November 18, 2017, 08:13:47 PM

Author Topic: Camp Theme - Holidays  (Read 29045 times)

Offline teacherjenni

• Super Waygook
Re: 8 (American) Holidays
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2011, 07:05:51 AM »
Thanks TeacherJenni you ROCK!

Do you have the vids for Easter and Valentine's :)

I haven't found anything I like for Easter, but I may show this for valentines:

Offline hildydoo

• Veteran
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2011, 10:38:52 AM »
Teacherjenni, you're awesome, let me just say that right now!

I'll be using this for my first week of winter camp, though I've dropped the 8 holidays down to 5 (since I only have 5 classes for the first week), and I'll be editing your ppts to suit my VERY low level students! But otherwise, you've saved me a lot of time!!

As for a Valentine's Day video, I've found this one, which I thought was very sweet (and minimal kissing, which my kids always freak out about! haha)!

Offline Islander

• Adventurer
Re: We Are The World: Holiday Lesson ~ Winter Camp Workbook
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2011, 01:01:17 PM »
coco,
this book is fanatastic. and a total life saver! is it possible to upload the word file? i only have the reader version of adobe so i can't edit the book for my needs.
thanks so much, again! this is really great.

Offline tweety11226

• Adventurer
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2011, 10:07:12 AM »
Thanks TeacherJenni you ROCK!

Do you have the vids for Easter and Valentine's :)

I haven't found anything I like for Easter, but I may show this for valentines:

Did you post the Bday ppt because I am having a hard time finding the history about birthdays?

Offline katsy3g4

• Veteran
Hanukkah Lesson, "1st, 2nd, 3rd..."
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2011, 02:18:56 PM »
Here is a Hanukkah lesson I put together for one of my winter camp days. The language focus is counting using 1st, 2nd, 3rd, ect. I have an intro power point, song, activity, and game. The game directions are in Korean, so here's the run-down of the rules:

It's pretty much just a waterfall game. The students will make two teams. I will tell the students, "Line up according to your height/birthday/age/clothing color/hair length/ect.!" and the students must do this as fast as they can. Then, they must go down the line and the first person will say, "1st! my birthday is..." and the next person will say, "2nd!" and so on. The group who lines up first AND counts up correctly is the winner.

There is also a "Secret Code" activity in which the students work in teams to crack a secret code and find out the code word. They are Hanukkah words that I plan to elaborate on once the activity is complete. The first word is "Chanukkah" and the second word is "Dreidel." I also included a dreidel template in case someone wants to use that. Hope this helps someone!

Offline katsy3g4

• Veteran
Kwanza Lesson, "Do You Want Some More?"
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2011, 02:34:35 PM »
Here is a Kwanza lesson I made for one of my winter camp days. The language focus is "Do you want some more?" which echoes a lesson in the 5th grade textbook but I'm introducing different vocab words. There is also a song in the power point, a fill in the blank lyrics page, and a game that should be pretty straight forward. Hope this helps!

Offline bretzlz86

• Adventurer
Holiday's Camp (3rd & 4th)
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2011, 01:39:50 PM »
I going to do Holiday's for my 3rd & 4th grade weeks of camp. Each day will focus on a different Holiday.
Some stuff was taken from other waygook users so thanks to everyone for their efforts. I'll upload my lesson plans, but they aren't very detailed.

3rd:
Christmas
Day of the Dead
Chinese New Year
Thanksgiving
Mardi Gras/Pancake Day

4th:
Diwali
Earth Day
Christmas
Thanksgiving
Mardi Gras/Pancake Day

Offline bretzlz86

• Adventurer
Re: Holiday's Camp (3rd & 4th)
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2011, 01:49:14 PM »
Christmas
Thanksgiving
Mardi Gras/Pancake Day

Offline bretzlz86

• Adventurer
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2011, 01:58:12 PM »
Chinese New Year
Earth Day
Diwali

Offline bretzlz86

• Adventurer
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2011, 02:04:42 PM »
Ok, here's the last of the attachments. Hope someone finds this useful :) Good luck with winter camp!

