November 18, 2017, 08:13:23 PM

Author Topic: Detective Camp!  (Read 137449 times)

Offline Rockryder

• Adventurer
Re: Detective Camp!
« Reply #240 on: January 23, 2013, 03:40:41 PM »
DAY 5 - Codede messages.

To make it more interesting i edited a puzzle game and hid one of the messages in there.
Students have to solve the puzzle to reveal the coded message.

The kids went crazy for it.

For day 5 i only used 6 messages instead of 8. i took out messages 5 and 6.

So for my message #5,
I told the students Mr Black had hidden message in a puzzle (see attached water puzzle)  and they have to solve it to see the next message.

I got the original game from the internet and edited it.
If you've seen Die Hard, you'll know this game.

Basically there are 2 jugs (3 gallons and 5 gallons), you have to weigh exactly 4 gallons and put it on the scale to solve it and reveal the message.

Detail instructions are in the puzzle.

I also added C.F.P in the puzzle according to the number of moves they make to solve the puzzle. The minimum moves you can make is 6.

6 moves  =  50 C.F.P
7-8 moves = 30 C.F.P
9 - 10 moves  = 20 C.F.P
11 or more = 15 C.F.P

The Hidden coded message reads....

TO PINK
REMEMBER, WE ARE KILLING DAWN AT MIDNIGHT TOMORROW.
FROM BLACK.

Ofcourse you'll need a computer to play the puzzle.
I had an extra computer in my English room and there were two groups.
So i put one group on the extra computer and another group on the main computer.

You could use your laptop/tablet/smartphone if you're in need of more...it works on them.

any questions let me know if you get to use this

Have fun.....

PS:
Attached files
PC-waterPuzzle - for PC computers
MacOS-waterPuzzle - for Apple Mac.
Browser_waterPuzzle - to play with your Internet browser.

Offline Rockryder

• Adventurer
« Reply #241 on: January 23, 2013, 06:31:08 PM »
by the way the original puzzle site i got it from...
http://www.inc.eng.kmutt.ac.th/course/inc551/waterpuzzle.swf

didn't change anything about the game just added some texts...

just in case there is copyright issues....haha

Offline kitty.cat

• Veteran
« Reply #242 on: January 31, 2013, 03:12:06 PM »
Hello Again:

I posted earlier warning teachers that the person featured in the final PowerPoint is the Virginia Tech shooter, and Korean national, CHO Seung-hui. I do not think it is appropriate to include this picture and encourage teachers to change it.

I've just now realised that the 4 people in the gangs in the Guess Who game on Day 6 are named after real serial killers and child rapists.

Personally I feel this is in bad taste, and I wish I had known before using these names for the characters in the camp.

OP, this camp was really popular with my students and I'm really grateful for your hard work.

However, even if your moral compass differs from mine, you may want to think about including stuff like this in case your students/ their parents/ your coworkers feel like me.

Offline skountz

• Adventurer
« Reply #243 on: March 07, 2013, 11:49:02 AM »
I taught the same group of 2nd year Middle school students for 2 weeks, 3.5 hours a day (9 to 12:30 pm)

I had originally planned to do 1 week detective camp, 1 week music camp, but I had so much materials (I didn't even do all I had planned) that detective camp ended up being 7 days! I even had a girl bring her elementary school sister to camp, and she was able to do most of camp with the help of her sister.

Thanks so much whitespider!! You materials were SO GREAT! I just had some additions and changes to make things work better for my camp.

Day 1:
Introductions, What Detective are you ?

Day 2:
Group Logo, Introduction to Detective/ Detective Vocabulary (in retrospect there was A LOT of vocabulary words for the students. Either I should have been reinforcing the words more, or cutting down the words into the 5/6 essential ones.)

Day 3: Missing People Puzzle, Find the Missing Secretary, watch Lifted

Day 4: Scavenger Hunt (I changed the reason why Dawn was killed to have a better storyline), Find the Phone, Calling the Ambulance Script, watch Psych Episode

Day 5: Review Pysch Questions, Smell Search, Quesadilla Party

Day 6: Gang Guess Who, Criminal Guess Who,

Day 7: Chasing Criminal Relay Race, Criminal Obstacle Course,  Find the Fingerprints (Criminals Names), Gang Accomplices Tie Up, Peanut Butter Cookie Party

I made a video of my camp in case you want to see how it looked like:

Offline seamie89

• Waygookin
« Reply #244 on: July 09, 2013, 06:35:41 PM »
Excellent ideas! Well done to the creator and all others who have sub,mitted ideas, links, activities etc.  ;D

I have similar style camps as skountz, and am interested in following your camp outline.

I am having problems downloading your links though as they are '.rar' files and my computer is not recognising them.

Any ideas?
Thanks

Offline teacher1066

• Waygookin
« Reply #245 on: July 16, 2013, 11:30:18 AM »
Is it just me, or are the two zipfiles originally uploaded by Whitespider not on this thread? I can download every other file, it would just save a lot of time of someone could re-upload the zipfiles! Cheers.

