September 22, 2014, 09:08:18 AM

Author Topic: 29-year old Korean Teacher not Prosecuted for Relationship with 12-year old  (Read 16725 times)

Offline bts21

• Adventurer
Re: 29-year old Korean Teacher not Prosecuted for Relationship with 12-year old
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2012, 10:50:49 AM »
Frozencat, I think that this situation is a lot simpler and more straightforward than you'd like it to be. Firstly, making these pedo vs. hebe vs. ephebophile distinctions is a bit silly. No, it doesn't help anyone see these cases more clearly. These terms are only useful if you're making an academic study. "Average female girl"? Aside from being a strange and redundant turn of phrase, this is also deliberately misleading. You are attempting to shift blame from the adult in this case to the child - not just the child, but the child's entire gender. You seem to argue that the treatment of the offender should be based on onset of puberty and the child's physical appearance. The onset of puberty can happen anywhere in a huge range of ages, which is getting earlier and earlier these days (thanks to hormones in foods, some would argue). Does hitting puberty in the third grade render an eight-year-old a "woman"? Is a 16-year-old who hasn't hit puberty yet still "just a child"? The physical appearance of the child is meaningless in this case. Would your argument be different if the child in question was an "average male boy"? Being underdeveloped doesn't make the crime more monstrous, and early development doesn't make the crime more acceptable. Like it or not, a child of that age is never ever going to have a fully developed brain or the same amount of worldly experience as an adult. Prefrontal cortices are important, believe it or not. Twelve-year-olds don't have fully developed ones (and neither do teenagers). That's not even getting into the power dynamics of child-adult relationships. Simply dismissing everyone who advances an argument in opposition to yours as irrational, overly emotional or too morally outraged sidesteps the real problem.

Mental illness should not be a get-out-of-jail-free card (and it's interesting that you play the "he's crazy" card alongside an argument that the child is in full control of her mental faculties and should be treated in the same way as any sane adult). If a mentally ill person commits theft, assault, or any other crime, that person should be punished for the crime AND receive treatment. It's not an either/or proposition.

Additionally (and I'm nitpicking here, but this bugs me) mens rea isn't the same thing as intent. Saying "we're looking for mens rea, aka intent" is like saying "that's a cow, aka a Holstein". Intent is one part of mens rea, or one type of mens rea, depending on what country's law we're looking at. It's clear that you have strong feeling about this issue, but if your argument is to stand, it should stand on its own; you don't need to prop it up by tossing in a bunch of academic-sounding business to make it sound better.

Your argument isn't without merit, but its relation to this particular case is tenuous.

EDIT: Typed "Holburn" instead of "Holstein" - clearly I've been out of Idaho for too long to be making references to cattle.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 11:00:36 AM by bts21 »

Offline Epistemology

• Expert Waygook
  • Philosopher extraordinaire
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2012, 10:50:50 AM »
There are no words that can express my dismay that there are apologists for this among teachers of all people.

Well, to be honest, I do sort of agree-- prison doesn't really help anyone and since you can't kill them it would probably be better to try to figure out how to properly 'fix' themů and the hysteria is definitely getting out of hand.-- children definitely aren't angels and I wouldn't put it past them to start exploiting the hysteria to their advantage. 

But I realllly don't think that 12 year olds have much of a concept of sex or what it means or how to be in relationships. They're not going to be making responsible decisions about their sex lives. You can't really stop 12 year olds from exploring but as adults it's our responsibility to let them know that their actions have repercussions and that it's not always the way it might seem to them.

I'm not talking about the moral arguments. This man broke the cardinal rule of teaching. Don't get intimate with your students.  That is reason enough why no teacher on this planet should defend this sack of trash.

It is my opinion that this man should be castrated for his crime, that's a fair punishment I think for having sex with a minor, but that's neither here nor there, as its just my subjective opinion. however, this man broke the golden rule of teaching. He put a stain of suspicion on all male teachers with his actions. He deserves all the hate and moral condemnation he gets for that.
The more you know.

