November 18, 2017, 08:11:28 PM

Author Topic: Detective Camp!  (Read 137446 times)

Offline spider

• Newgookin
Re: Detective Winter camp! (middle school)
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2011, 11:20:46 AM »
Damn it. I looked for ages for good I spy pictures...why didn't I find those?

The I spy game is like the I spy from the books. The kids have to find the list of things. (backstory - the police missed a lot of the evidence so the detectives have to go back over the crime sceen photos and find the thing on the list) There is also a code in the list. The first letter of every item spells out 'the next clue is on the CD.' On day 4 I played my classes a super slowed down voice saying 'follow your nose' (bacuase on day 4 they have to do the smell seach thing) and they had to figure out what it was saying.

I'll try to put up picture 4 again though I think for my next batch of classes I'll use the ones mycalmiles found - thanks a billion!

Offline whitespider

• Veteran
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2011, 02:02:02 PM »
Also, I seem to have forgotten to put the list up for I spy...here its is.

Offline whitespider

• Veteran
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2011, 02:10:15 PM »
Ah, one more thing. Someone asked what C.F.P (writen on most of the worksheets) means. This stands for crime fighting points or clue finder points. Points, in other words. I like having points systems so I know who's on to it and who is being lazy or doesn't get it. If an activity doesn't have C.F.P its probably a group activity and I have a different points system for that. Activities where there are C.F.P have a magnifying glass in the corner of their powerpoint slide and group activities will have a cup (mostly...I've changed things round a bit since I posted them here).

Offline Cranberryopah

• Super Waygook
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2011, 02:12:09 PM »
I'm feeling sheepish about asking the obvious but I canna' find the answer ???
In day 3 we do a word generating game:
  • nouns starting with R
    animals that live in the sea
    verbs starting with T
    types of fruit
    animals starting with D
Then we have to unscramble the clue hunt letters to spell "Dawn is dead"

I don't understand how the 5 word finding tasks provide words from which the capitals spell the scrambled sentence (Dawn is dead).  And I'm not sure how to use the clue hunt code cards.  Would you throw me a line? :blank:

Offline whitespider

• Veteran
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2011, 03:31:23 PM »
Haha. No probs. I'm sure you're not the only one confused. I should really have writen teacher's instructions for the tricky bits...
The quiz game is used to sort out what team will start the clue hunt first. So the team that can think of the most nouns starting with R gets the first clue hunt card and starts. Then the remaining groups compete to think of animals that live in the sea and start the clue hunt and so on...
The main part of day three is the clue hunt. There are 3 pages with pictures of people and what that person knows about Dawn, the missing secretary. You have to cut these up and tape them around your school. The first person is Dawn's neighbour. This is the card you give the students first (after they've won one of the quizzes). Dawn's neighbour tells them to see "old Gregor" - he hangs out where the teachers eat (NOTE: you have to change the places on the clue hunt cards to be places in your own school) They go to Gregor who tells them to see Joey who tells them to see the shopkeeper and so on through all 12 cards. So you know that they've read all the cards the students must write down the letter bellow each picture. When they come back (make sure the last card directs them back to you) they find Dawn mortally wounded in your classroom and rush to call the ambulance. Then they must unscramble the letters from the clue hunt cards that spell  "DAWN IS DEAD." She must have died on the way to the hospital. Cry cry. Now the students can go on to catch the murderers.

Offline morningdew88

• Waygookin
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2011, 09:15:11 AM »
hey thank you so much!
also do you think you can put up Mr. X's talk worksheet from day 5?
the first ws you posted has up to day 4 but not from day 5 and on
thx!!

Offline JamBird

• Waygookin
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2011, 03:33:36 PM »
Hey White Spider thanks for this great material! Do you happen to have the Mr. X sound files for Days 3 and 4?

J

Offline juskajo

• Veteran
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2011, 09:51:04 PM »
for the invisible ink, i couldn't find lemon juice so we just used lemons and squeezed the juice onto paintbrushes, and then heated the paper with a hair dryer.  nothing happened.

was anyone else too stupid to get this to work?

Offline deltablues

• Adventurer
Detective Winter camp! (middle school)
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2011, 04:14:50 PM »
I'm doing this camp this week, and since mine is four 45-minute classes a day for one week (actually 45 minutes a day is just watching a movie, so I use the material for 3 classes or 135 minutes,) I thought I'd share the changes I made to it to make it work.

I followed each day as it's posted here (except for Thursday and Friday,) with these additions:

On Monday, I started by playing 3-slips-of-paper game for the students to get to know each other: each student wrote down the answers to three questions (what will you do for winter break? what is your future dream?  what is your favorite book or movie?) each on one piece of paper.  Then I collected the papers and students drew three out of a hat, then asked their peers the questions to find out whose paper they had.

Then, I used the "How to build a team" prezi (http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,3958.0.html) when the students were making logos and detective agency names.  I had each agency come up with a secret handshake and then share it with the class.

On Tuesday, I had each team go through the choose-your-own-adventure.  Then, the whole class did this: it's choose-your-own-adventure made with clips of Night of the Living Dead. 

On Wednesday, we spent the extra time playing Mafia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mafia_%28party_game%29) which they LOVED.

In order to solve this crime before the week is up, Thursday I had the students do the smell thing and decode the messages (from day 5.)  Then we played a game of BAAM with questions that reviewed the mystery so far, as well as general detective questions like "who is this?" (Sherlock Holmes) "what is this?" (a flashlight.)

For Friday, then, I have to have these kids find out who the killers are and capture them!  I didn't use the material from day 6 (honestly I didn't understand how it was supposed to work)  I made a new powerpoint instead.

First, the students listen to five witness's testimony and fill in the blanks,
then they use the testimony to figure out which 2 of 15 pictures are the criminals.
One of the criminals had a torn up note in his pocket when he was arrested.  The teams will each put the note together and decode it,
And the note says when and where they were going to meet the third criminal, so the teams each write a short story of what they will do to catch the criminal.  Then they share with the class. 

I'll fill in gaps with heads-up-7-up (or possibly more Mafia) and some tic-tac-toe (divide the class into two teams, put a vocab word in each square, and students have to make a sentence with the word in order to win the square.)

Anyway I just wanted to share because I got so much out of this!  They loved running around the school on Wednesday looking for clues.

Regarding invisible ink: I used lemon juice, and to make it work I painted on a few layers so it would soak through the paper.  It turns brown when heated, but the part of the paper that was wet with lemon juice also got wrinkly when it dried, so you can read the code anyway.  Oh, well :P
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 04:19:47 PM by deltablues »

Offline jakub

• Adventurer
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2011, 06:48:10 PM »
So we got to Day 6 and then... what happened?  :-[

Offline karpouzi

• Adventurer
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2011, 07:45:32 AM »
I agree...what happens next? I would like to do this camp next week!

Offline MelIsaSan

• Waygookin
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2011, 09:14:17 AM »
Any updates on this? I'd love to do this camp next week but I'm missing the Mr. X files from the 3rd day onward.

Please help!

Daejeon

« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2011, 09:31:38 AM »
I have made a "where in the world is [Carmen SanDiego]?" game, that would be perfect for this detective camp.

Check my signature for a link to it.

Offline eirrehs

• Explorer
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2011, 09:32:55 AM »
Hey!!!

Just hoping you'll upload the rest of the lessons *^^*

Offline whitespider

• Veteran
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2011, 10:28:49 AM »
Ah. Yes. Balls. Very sorry, I'll sort out the rest and put it up now.
I was going to do this camp again in the spring vacation but my school decided it would be a good time to do something to the power in all the classrooms so I had no computer (and no heating and no lights) so I couldn't. Anyhow, here are some things for day 7. (Some of them are open office files. That's where I make them and I can't be bothered changing them over to word because they reformat themselves all crazy like. Just download open office. It's free and good.

Some of this stuff isn't quite finished. I just wrote the letters on the footprint chase cards with vivid on the day. Also, the where's wally i spy thing is super rough, I can't seem to find the pretty one.

Basic instructions for day 7:
Hide a bunch of letters around you class room. Have them spell out the killers names (choose one of the guys form the guess who thing) To slow the kids down I made them collect the letters with a 'tool' so they didn't get their fingertprints all over the evidence (chopsicks, tongs, gloves, tweezers etc). Make sure you print out one set of letters per group and on different coloured paper so they dont get double ups of letters.
While their madly hunting for letters hide a mask printout under some student's seats (one person per group). Where they've figured out the name of the guy the students with the masks become the killers and must be tied up. Get them to move to a different group, that group ties the killer's hands behind their backs (tying must be done in 4 mins) then the killer tried to escape. If they can do that within 30 seconds thet get a point, if not the tying group gets a point. My kids were super into this so I let them all have a go at escaping.
For the mini mystery they had to find things in the where's wally pic.

Offline whitespider

• Veteran
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2011, 10:37:50 AM »
Day 8 - Directions

This stuff might also need a bit of prettying up. I have a new computer at school ao I lost all the stuff on the old one. I back stuff up all the time but so I still have the nearly finished camp...

First the kids have to follow the writen diretions on the map to find the killers base - this is quite hard. Help them if they look stressed.
Then blindfold one kid form each group. Tell them some story about the ally leading to the base being super dark and windy. Tell them that each detective agency only has one pair of night vision goggles. The person with the goggles person must direct the blind person trough a course mared on you classroom floor (use tape of postits) Make it tricky. Have them climb over a desk and stuff. The fastest group gets points. Add time if they step over the lines or give directions in Korean.
I didnt have time for the door locks part in this lesson so it got pushed back to day 9

Offline whitespider

• Veteran
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2011, 10:43:50 AM »
Day 9 - last day! OMG!

Nearly there!
First, the students must unlock the door to the base by solving the 4 sequence codes. Then they finish up by 'shooting' the bad guy with screwed up paper. The person that hits him first must answer a review question (I made them up on the spot). If they get it right their team gets a point. Make sure you use differnt coloured balls of paper for each group so you can tell who hit the guy.

Offline whitespider

• Veteran
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2011, 10:49:00 AM »
On Day 10 we had a shared lunch, prize giving and watched a couple of episodes of detective-related simpsons.

Also, here is a revised diary that you can print and make into a little book, the raw mr x text, the mr x fill in the blanks, certificates (super ugly but I made them at the last second) and skills points sheet.

Offline whitespider

• Veteran
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2011, 10:53:02 AM »
I'm making some teachers instructions to go with this camp because I know the powerpoints aren't don't give very good instructions. I'll put it up as soon as it's finished.

If you want to use the Mr. X sound thingy you can use the raw text (called mr x's talks) to make your own on the website that was linked to on page 3 or something.

Offline khowes

• Waygookin
« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2011, 09:44:34 AM »
This camp looks AMAZING!!! Thank you for all your hard work! You must be an amazinggggggggg teacher! I'm hoping to use this for my 5 day summer camp.

You have made my life so.much.easier.

Thank you.Thank you. Thank you.