November 18, 2017, 08:10:29 PM

Author Topic: Camp Cooking - Recipes and Teaching Materials  (Read 110746 times)

Offline SunflowersMuse

• Explorer
Camp Cooking - Recipes and Teaching Materials
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2011, 03:00:18 PM »
I made this activity for a children's English Camp.  Enjoy   :P

Offline miriah.lawrence

• Veteran
ice cream in a bag, middle school or elmentary level
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2011, 09:32:36 AM »
so this is what i have put together for this lesson.  i have a higher level worksheet, which can be used for low level middle school, and a lower level worksheet.  I attached my lesson plan if anyone is interested, but basically you can just follow the PPT, no lesson plan needed.

the kids always enjoy this lesson, they have a lot of fun!

Offline vero55

• Adventurer
Re: ice cream in a bag, middle school or elmentary level
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2011, 10:58:23 AM »
awesome idea! thanks for sharing! I'm totally doing this in summer camp.

Offline lbdb3l

• Adventurer
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2011, 08:40:09 AM »
For the vanilla, did you use vanilla extract?
For salt, was it regular table salt or rock salt?

Thanks for posting! It'll definitely be helpful for summer camp!

Offline Karen26

• Waygookin
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2011, 12:58:06 PM »
Hi! Thank you for this I am having a cooking day during Summer camp and wasn't sure what to make! I am so using this idea!!!

Offline misskris

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2011, 03:18:11 PM »
I did this during winter camp and it was a HIT!

As for vanilla extract... you can get powdered stuff at Emart or wherever ( I didnt even know powder was available!)

I recommend just using flavoured milk.  We tried wiht vanilla extract and also made batches using strawberry, chocolate, and banana milk.  NO vanilla.  It worked AWESOME and the kids liked the different flavours :)

also as a fun intro to the class, find the music video for "Ice Cream" by Kim Tae Hee on youtube ;)

Offline adlez

• Veteran
Camp Cooking - Recipes and Teaching Materials
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2011, 11:49:34 PM »
I have to do a cooking class with elementary school kiddies as part of summercamp...any ideas?

Offline SupaTeacha

• Veteran
Re: Cooking class
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2011, 07:02:05 AM »
cookies. its eaaaaaaaaaaaasy. cookie mix. oil. egg. flour. basically you pre-mix the dough, give them a little ball of dough to play with, some cookie cutters, and chocolate chips to decorate.

Offline Periwinkle

• Veteran
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2011, 08:18:00 PM »
Tuna salad/ham & cheese sandwiches, S'mores, Ice cream sundaes, Fruit flowers,  there are many to choose from!  Here's a site for Kid's recipes I used for camp: http://pbskids.org/zoom/activities/cafe/ 

Offline candycane

• Waygookin
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2011, 12:44:09 AM »
Not sure if you have a microwave but this always goes down well!

5 Minute Microwave Chocolate Cake

Ingredients:

4 Tablespoons cake flour
4 Tablespoons sugar
2 Tablespoons cocoa
1 Egg
3 Tablespoons milk
3 Tablespoons oil
1 Tablespoon chocolate chips (optional)   
1 Mug

Odds and ends to decorate (optional)

Instructions:

Mix flour, sugar and cocoa in a coffee mug
Add 1 egg and blend thoroughly
Add milk and oil, mix well
Add chocolate chips (optional)
Place the mug on a plate and microwave for 3 minutes on maximum power
As it cooks the cake will rise over the top of the mug please do not be alarmed (The kids will love to watch it rise)
Take the cake out the microwave, be careful as the mug will be quite hot
Once it has cooled run a knife around the mug to loosen and tip it out onto a plate
Decorate if desired, eat and enjoy   :P

Offline runthegauntlet

• Veteran
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2011, 06:28:09 PM »
cookies. its eaaaaaaaaaaaasy. cookie mix. oil. egg. flour. basically you pre-mix the dough, give them a little ball of dough to play with, some cookie cutters, and chocolate chips to decorate.

Where do you bake the cookies?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 06:29:41 PM by runthegauntlet »

Offline southernman

• Veteran
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2011, 06:56:43 PM »
I had one last summer camp and I just got the students to make a salad,  they actually got into it and enjoyed themselves.  Just make up a list of the ingredients and utensils they'll need and they sort out (amongst their group )who brings what on the given day.  I forked out for the salad dressing and some pizzas and coke  to go with it.

Making sandwiches is also a good idea.  The kitchen will be closed and probably locked up.  So you don't really have a huge amount of options.  Just keep it simple.  I teach Elementary kids so the hardest thing was making sure I had enough time (or should I say they had enough time)  to clean up afterwards. 