Offline aschil6

• Veteran
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2012, 11:20:42 AM »
I'm just thinking of my twelve year old self, and if it had been me maybe I would have thrown a fit and tried to protect the man at the time, but thinking about it as an adult, I would really hope someone would have stepped in and prosecuted him regardless of my wishes. Leaving these types of things up to children is actually a pretty scary thought.

I really think that in a matter of a few years, this girl will wish she hadn't stuck up for him. If not a matter of a few years, I think she'll certainly feel this way when she has a twelve year old daughter of her own.

Offline confusedsafferinkorea

• The Legend
  • The only thing that is constant in life, is change
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2012, 01:20:54 PM »
Amidst all the apologies and rationalising about this guy, you forget he is not going to get any kind of censure, let alone treatment for his problem. They should both be held accountable.

If you think he will never teach again, you are naive, someone will hire him sometime down the line.
Everything is not as it seems.

No one owes you anything.... get over it.

NEVER think a failure is the end of the world, it is the beginning of a new opportunity.

The earth is flat....... I think, ha ha ha !!

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

hilarity ensues

« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2012, 01:44:12 PM »
I'm not talking about the moral arguments. This man broke the cardinal rule of teaching. Don't get intimate with your students.  That is reason enough why no teacher on this planet should defend this sack of trash.

That's the cardinal rule? What if your students are adults? I think that moral arguments hold up a lot better in this case.

He put a stain of suspicion on all male teachers with his actions. He deserves all the hate and moral condemnation he gets for that.

No he didn't... this is something that he did to himself, the girl, and his students. It has nothing to do with anyone else, the same way that the nameless one (starts with a C) didn't have anything to do with me. If it were a foreigner I think we would be seeing a LOT more of an uproar, but of course everyone already knows that.

Offline JL5205

• Super Waygook
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2012, 02:10:13 PM »
I'm not going to apologize for being educated and having a volunteering background with warrant expiry sex offenders instead of listening to the Helen Lovejoy school of over-reacting.

I'm also not going to speak for the victim, other that for what she's sad, because the criminal justice system and emotionally-misguided people do that enough.

Pedophilia is only correct in the loosest, incorrect sense that Western adults have become accustomed to thanks to Law and Order: SVU and CSI. If she is an average female girl, the man would be acting on hebephilic desires.

Rape of a minor is in the Korean criminal code and an amendment last year changed it to be applicable whether or not the victim launches the sexual assault complaint. The voice of the victim is, however, not silenced as it is back home.

This sounds like the kind of bs NAMBLA would spew out in cases like this.  Why hasn't someone muted this guy yet for trying to rile everyone up?
OP,
So I thought I would be helpful so I put your symptoms into webmd, aaaaaaannnd.... well the outlook isnt so good.  I hate to be the one to tell you, but it said you have butt cancer.  Sorry.

Offline chuck2657

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2012, 02:25:20 PM »
Whether or not it is the cardinal rule of teaching, teachers are put in a position of power and authority over students.  The 29-year old man in this case abused that relationship in a blatant and serious way.  It would be morally indefensible for anyone to do this.  Yet, for a teacher to do it, it would be highly unprofessional as well.

Again, it might not be the cardinal rule for all circumstances, but his act breaches the trust between teachers and students.  It is unprofessional and especially repugnant for those reasons.  I think we all (well, besides frozen cat) can agree on that much.

Offline Frozencat99

• The Legend
  • #MoonPrincess
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2012, 02:43:38 PM »
I'm not going to apologize for being educated and having a volunteering background with warrant expiry sex offenders instead of listening to the Helen Lovejoy school of over-reacting.

I'm also not going to speak for the victim, other that for what she's sad, because the criminal justice system and emotionally-misguided people do that enough.

Pedophilia is only correct in the loosest, incorrect sense that Western adults have become accustomed to thanks to Law and Order: SVU and CSI. If she is an average female girl, the man would be acting on hebephilic desires.

Rape of a minor is in the Korean criminal code and an amendment last year changed it to be applicable whether or not the victim launches the sexual assault complaint. The voice of the victim is, however, not silenced as it is back home.

