민
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 08:23:19 PM »
Hey Superstar. I've just perused through some of your ideas. I think the "answer a question with the opposite answer or say an answer backwards" game will be a blast. Good work!

Offline dmargallo

• Explorer
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 02:53:11 AM »
My mentor teacher sprung the last minute winter camp on me...and hand in the plan tomorrow this afternoon.  I'm so happy to have found this. Thanks for the upload and all the creative ppts.  You're a lifesaver! =^__^Y

Offline ValenciaPilgrim

• Waygookin
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 10:28:00 AM »
This camp looks AWESOME!  You may already know this but if you google "Alice and Wonderland black and white drawings" you can find the amazing illustrations from the first edition.  I'm sure you could use them for a million different things like powerpoints, give them to students to color when their brains need a break, make a collage, make a comprehension quiz where they have to match the picture to a summary paragrapy, ect.

I taught a storybook camp in America and we used these pictures to make buttons when our brains needed a break...oh what I wouldn't give for a button maker here in Korea...

Offline AGMS_Superstar

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 02:49:33 PM »
Thank you to everyone for the feedback.
This was my first camp idea, so I am sorry if some of the things are not good.

raven kat, I'm sorry... I didn't make them>_< I went and looked at the materials again for the review questions. I think that I wrote in the plan that I would do them, but when it actually came to it, I decided to leave them out.
It was very much "a work in progress". The plan was merely a framework.

The dvd I bought was from gmarket and it had Korean subtitles (to answer jensurfsup's question)

ValenciaPilgrim, that is a great tip! Thanks! I will be sure to check them out. Can always use the camp for my after school classes.
Ooh, making buttons sounds fun!
I really wanted my students to make the charm bracelets with shrinky-dinks paper, but couldn't find any in Korea, so I asked my American friend to get me some when they went home for the vacation.

dmargallo and mrbarryobama, thank you for your comments.

K, thank you for sharing additional resources. We can make great lessons by getting ideas from many people!^^

Offline beehappy1986

• Waygookin
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 02:27:37 PM »

Offline sweetjane2011

• Super Waygook
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 12:51:51 PM »
Here are some nice worksheets based on Tim Burton's movie of Alice in Wonderland. All you need to do is click on the download link at the bottom of the page.

http://www.dinnen.co.uk/work/alice-in-wonderland.htm

Offline garden112

• Waygookin
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2013, 02:45:14 PM »
it absolutely will be interesting~!! Thank u sooooo much^^
i really want to learn how to make this kind of materials :-*

Offline JasonB13

• Adventurer
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2013, 10:27:24 AM »
These are some great material. I am thinking of doing a winter camp with this theme. I'm going to have to switch some things around and maybe do the old disney cartoon version for my elementary school kids. But some great ideas and thank you for sharing

Offline beehappy1986

• Waygookin
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2013, 10:46:31 AM »
http://wherewillmyfeetpart2.blogspot.kr/2013/08/alice-in-wonderland-camp.html

I put all my ideas on my blog. Here is my powerpoint to go with it. I mixed up previous powerpoints. Thanks to the previous owners! ^^

Offline beehappy1986

• Waygookin
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2013, 10:49:05 AM »
We also have to make a book to go with it. Here's mine  ;D Again, I used some stuff from previous post.

Offline AGMS_Superstar

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2013, 09:11:15 AM »
Thank you to everyone who added to this post. Together we can make a simple idea into an amazing camp!
Makes me want to do the camp again, lol

Offline toddsqui

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2014, 05:25:22 PM »
These all seem like great activities, but I think I'm going to need to scale them down a bit for the 28 students that I am doing this summer camp for, all of whom are at different levels of proficiency. I was only able to secure the classic cartoon Alice in Wonderland DVD.

Does anyone have any experience with running this particular camp for larger groups? If so, what did you do?

I don't want to do a bunch of random classes for the summer camp this year, so any help/advice/recommendations would be muuuuch appreciated.

Thanking in advance,

Todd

I created a small web course for newbie teachers on Udemy here.

Offline jen7jack

• Adventurer
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2014, 06:24:19 PM »
I'm doing Alice in Wonderland too this year for 5th & 6th. But I'm using Tim Burton's remake. I have 0 budget and 0 help so my activities are mostly going to be paper based . . .

http://www.alice-in-wonderland.net/mad-tea-party-ideas.html

This site has some cool random stuff that you can incorporate and use to keep the theme going while using other games that you prefer (bomb games, pictionary, &c -- the old stand-by's).

Any of the paper based activities (like making invitations) work well with large classes. Also, depending on the grade you're teaching, 6th graders in my experience don't like doing anything large scale anyways. Or anything active. Or anything that requires participation from everyone . . . For the younger kids, I usually have large classes and I still do crazy stuff like relay races in the classroom and it's fine. As long as you keep it contained and not have everyone up and running around at the same time, it's not that bad. If I were using the original Alice in Wonderland I'd totally be having them play croquet in the classroom!  :laugh:

So in my experience, it depends on the grades, not the class sizes.
♫ Je ne veux pas travailler . . . ♪