I did it on the last day and we finished off with a party,  everyone including the VP who called by, enjoyed it.

Offline sassneggs

• Adventurer
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2011, 08:08:02 AM »
I love doing Icy Icecream with the kids.  I have done it with students in Elementary and even in High School.  Both were super successful.  HOWEVER, please note, this is best done OUTSIDE...as it can get a bit messy.

- 2 T sugar
 - 1 small carton of flavored milk (chocolate, strawberry)
 - 1 1/2 cups of Kimchee salt.  (the big kind)
 - 2 cups of ice
 - 1 large zipper bag
 - 1 small zipper bag

- 1 spoon for each participant
measuring cusps and spoons.

In large bag put ice and salt.
In small bag put milk and sugar. Zipper or close bag tightly.
Put small bag into large bag.  Zipper tightly.

Shake for 4 to 5 minutes vigorously.  Or until the ice and salt start to freeze the milk.  The ice cream will be very soft.

Enjoy!

Offline misskris

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2011, 08:24:01 AM »
I was also going to suggest the ice cream. its so fun!  the kids love it!

Offline hjh

• Adventurer
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2011, 12:35:47 PM »
Last summer camp I made sandwiches, patbingsu (our school deemed it a worthy purchase to get the ice shaver....!) and we made the kids use the target sentences "Can I have some _______?" each time they wanted to add something to it, sort of 'Subway' style. The patbingsu was pretty easy, Home Plus sells huge packets that have everything but the ice in them.

For our winter camp we made chocolates. We just bought the large chocolate blocks from Home Plus, then melted them, poured small amounts into plastic/vinyl bags and cut a hole. The kids filled up molds we also purchased from Home Plus. They could decorate with sprinkles or nuts.

And my personal favorite was s'mores from last year's summer camp. It wasn't part of our cooking day, but my 'Camping' lesson. HUGE HIT. I suggested we buy the Digest cookies, but somehow we ended up with saltines, and they weren't that bad! Anyway, we used this video for the s'mores.

Offline lindznicolew

• Explorer
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2011, 01:05:16 PM »
How much does it cost to get all of these supplies?
Lindsey

Offline jakebrogren

• Newgookin
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2011, 08:20:53 AM »
How much do the supplies cost?

Offline Ltc1026

• Explorer
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2011, 09:53:32 AM »
Did the school buy the supplies or did you buy the supplies with your own money?

Offline Rivalsan

• Waygookin
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2011, 02:01:59 PM »
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for posting this :D

I wanted to make something with my elementary kids that was fun, fast, and cool. This is perfect. Thanks again!

Offline minnekev

• Waygookin
Design a pizza camp/project - middle school
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2011, 10:04:16 AM »
Hi all,

Here is a project we did in class, which can easily be modified as a camp. The students design their own pizza recipe, (ingredients, how to make it, etc.) They then make the ingredients out of paper, and we film their "cooking show" telling us how to make it! It was heaps of fun, maybe you can do something like this for a camp.

My family made a cooking video for the students (my dads pasta- delicious! You can easily modify this by making a video yourself), and the students listed and translated the pasta's ingredients, and then the "cooking verbs". They then filled in the missing words from the script of the video. Have attached some worksheets, and practice cards for the students to practice the words with.

Next, I showed them a PPT of pizza/pasta ingredients (they could choose pizza or pasta, but all of them chose pizza!). I've attached this PPT, but I started modifying it after the project so it is missing a few pictures. I got the original PPT from a fellow waygookin off this website, thanks heaps!

Then, the students started designing their own recipe. Have attached the worksheet for this too (template and final recipes). They chose their sauce/toppings/design, then wrote up the method for how to make it. I coached them through this part by writing things on the board/giving ideas, such as "When should you heat the oven?" "Does your meat/vegetables need cooking first?" "What needs cutting?" "When do you put on the cheese?"

Then, the students made their ingredients out of paper. I used tissue paper for the pizza sauce, and some students cut up yellow tissue paper into little pieces for the cheese. This was really fun, and so cute to see kids cut out little mushrooms and slices of pepperoni! Some kids really went above and beyond too...
Last, they practied their cooking-video roleplay before we filmed on the final day. I brought in an oven (which is actually the schools oven), a fry pan, cutting board, and plastic knife. We then filmed the videos on the last day.

I sent their videos to my family who will make their recipes and make a reply video, choosing the best recipe. I'll show this video to the kids and give the winning team a prize, and I'm gonna make my dad's pasta for them and we'll eat it together in class. Hope this is helpful, was a really fun project! Please modify/change/steal whatever you want!

Here are their final videos:

1-2 Class

1-1 Class