This sounds like the kind of bs NAMBLA would spew out in cases like this.  Why hasn't someone muted this guy yet for trying to rile everyone up?

Because disagreeing with people isn't against the TOS. Nothing in that statement is bs (nice censor bypass, by the way).  :-*

Whether or not it is the cardinal rule of teaching, teachers are put in a position of power and authority over students.  The 29-year old man in this case abused that relationship in a blatant and serious way.  It would be morally indefensible for anyone to do this.  Yet, for a teacher to do it, it would be highly unprofessional as well.

Again, it might not be the cardinal rule for all circumstances, but his act breaches the trust between teachers and students.  It is unprofessional and especially repugnant for those reasons.  I think we all (well, besides frozen cat) can agree on that much.

I didn't disagree that it is unprofessional nor do did I disagree that its a breach of the teacher-student power relationship. Thanks for that.
Beware the Homosexual Industrial Complex -- http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-june-17-2013/left-behind

You can leave your heterophobia behind.

Offline Sandies

• Veteran
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2012, 03:32:52 PM »
Having worked in the Canadian justice system as a victim service worker for 4 years, I have to agree on the point of giving the victim a voice. That being said, some relationship dynamics does not allow the victim a TRUE voice. For example the relation of a teacher and student, husband and wife, employee and employer. Where one (normally the offender) holds power over the other (normally the victim). Let's say the case of an employee and employer. An employer can simply threaten to fire the employee for him/her not to file charges. So while I agree victims should have some sort of voice in the CJS, there should be some limit to that. For example the Canadian justice system provides victim with the opportunity to explain the incident via a victim impact statement, in that they can say whatever they want. The judge and/or jury will take that into consideration when sentencing. It could influence decisions such as the accused getting jail time vs counselling. I have seen far too many wife beaters get away with horrid things because their wives are too scared to go to court or even face them. I think this is a slippery slope to what could be more covered up crimes because the victims want to save face (especially in terms of sexual assault). And with this case in particular, the girl could not want to press charges either because her parents doesn't want that hanging over their heads (yes you heard right, theirs not hers), or the teacher forced her not to (relationship dynamics), there are just too many issues other than she loves him. And to be honest, what does a 12 year old know about love or sex for that matter (especially knowing the sex ed they get in this country)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 03:21:46 PM by Sandies »
"You may strategically place your wonderful lips upon my posterior and kiss it repeatedly! "

Offline Frozencat99

• The Legend
  • #MoonPrincess
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2012, 06:28:41 PM »
I think those are valid concerns when they apply to cases, though this girl fired at her parents (rather than the other way around) that she threatened suicide if they pushed the criminal charges (based on what people ITT said, at least).

Additionally, I think that while Koreans rightfully get a lot of flack for their main priority being "saving face", recent amendments to the law under which sexual assault provisions are codified suggest that they are well-aware of the implications for getting away with such crimes. This girl could scream all she wanted that she didn't want charges pressed but the decision is honestly up to anyone directly or indirectly involved.

I'd also suggest that threats of him harming her or her grades would be invalidated by him inevitably losing his job and direct hold over her. Whether or not she perceives and realizes this is equally important but the breach of teacher-student relationship stops as soon as he is no longer her teacher.

I'm glad I'm not alone re: victim voices, though. Victim impact statements are invaluable since they also minimize revictimization.
Beware the Homosexual Industrial Complex -- http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-june-17-2013/left-behind

You can leave your heterophobia behind.

Offline TheWB18

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2012, 12:12:01 PM »
Frozencat, this is the third thread I've read so far where you actually argue pro-pedophile. The worst one was a few months ago when you propose that one day we'll accept pedophiles the same way that we now accept peasants, women, homosexuals, atheists and the poor (who were also at one time vilified).

Well, honestly, it's not like there's no precedent. Pedophilia, which consists of an exclusive interest in young children (as in, you have erotic interests only in children) is seen as rather abnormal and as far as I know has never been widely accepted anywhere, but...