Offline aarolye

• Veteran
Re: Camp Theme - Holidays
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2012, 11:17:33 AM »
Thanks so much for sharing your hard work everyone! I saw last week's Office episode and kind of wanted to start making a ppt about Belsnickle.  :laugh:

Sorry if I repost some same things - I don't want to go through each section. For my camp I mixed it up with world countries and holidays. My students were given a passport with the pages reserved for them to write about what holidays they learned.

For Hanukkah the students made their own dreidel, using the a completed template posted here before as a guideline.

For Cinco de mayo/Day of the Dead the students decorate their own sugar skull. They also made a God's eye.

For Diwali, the students decorated their own candles and rangoli.

For Mardi Gras, they made their own masks.

For Christmas they made their own Xmas tree while watching a Christmas episode of Psych.

All supplies were available at my local stationary store and at the Alpha store.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 11:33:12 AM by aarolye »

Offline Anne1

• Adventurer
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2013, 02:58:49 PM »
Here are five 40 minute  holiday classes for my camp. The lessons focus mostly on cultural traditions and not religion.

Day 1. Intro & Thanksgiving. I included, to some degree, the genocide of Native Americans.
Activity: A thanksgiving booklet about what they're thankful for.

Day 2: Easter
Activity: Easter egg painting.
If time remains, a short ppt about St Pattys Day.

Day 3: Hanukkah.
Activity: Make a dreidel and play with it!

Day 4: Christmas: Activity: make a Christmas stocking. NOTE some slides are empty becuase I will add photos after I go  home for Christmas.

Day 5: "Present YOUR favourite holiday." Kids will bring info from home and make posters of their fave holidays.

There's already so much up here but just in case someone needs these, I'm happy to share.

Offline teachersimone

• Adventurer
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2014, 12:36:08 PM »
2 Hour classes for Elementary (grade 3) Holiday Camp

Day 1: New Years
Day 2: Birthday
Day 3: Valentine's Day
Day 4: Mardi Gras
Day 5: St. Patrick's Day
Day 6: Easter
Day 7: Halloween
Day 8: Thanksgiving
Day 9: Christmas

Thanks to all contributors, enjoy! :D

Offline teachersimone

• Adventurer
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2014, 12:50:23 PM »
The rest :)

Offline melanie0989

• Adventurer
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2014, 07:56:08 AM »
Holiday camp for my elementary kids. Easter, Valentine's and Halloween. Mostly the material is borrowed/taken from others. :/ sorry I didn't jot down the names to thank them.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 09:12:38 AM by melanie0989 »

Offline Elle Stevens

• Adventurer
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2014, 02:41:07 PM »
This all looks awesome, thanks a bunch, guys :~D I'm definitely going to use this for my 2015 Winter Camp!

Offline Artisis

• Veteran
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2015, 09:16:48 AM »
I did a holiday themed camp for my 3rd graders this year.

Day1: Happy Birthday!
Students learn the names of the Month and ordinal numbers.
Objective: Students can say the date in English using the month name and correct ordinal number Ex: "January first"
Activity 1: Students listen and sing with month song
Activity 2: Present flashcards and time groups to place them in the correct order as fast as possible
Activity 3: Baskin Robins game with ordinal numbers
Activity 4: Spinner practice game for months and days
Activity 5: Bean bag toss with dates.
    Each group will have a poster (squares with dates in each square), a bean bag and a piece of paper (to keep score).
    • One student will toss the beanbag on the poster.
    • The other students will ask “When is your birthday?”
    • The student will respond with the date the beanbag landed on.
    • The date will be recorded as points (EX: March 4th=4pts.; December 14th= 14 pts.)
    • The score will be added to the group’s total score.
    • At the end of the game the score of all of the groups will be recorded and the winner will be selected.
    Watch out for students not saying the target language.

