November 18, 2017, 08:14:03 PM

Author Topic: Science Camp  (Read 55830 times)

Offline Inge1415

• Veteran
Re: Science Camp
« Reply #100 on: January 08, 2016, 01:23:00 PM »
making rock candy is a lot more work than I thought...definitely make sure you have multiple hot water pots going!  The skeleton i made into a competition and even wrote the names of different bones on post its...students had to guess what was what and my 3rd and 4th grade LOVED it.

I switched some lessons at my coteachers request so monday is weather and making plastic!

weather is just a breakdown of how rain, hail, and snow is made. pretty qupick and easy because the plastic...mmhmm....

to make plastic is just milk and vinegar. hardest part is heating the milk, but it's pretty simple after that! technically you are just separating out the casein in the milk (it's a dairy protein), but it dries as hard as rock!

Offline Inge1415

• Veteran
« Reply #101 on: January 11, 2016, 12:48:23 PM »
making plastic was fun for the kids but cleanup took a while!  they are excited to see their hard as rock plastic creations in a few days!

tomorrow is "arctic animals (blubber/how they stay warm)  and egg drop.

arctic animals: simple experiment!
kids put their hand in a bowl of ice water and see how long they can keep it in.  not long...it's cold!
            they fill up a plastic glove with petroleum jelly. (found in pharmacy's here). the put on a clean glove and insert their gloved hand INTO the vaseline filled glove. then they put it back in the water.  They will be able to hold it in for a very long time!
           To save money, each team will make one vaseline glove and share it. they have tiny hands so we just bought a bigger glove.  GREAT way to show how blubber works!

egg drop: I'm bringing recycling and putting out random craft supplies.  they have free range (but a time limit) to make their capsule.  then...we drop it. ^^ I used slides from a previous slide but corrected the spelling errors.

Offline Inge1415

• Veteran
« Reply #102 on: January 12, 2016, 03:41:24 PM »
today was fun, they loved the egg drop the most because what is more fun than eggs exploding? (and freezing....all over the front walkway of the school...oops)

Tomorrow is two parts: Human blood and borax icicles.

human blood: we go over the blood parts as I "make" blood in front of them (yellow water for plasma, marshmellows for white blood cells, cheerios with powered red food coloring  to make the water red (because it's the hemoglobin they carry that makes blood red, etc.)

I then have the students "show me" how much blood an adult human carries...i have a measuring cup that fills to 500ML, human body carries 5 L so 10 students fill it up once and you have the total amount in a human body. Science is more fun when you can really experience it!

borax: simple. for 1 c of hot hot water, you need about 3TBSP of Borax.  mix well, twirl up a pipe cleaner. put it in the jar or borax water and let it sit.  by friday they will have pretty crystals. (the site says I only need one day but 2 days means bigger crystals.)

make sure your students know that unlike the rock candy....they cannot eat this one. it's toxic to eat.

Offline Inge1415

• Veteran
« Reply #103 on: January 13, 2016, 01:30:39 PM »
so today was easy and they LOVED the blood part :)
yesss....in all it's grossness and glory haha.

tomorrow is strange animals and ziplock bag icecream.

strange animals is a cool ppt from http://mrsbaiasclassroom.blogspot.kr/ .
She is a ESL teacher here in Korea and the lesson is interesting and fun for the kids! plus I can go through it quickly because I have a feeling ice cream is going to be complicated with this crazy messy students  :laugh: ....

Ice cream in the ppt is short, but if you go to my silly science workbook (I would suggest downloading the PDF, not the ppt, to preserve fonts)  I have 2 pages that break it down for the kids.  NOTE:  the ppt recipe does not call for half and half so it is cheaper. I am making half and half by mixing heavy cream and milk...it'll make it more...well...creamy!

Time for yummy stuff!

Offline Inge1415

• Veteran
« Reply #104 on: January 15, 2016, 08:52:18 AM »
here is goldenball and the materials list! enjoy!

Offline aprilbomi

• Adventurer
« Reply #105 on: June 27, 2016, 09:49:58 AM »
Camp Duration: 2 days - 2 hours each day [lucky I know]

This year I tried my hand at a "science" themed camp. It's a lot of prep and a bit messy but worth it in the end (for the kids).

Attached is the list of materials needed for this camp along with PPTs and worksheets.
The two experiments I've included are:
1. Toys Frozen in Ice
2. Making Glitter Slime

Note for experiment 1: Obviously freeze the toys beforehand. Buy toys that will fit whatever ice mold you are able to find. My co-teacher could only find small ball ice molds so we had to buy very small toys.
We didn't have time to use both sugar and salt on the ice to compare how each effects the ice. So, we just used salt, toothpicks and some room temperature water.
After some time, if the kids are having too much trouble getting the toys out with the salt then you can go around with hot water to speed up the process so that you're able to move onto the next activity (i.e. the ice globes craft). That's what I ended up doing after maybe like 30ish minutes??
[also thanks to mrsbaisclassroom for the ice globe craft!]

Note for experiment 2: You must test this first! Because if you mess up the amount of glue and baking soda that goes into the bowl then it won't work. My co-teacher made the mistake of buying glitter glue instead of glue and glitter separately. We were still able to make it work but, I dunno... I feel like if they were separate we probably wouldn't have had as much trouble as we did. Also, here is the youtube video I referenced: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpZufPj19MQ She's a bit annoying. Sorry lol But because of her it was easy to find all the materials!

With the time left over, honestly, we just watched a "winter-themed" movie and drank hot chocolate and ate snacks.

Where I got the inspiration for the frozen ice toys:
http://lemonlimeadventures.com/lego-science-ice-excavation-experiment/
Happiness is a choice.

Offline pistons88

• Adventurer
« Reply #106 on: June 30, 2016, 03:52:44 PM »
Here are two experiments one involving eggs in glass and water balloons and fire.

Offline yfb

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #107 on: July 14, 2016, 10:33:33 AM »
If you're tired of hunting on Gmarket for overpriced supplies, check out swsciencemall.com -  it's a site that my Korean CT recommended and they have kits for common science experiments. I'm doing the spider magnet experiment with my kids this summer.

Offline SuperSaiyanSensei

• Adventurer
« Reply #108 on: March 06, 2017, 10:42:26 AM »
Health and Safety! What are peoples experiences with it for your camps?
I want to incorporate fire and explosions into my science camp but don't know if any of you have had experiences were the Co has taken issue with such activities.

To better define explosions and fire, I'm talking about methane bubbles, creating rockets, maybe even alkali metals and water.