Pederasty, where older men have relationships with younger boys which are erotic but may or may not be sexual, has been practiced (and accepted) in just about every society until the modern era, and in some well into the modern era. Really it was just the spread of Christianity in Europe, and its strictures against men having sex with men, that put an end to what was an accepted practice across pagan Europe, the Middle East, and Africa.

Now it doesn't really fit into our legal system, because we declare 16-18 to be the age of consent in the west, usually, but we should consider that this is as much a product of middle class desires to prevent poor children being forced to work in the Victorian era as anything else. Were you to pitch up in Italy circa 1800 I doubt you'd find many people willing to tell your 12 or 13 year olds were incapable of making decisions, since many of them would be working and perhaps on the brink of starting a family.

Just saying, I don't agree with frozencat, but he certainly has a point.

Offline Sandies

• Veteran
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2012, 12:33:42 PM »
I think those are valid concerns when they apply to cases, though this girl fired at her parents (rather than the other way around) that she threatened suicide if they pushed the criminal charges (based on what people ITT said, at least).

Additionally, I think that while Koreans rightfully get a lot of flack for their main priority being "saving face", recent amendments to the law under which sexual assault provisions are codified suggest that they are well-aware of the implications for getting away with such crimes. This girl could scream all she wanted that she didn't want charges pressed but the decision is honestly up to anyone directly or indirectly involved.

I'd also suggest that threats of him harming her or her grades would be invalidated by him inevitably losing his job and direct hold over her. Whether or not she perceives and realizes this is equally important but the breach of teacher-student relationship stops as soon as he is no longer her teacher.

I'm glad I'm not alone re: victim voices, though. Victim impact statements are invaluable since they also minimize revictimization.

I believe I read a reply saying that the Korean news paper reported the teacher was not fired. And I can further argue that the relationship dynamic is not as simple as whether or not this person is still the girl's teacher (whether or not he was fired). When I see my highschool teachers, I still view them as my teachers. That relationship dynamic didn't change simply because I am no longer their student. And psychologically a lot of people feel this way. It's not the influence on grades or the threat of punishment. Not particular to this case, it could be the fact that a teacher's words would be believed far more than a 12 year old's words. There is just more to a relationship dynamic rather than the existence of the relationship itself. I personally worked with many women who have divorced their husbands, but their ex-husbands still have a strong hold over their emotions and everyday life (ie. being fearful of bumping into him when out shopping for groceries, etc).
"You may strategically place your wonderful lips upon my posterior and kiss it repeatedly! "

Offline Harry1942

• Adventurer
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2012, 02:44:21 PM »
This is a very strange and disturbing thread. As a teacher, areas that I presumed were black and white seem to be much more gray to some people. Combine this thread with the taking your students to dinner thread, and it appears that some NETs have a questionable set of ethics when it comes to teaching.

Offline VizionMC

• Veteran
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2012, 03:13:19 PM »
This is a very strange and disturbing thread. As a teacher, areas that I presumed were black and white seem to be much more gray to some people. Combine this thread with the taking your students to dinner thread, and it appears that some NETs have a questionable set of ethics when it comes to teaching.

amen Harry1942!  wtf...??

Offline sirenhill

• Veteran
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2012, 03:24:02 PM »
Yeah I agree with Harry I am highly disturbed  by some of the comments by posters here especially Frozencat.Even if you spent the last 20 years of your life living in a cave you would still have to agree that this type of relationship is wrong in every sense of the word and there is no way that this should be defended.
She is emotionally,physically and mentally unprepared for this kind of thing and to let this guy off the hook is a very bad example for all .
He should get jail time and never be allowed teach again.
We have moral obligations not only as Teachers but as Adults to act in a responsible ,mature and ethical fashion .There are no excuses and should be no get out of jail cards be you mad,Korean,Japanese ,Irish or American or any race.

Offline phoebe100

• Veteran
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2012, 04:26:52 PM »
Frozencat, this is the third thread I've read so far where you actually argue pro-pedophile. The worst one was a few months ago when you propose that one day we'll accept pedophiles the same way that we now accept peasants, women, homosexuals, atheists and the poor (who were also at one time vilified).

