November 22, 2017, 08:56:24 PM

Author Topic: Science Camp  (Read 56000 times)

Offline BBetz1985

• Veteran
Re: Winter Camp: Art and Science
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2011, 02:53:58 PM »
Here are the lessons part 2~^

Offline Perals

• Waygookin
Re: Winter Camp: Art and Science
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2011, 11:43:13 AM »
 ;D  ;D  ;D

This is FANTASTIC dude.
Thanks for posting!!!!!

AWESOME work!!!!!

Cheers,
Perals

Offline scottdk

• Veteran
Project Based Winter Camp: Bridge, Egg Drop, Catapult
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2011, 11:03:36 AM »
Ok, typed out a bit of an explanation and then couldn't upload the .xlsx
My message was deleted so if there are any questions PM.  This is only an outline of what I have planned.

I finished my prototype Catapult.  Here is a picture.  I used chopsticks, tape, a marker, small piece of paper and rubber band.  (The clips aren't necessary but since I taped the ends of where I was supposed to place the rubber bands too much I had to use them)

It shoots at least 8ft.  Since I shot it at a wall instead of across the office I'm not sure of it's full potential.  The base and height are about the size of a post it.  This is just an example, students will create a larger scale one.

The word doc with directions to the catapult is not for the students.  This one is for you guys.  I will be drawing my directions out and then giving them copies.  I do not have access to a scanner so I made this one to explain for you.  In the picture I used scotch tape, but with the students we will be using rubber bands.  Hopefully you can see the colors in the picture well, they indicate which step, and where each one should be (top or bottom).  I'll upload more as I create.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 08:30:08 AM by scottdk »

Offline syd wegoda

• Veteran
Volcano/ science lesson
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2011, 12:43:26 PM »
Here is a power point  and a quiz about volcanoes aimed at 4th- 6th grade elementary students.
After the quiz I will get them to make their own volcanoes with paper mache and make their own volcanic eruption by mixing vinegar, washing up liquid and baking powder based roughly on this:

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/crafts/nature/volcano/

This good for anyone doing a science based winter camp and should be fun for the students.

ps: for  the ppt I will get a Korean friend or co-teacher to give me a written translation of the first part of the ppt as my students' English is quite low.

Offline scottdk

• Veteran
Re: Volcano/ science lesson
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2011, 12:57:47 PM »
Great project!  I did this during my Summer Camp with Middle school.  They loved it.  Since it's winter it might take a while to dry.  We left ours out all day in the sun and some were still a big soggy.

Offline syd wegoda

• Veteran
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2011, 01:03:22 PM »
I should add that this would probably be a two day thing as you need to wait a day for the paper mache volcano to dry before the students could paint it. It would have to be water proof as well for the volcanic eruption experiment( I'm going to get them to cover the volcanoes in pva glue to make them water proof)... but you could include the lessons in a science/ countries/ nature or craft based camp.

Offline syd wegoda

• Veteran
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2011, 01:58:14 PM »
Ok thanks Scottdk! I will bear that in mind. Maybe have a two day gap between each lesson then!

Offline believeinblue

• Adventurer
Re: Project Based Winter Camp: Bridge, Egg Drop, Catapult
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2011, 08:20:32 PM »
This is an awesome idea! My middle school kids should love this. Can you provide some links for videos and instructions?

Offline K

• Super Waygook
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2011, 10:31:34 AM »
I did this with a different design. The accuracy is amazing! You can easily alter it, too.
Ah, I can't find a pic online, but I will draw one and upload it.

Also, I strongly suggest you use binder clips if you do this activity. It works as a hinge very well!

Offline ac3824a

• Adventurer
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2011, 11:54:28 AM »
Has anyone done a balsa wood bridge project?  Where can I find balsa wood in Korea?
I was thinking about using wooden chopsticks, but I'm worried that they would make the bridges too strong and impossible to break.

Offline Limkyuhee

• Newgookin
Winter English camp~
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2011, 02:00:28 PM »
Hi~ guys

My school finished all of big events, but I am preparing  winter English camp things~^^
I hope these stuff could be useful for your camp~

Offline kiekie87

• Veteran
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2011, 03:28:44 PM »
in my middle school technology class we used toothpics to make bridges. maybe that will work...just an idea ^^
All ideas grow out of other ideas.
Anish Kapoor

Offline K

• Super Waygook
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2011, 09:28:21 AM »
Toothpicks are good! You could also use straws, popsicle sticks, or newspaper. If you use those, I would also give them an additional challenge. Such as, whose bridge can make it from destination A to B AND hold the most pennies. I haven't seen balsa wood here, but if you check a big stationary store, like Papearl, they may have it. That store has a section for building models and what not. I'd also try Gmarket, too.

Ok, I just searched on Naver and had many blogs and whatnot come up in Korean. So, I asked my boyfriend if it was available in Korea and he said, "Oh, it has many." It's called 발사나무 or 뗏목. Hopefully, that helps a bit!

Offline megu

• Waygookin
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2011, 10:23:04 AM »
Scottdk, the catapult activity looks like a lot of fun!

I'd love to try this out with my students. How exactly do you attach the hinge for the throwing-arm?  When you say "students will create a larger scale one", what exactly do you mean? Will they use different materials or just full-size wooden chopsticks as a frame?

Would also love to see your ideas for the egg drop and bridge~

Offline MMadders

• Veteran
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2011, 04:45:25 PM »
Thanks man for that. Ive two days left to plan and I was at a loss as what to do. I did the egg drop one last year it worked out really well. Thanks again.

Offline K

• Super Waygook
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2011, 08:18:55 PM »
For the hinge you can use a binder clip! It works really well! You will find your students get very creative with what you give them, too. For example, some of mine skipped the binder clip completely and fabricated a hinge using straws and paperclips.

Offline scottdk

• Veteran
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2011, 11:45:06 PM »
So for the hinge, I will just use a rubber band.  I will make one and post another picture for and example.  Yes, for larger scale they will just use whole chopsticks. I broke them in half simply because that day I didn't have enough at my desk.  <-- same goes for why you see one marker as the throwing arm, just ran out of chopsticks.  A question was asked about what is at the end.  I just used a piece of paper to make a small cup to hold the ammo.  Students can choose to do this, but I will provide caps from pop bottles, vitamin C bottle, water bottles, ect as well.

Been a bit sick so haven't been able to make it out to the store, will post pictures for bridge and egg drop later this week.  Originally I wanted to use popsicle sticks for the bridge, but when I asked my co-teachers (and show picture) they didn't really know what they were.  Does anyone know if they are available?  I will look for alternatives to chopsticks when I go to the store. 

Offline kp

• Veteran
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2011, 10:02:04 AM »
given Korea's high humidity in the summer but generally dry air in the winter, you might actually find your volcanoes drying fast -- still, it's always good to plan safely. ^^

Offline cad123

• Veteran
« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2011, 03:28:45 PM »
http://www.instructables.com/id/Chopsticks-Catapult/

http://easypreschoolcraft.blogspot.com/2011/12/japanese-chopsticks-catapult-toy-craft.html

http://www.ehow.com/video_4950873_build-catapult.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=oANBYL0juMs

This might be helpful for some like me who couldn't see how the hinge worked in the photo, might be fun to give the kids  a basic Idea but then see what they come up with and make a competition out of it. Who ever can knock down a pile of cups or something wins. just an idea.

Offline syd wegoda

• Veteran
« Reply #59 on: December 26, 2011, 03:14:08 PM »
Volcano worksheet to add to the mix