Overall this material was
a little difficult but for the rest of the week I had 3rd graders saying "April first" and not "April one" and given that our textbook (YMB) doesn't teach the months of the year or ordinal numbers until the SIXTH GRADE, I consider this a win even with the younger ones. *Students will never exceed your expectations if you keep lowering them*

Offline Artisis

• Veteran
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2015, 09:27:01 AM »
I did an Holiday themed camp for my thrid graders.

Day2: Happy Halloween
Students will learn about American Halloween traditions and students will learn about different monsters.

Presentation: PPT and pumpkin carving video.
Monster Mash Song: veiw
Monster brainstorm and presentation: "What monsters did you see?"
Monster Whisper Game
Monster Guessing Game

CRAFT: I had the students make ghosts using pom poms for a head, white tissue paper and rubber bands. I also had students make paper coffins using cut outs from a Sizzix machine.

EXTRA GAME: Students were blindfolded and given two pieces of a skeleton magnet and were asked to put the bones in the right place. I made the magnets myself.

Offline Artisis

• Veteran
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2015, 09:39:57 AM »
I did a holiday themed camp for my 3rd graders.

Day 3: Merry Christmas!
Students will learn about American traditions for Christmas and they will ask for and receive gifts using English.

Presentation:PPT
12 days of Christmas song (madagascar version)
  • Students will practice the lines and sing the song. (A little fast for this grade level but after 12 lines, everyone could say the last 3 on their own).
Pass the Present
  • Students will learn the target language “What do you want for Christmas?” “I want a (thing).”
  • Students will then play the game “pass the present” (like pass the ball).
  • The class will ask “What do you want for Christmas?” and the student with the ball will answer according to the slide.
Secret Santa Airplane game
  • Each student will get a worksheet that will have the sentence “I want a______.” along with a space to draw on it.
  • Each student will complete the worksheet and fold it into an airplane.
  • When the teacher says “Go!” students will begin throwing their airplane. Students will pick up airplanes that are near then and throw them for 30 seconds.
  • After the time is up, students will go and pick an airplane. They will go back to their seats and sit with their group. Students will then present their gift in small groups.
All students: What do you want?
S1: I want a (thing)
All students: This is for you.
S1: Thank you Thank you.

MOVIE: How the Grinch Stole Christmas
Instead of just mindlessly playing the movie, I went over the characters and setting first. Played the movie up until a certain point then paused for an intermission. After the students came back from the bathroom we did a little quiz before continuing the movie. It takes time but it helps to pause and check their understanding not to mention force them to use English and think.

Offline Artisis

• Veteran
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2015, 09:56:23 AM »
I did a holiday themed camp for 3rd graders.

Day 4: Easter and Thanksgiving
Students will learn about American holiday traditions.
Students will be able to describe items using color.
Students will be able to order food using grade level English.

EASTER MATERIALS: 2 PERIODS
Presentation: PPT
Dying Easter Eggs
  • My coteacher ordered gel food coloring off the internet along with apple vinegar (korean brand)
  • Each student got an egg, cup and some stickers. Students placed stickers on their egg and mixed the water and vinegar in their own cup.
  • In groups, students were dismissed to the front of the class where my coteacher and I placed the coloring in their cup for them.
  • We left the eggs in the cups until the end of the camp. Students took off the stickers to expose a pattern on their egg.  They came out great (even with tan colored eggs)
Scavenger Hunt
  • Before the class I collected a bunch of random holiday stuff I had (including a ton of fake spiders from halloween) and hid the same number of items in each of the three English rooms at my school.
  • Students were given a word scramble that acted as a checklist for how many items are in each room.
  • In 3 large groups, students were seperated and assigned to one of the rooms. They went through looking for the items and I periodically looked with them and gave them hints.
  • When a group found all the items, they came to me and counted each out loud. I then collected the items and gave most of them away evenly to the students (each student of mine got a candy, eraser, pencil and fake spider to take home)

This took about 2 40 minute periods to complete.