Well, honestly, it's not like there's no precedent. Pedophilia, which consists of an exclusive interest in young children (as in, you have erotic interests only in children) is seen as rather abnormal and as far as I know has never been widely accepted anywhere, but...

Pederasty, where older men have relationships with younger boys which are erotic but may or may not be sexual, has been practiced (and accepted) in just about every society until the modern era, and in some well into the modern era. Really it was just the spread of Christianity in Europe, and its strictures against men having sex with men, that put an end to what was an accepted practice across pagan Europe, the Middle East, and Africa.

Now it doesn't really fit into our legal system, because we declare 16-18 to be the age of consent in the west, usually, but we should consider that this is as much a product of middle class desires to prevent poor children being forced to work in the Victorian era as anything else. Were you to pitch up in Italy circa 1800 I doubt you'd find many people willing to tell your 12 or 13 year olds were incapable of making decisions, since many of them would be working and perhaps on the brink of starting a family.

Eh?! So what? We're not living in Italy circa 1800 are we?! How irrelevant. Our surroundings and the society we live in (like it or not) shape us and our maturity level. Yes, in days gone by people worked and started families at an earlier age but that is not the time we live in now, when children are still very much immature and mollycoddled.

This thread is getting more and more off the wall....
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 04:36:47 PM by phoebe100 »

Offline TheWB18

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2012, 04:44:48 PM »

Eh?! So what? We're not living in Italy circa 1800 are we?! How irrelevant. Our surroundings and the society we live in (like it or not) shape us and our maturity level. Yes, in days gone by people worked and started families at an earlier age but that is not the time we live in now, when children are still very much immature and mollycoddled.

This thread is getting more and more off the wall....

:blank:

Yeah, history is irrelevant. Because our maturity level increases. Not so much. I'm glad you see history as a neat continuum progressing towards some new ideal state, but the imperative to learn from history doesn't just mean improve on it/avoid repeating it - it means actually understanding the social causes behind things and drawing comparisons with the present.

By the way, being so dismissive of other people's points while at the same time providing nothing but trite cliches in response makes you seem...what's the word...simple?

Offline kyndo

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2012, 05:17:41 PM »
+1 for "mollycoddled".    :cheesy:

What disturbs me most about this article are the differences in experience/knowledge/power dynamics that obviously exist between a 12 year old and a 29 year old.
Not prosecuting the offender because the victim requested that he not be punished might seem like a very sensitive thing to do (  :rolleyes: ), but it completely ignoring the fact that a 12 year old child is incredibly easy to manipulate. Of course she doesn't want him punished -- they're in love! But getting a 12 year old to love you isn't exactly a huge achievement -- for example: with a handful of candies, some cheesy jokes, and the occasional smileandwave I can get 1000+ 12 year-old students to do most anything I tell them to on a daily basis (diabolical plans for world domination coming along nicely, thanks).

This would be one of the reasons that we don't let children vote, or make decisions that will affect them and others for the rest of their lives... because the majority of them do not yet have the capacity to fully evaluate and comprehend the consequences of their actions (as the frontal cortex, which is involved in said processes, does not become fully developed until the late teens).

Also, wrt the teacher: even assuming that he did not in any way exploit the massive inequality between their respective levels of maturity, experience, and power, he behaved in a very unprofessional way and I feel he should be barred from teaching solely for that, if nothing else. Forming an intimate relationship with one students almost inevitably means dealing with favouritism, exeptionalism etc etc which can be very unfair to other students.

My 2 bits. Done playing Captian obvious for now!  :-[  Somebody give me a cookie.

Offline chuck2657

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2012, 05:26:39 PM »
I'll try to re-word phoebe100's post.

Issues of what is sexually accepted vary considerably throughout culture and time.  As does the question of age of consent and "adulthood".  Actually, one could argue that adulthood itself is a Western cultural belief.