Offline Arwen87

• Waygookin
« Reply #246 on: July 16, 2013, 11:51:50 AM »
First of all, I just wanted to join everybody else in saying "thank you" for this material! I am teaching my first English camp next week using a modified version, and I am so excited for it. Thank you also to whoever compiled the material into a workbook (can't find the post now).

Is it just me, or are the two zipfiles originally uploaded by Whitespider not on this thread? I can download every other file, it would just save a lot of time of someone could re-upload the zipfiles! Cheers.

They are actually still attached to the original post, they just get a bit lost among the Day 1 material.  They are labeled:

Sound files, pictures and video.zip
Detective Camp.zip

Offline teacher1066

• Waygookin
« Reply #247 on: July 16, 2013, 01:21:10 PM »
First of all, I just wanted to join everybody else in saying "thank you" for this material! I am teaching my first English camp next week using a modified version, and I am so excited for it. Thank you also to whoever compiled the material into a workbook (can't find the post now).

They are actually still attached to the original post, they just get a bit lost among the Day 1 material.  They are labeled:

Sound files, pictures and video.zip
Detective Camp.zip

Thanks so much for pointing that out! I was looking for a separate post with the zips attached!

Offline Mokona

• Veteran
« Reply #248 on: July 19, 2013, 09:31:35 AM »
this is so cool!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

I will be using part of this material and pairing it with either CSI or Sherlock/ Cluedo since my kids are quite low level.

Thank you so much for your hardwork! Keep it up!!

Offline albinoninja

• Veteran
« Reply #249 on: July 19, 2013, 09:39:04 AM »
I edited the Detective ID and Detective Agency files, thought I would share them.

For the Detective ID there is a certain way you should print it.
First, you need to set it to print 4 pages per sheet.  This should be the last option in the print window.  Then, you need to type "1,1,1,1" under the pages you want printed in order to get four sets on one page.  With this method you can fold the page into quarters and then each ID in half.  It will put the badge on one side and student info on the other.

With the Detective Agency file I just modified the font to one I thought was nicer for the theme.
Enjoy~

Offline jwharrison30

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #250 on: July 19, 2013, 10:28:59 AM »
A witness description type game I made. 

On slide 2 there is the form my kids will be using, just delete the sample information and print it a few times to use it if you like.

Offline jwharrison27

• Waygookin
« Reply #251 on: July 20, 2013, 04:44:46 PM »
What happens next video, ppt game and worksheet.

Keep the ppt at full screen and alt-tab between the video and the ppt.  Remember to pause the video. :)

Offline jwharrison27

• Waygookin
« Reply #252 on: July 21, 2013, 10:26:27 AM »
Some more things!

Hot seat game.
Disguise game and printout disguises.
Catch the bank robber board game.
Cipher code disk printable pdf
Papercraft police car instructions and printable
Papercraft police station instructions and printable

In the disguise game there is a picture of me, so best to delete that one unless you want to scare your kids.

Also the board game instructions probably need tidied up a bit...

Offline Mokona

• Veteran
« Reply #253 on: July 29, 2013, 02:20:50 PM »
Thank you so much!!!!

Since I have to teach 4 periods a day (each 45mins) I combined your camp stuff with some activities afterwards and the kids love it!!!

Keep up the good work!!!

Offline Hoosier_Jedi

• Expert Waygook
  • I'm a knight of my own republic.
« Reply #254 on: September 26, 2013, 02:10:41 PM »
The first PPT introduces kids to the term detective and some related words. A bit of that I took from someone else's lesson but don't recall whose.

Then it segs into introducing the five senses. The game focuses on sight. I did this lesson today and it went pretty well. But as a suggestion, have students who are spotting differences line up and then hand the pointer off after spotting something. Also, the bonus round works best with older students. My 3rd grade kids were kinda confused by that aspect.

Offline Hoosier_Jedi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #255 on: September 27, 2013, 01:56:13 PM »
Here's the tasting lesson. The Korean has been checked by a CT.

Offline Hoosier_Jedi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #256 on: October 04, 2013, 02:19:51 PM »
The Touch lesson. As always, a CT has checked the Korean.

Offline Hoosier_Jedi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #257 on: October 11, 2013, 03:12:57 PM »
Here's the listening lesson. I'd suggest having a KT help you pick out some Korean music the kids might know and mix it with stuff of your choosing.

But beware. My kids laughed at Johnny Cash's "Hurt."  :cry:

Offline curtmetzger2

• Newgookin
« Reply #258 on: December 25, 2013, 11:21:30 PM »
See the bottom of this page for  Zip files of the whole camp!

PLEASE DOWNLOAD THE TWO ZIP FILES - don't download all the other files I have uploaded. There are no/less mistakes in the zipped stuff and it will save you downloading a million individual files.

Good luck with your camp  ;)

Where is the zip file? i can not seem to find it... thanks!

Offline kimjones

• Veteran
« Reply #259 on: December 30, 2013, 08:29:00 AM »
I've used this Detective camp about 3 times now and it has been really successful.  I had to shorten it a bit and used the best activities though.  Anyway, there was a Spy Camp posted some time last year that I managed to grab the files for but I can't find the thread to see how it went with other people.  Anyone know what happened to it?