We may never know whether he actually was a pedophile or not; the simple act of being sexually attracted to a 12 or 13 year old does not mean you're a pedophile.  If he *was* mentally troubled/ill/etc. then his imprisonment should also focus on mental rehabilitation or learning to cope with his special condition in a way that allows him to peacefully co-exist with society (and yes, the condemnation of the mental state is something specific to our culture).  In related cases, the rights of the victim should also be taken into consideration.   Although with sexual crimes the victim may be in a position of power over the accuser.  After all, how many rapes go unreported?  Still, in some cases the rights of the accuser should also be taken into account. 

Yet, the act of a 29 year-old teacher who abuses his power relationship as an adult and a teacher over a 12-year old girl is indefensible.  It is wrong because he is taking advantage of his position of power over her, and committing a sin many on this forum would think of as unthinkable.  Just because it would be accepted during another time or in another place does not justify it.  There are many abhorrent things which used to be considered socially acceptable.  We choose to mark a relationship between a 29 year-old man and a 12 year-old girl as inappropriate for valid cultural reasons.  Furthermore, the relationship was especially inappropriate because it grossly violated the special teacher/student bond which normally exists between a 29-year old male teacher and a 12-year old girl.

The facts that the man probably wasn't a pedophile and that it is something deemed inappropriate by our specific time and culture (which would be acceptable elsewhere) does not justify it.  It is still a vile and indefensible act.  As a result, he should be punished and not allowed to teach children/teens.

Offline TheWB18

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2012, 05:39:56 PM »
I'll try to re-word phoebe100's post.

Issues of what is sexually accepted vary considerably throughout culture and time.  As does the question of age of consent and "adulthood".  Actually, one could argue that adulthood itself is a Western cultural belief.

We may never know whether he actually was a pedophile or not; the simple act of being sexually attracted to a 12 or 13 year old does not mean you're a pedophile.  If he *was* mentally troubled/ill/etc. then his imprisonment should also focus on mental rehabilitation or learning to cope with his special condition in a way that allows him to peacefully co-exist with society (and yes, the condemnation of the mental state is something specific to our culture).  In related cases, the rights of the victim should also be taken into consideration.   Although with sexual crimes the victim may be in a position of power over the accuser.  After all, how many rapes go unreported?  Still, in some cases the rights of the accuser should also be taken into account. 

Yet, the act of a 29 year-old teacher who abuses his power relationship as an adult and a teacher over a 12-year old girl is indefensible.  It is wrong because he is taking advantage of his position of power over her, and committing a sin many on this forum would think of as unthinkable.  Just because it would be accepted during another time or in another place does not justify it.  There are many abhorrent things which used to be considered socially acceptable.  We choose to mark a relationship between a 29 year-old man and a 12 year-old girl as inappropriate for valid cultural reasons.  Furthermore, the relationship was especially inappropriate because it grossly violated the special teacher/student bond which normally exists between a 29-year old male teacher and a 12-year old girl.

The facts that the man probably wasn't a pedophile and that it is something deemed inappropriate by our specific time and culture (which would be acceptable elsewhere) does not justify it.  It is still a vile and indefensible act.  As a result, he should be punished and not allowed to teach children/teens.

OK, cool, reason, This I can respond to.

My point was not that he should face no consequences, or even that the victim's wishes should be respected. Actually my first post in this thread was that this is a terrible idea, not just in this case, but in all "sexual" and "domestic" crimes where love/power imbalances/etc. make for emotional and difficult decisions on the part of the victims.

My point here was that all of the outrage directed against frozencat is stupid. In the West, circa 2012, it may seem patently obvious that pedophilia is "terrible", but this doesn't make it some inviolable moral truth. It is not unreasonable, then, to push against it and question it, though a good 1/3 of responses on this thread have been self-indulgent outrage at the very idea that someone would think an adult having a sexual relationship with a 12 year old is anything short of disgusting, revolting, and perverted.

My point was, it isn't necessarily any of those things, and we can see this because as recently as a couple centuries ago in the West, and as recently as right now in other parts of the world, this isn't seen as a horrific crime. Ergo we shouldn't be outraged that someone would question it.

That's all. Nothing serious.

Recent Lesson Plans

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment