November 18, 2017, 08:09:57 PM

Author Topic: Detective Camp!  (Read 137445 times)

Offline ariybird

• Veteran
Re: Detective Winter camp! (middle school)
« Reply #180 on: February 13, 2012, 01:33:53 PM »
So I think this idea was beyond brilliant. However, I teach elementary students and murder is not something that I want to bring up in the classroom. My kids don't deal well with violent stuff. So I modified it into a theft from the teacher who also happens to run a detective school. If they acculate enough skill point (or solve the case) we had a cooking day (pancakes). It was a 5 day camp.  I ran it with my 3/4 graders. It was a bit too hard for the third graders but worked over all well. I also intended to play Mafia with them the last day but realized a portion of the class didin't really understand what had occurred crime wise (even though they'd some up with the correct solutions) so day 5 is a review and a cooking day.

The pictures are mostly from Case Closed.
Posted by day for other elementary teachers. Thanks a ton Whitespider and everybody else!

Offline ariybird

• Veteran
« Reply #181 on: February 13, 2012, 01:50:03 PM »
The rest of my material

Offline Kalama131

• Waygookin
« Reply #182 on: March 06, 2012, 11:53:32 AM »
I really like the evidence cup ones. Having students use their other senses and try to guess the smell.

I also want to do one where they have to reach their hand into a box and describe the object. then they have to come together as a group and come to a group decision on whatever the object can be. The group or groups that get it right get a point, stamp, check, and so on.

Offline cousinsteve

• Adventurer
Re: Detective Camp!
« Reply #183 on: May 18, 2012, 10:19:50 AM »
Thanks so much for all the effort everyone has put into this camp! I'm attaching a ZIP file that contains a ton of brainteasers, lateral thinking puzzles, logic puzzles, and some Encyclopedia Brown short stories. I think some of this would make a great addition to a detective camp and I hope some of you find it useful. cheers again!!
Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.

Offline Green_kimchi

• Explorer
« Reply #184 on: May 24, 2012, 10:17:33 AM »
I'm going through this camp now and I have to say it's probably the most fun I've had teaching in the last 6 months or so - I'm loving it and so are the kids!! Thanks so much for uploading this and taking the time to complete the official looking lesson plans too - I have no idea how many hours work you saved me. I also appreciate the bits of Britishism sprinkled throughout the text!!!

I've only got a 5 day camp so I'm doing it at twice the prescribed speed (with 90 mins per day) and it seems about right - luckily my kids were hand picked for camp so they're able to complete each activity pretty quickly.

Anyway, the only bit which I felt I had to change so far was the "I spy" activity on day 3 (my day 2) - I used some images from the site another poster mentioned and changed the hidden to code to "CHECK THE CD". I've uploaded my files in case anybody else wants to use them. IF you do, you'll need to edit the main PPT file to reflect there are only 10 items to find in total.

Thanks for uploading these! I was also struggling to get my head around the i-spy game. I wonder if you could post again but circle where the objects are as I'm going blind trying to find them. Where's the potato in picture one? And the scissors and cell phone in picture 2? If you could that would be EXTREMELY helpful!!

I'm now going through all the material to use this for my summer camp - there's so much here! Thanks to everyone for the great resource :)

Offline sasamme

• Explorer
« Reply #185 on: May 28, 2012, 08:03:53 PM »
Just downloaded and took a look at a few of your worksheets and activities. This camp is amazing and the activities are very creative. I'm planning a mystery camp and your camp has just been the best resource. Thank-you so much for sharing. =)

Offline prigov

• Adventurer
« Reply #186 on: June 08, 2012, 03:03:52 PM »
I've been meaning to play Wink Murder with after school, but I see so many possibilities with this theme! Excellent stuff!

Offline orionespy

• Newgookin
« Reply #187 on: June 26, 2012, 12:29:54 PM »
 :)  I am planning to do a detective class for my students as well and I think I will compare what you have and later post my lesson plan.  You sound like yours was a lot of fun for the students.  Thanks!

Offline aarolye

• Veteran
« Reply #188 on: June 27, 2012, 02:51:56 PM »
First of all - thank you so much for a great camp lesson!

How do you determine what Detective Class a student is? Do they count the most number of "yes" on their card?

Offline Llory

• Newgookin
« Reply #189 on: June 27, 2012, 07:09:52 PM »
Thanks for uploading the first 5 days, will you be putting up the last 5 days?  Everything looks great and am excited to try with my students.  I do have one question what does the C.F.P. mean on most of the worksheets?

I also wondered what means C.F.P. and I'm sure my little detectives will want to know too.
Also, I'm having trouble finding the images from "I Spy" on Day 3. The worksheet seems to be very specific with the items and it's quite hard to find the exact images. Has anyone found them?

Thanks for the help. I'm starting the Detective camp next week and I'm sure the kids will have a wonderful time!
Thank you White Spider for this great, well-structured camp plan!

Offline MelisaPi

• Newgookin
« Reply #190 on: June 29, 2012, 09:59:32 PM »
Hello! I am incorporating two of your activity worksheets in my summer school program. I meant to give you credit at the bottom of the worksheets, but the deadline loomed and I forgot in my rush. It's my first camp program.
Anyhow, I wanted to thank you for an amazing lesson plan.
I let my colleagues know that it was the hard work of another that gave my booklet an extra kick.

Best-

Offline tinkerbellmaggie

• Veteran
« Reply #191 on: July 11, 2012, 10:33:25 PM »
This  is such a brilliant idea! Unfortunately, my kids' English is not good enough for the level of this camp so I have taken the idea you have and come up with the below.  I have "lifted" some ideas and some of your activities. Fantastic, Fantastic job.

this is what I plan on doing....I hope I get to do it especially the bit on Nancy Drew.

Class 1   English Detective Camp – How to be a detective    Vocab: Detective, clue, magnifying glass, pen, notebook, ID badge, find, detective, solve, agency, bad guy, good guy
Activity: Creating ID badge
*** In detective folder clue to finding a sweet each day. Whoever solves the clue gets the sweet.

Class 2   English Detective Camp – While I was sleeping….   Vocab: Alien, Spaceship, flying around, breaking, falling, crashing.
Short Movie: Lifted
Activity: Fill in the blanks.

Class 3   English Detective Camp
-   What’s that….(sense)
   Vocab: hear, taste, touch, smell, see, sound
Game: Blindfold test: What’s that ? (use cups/bowls with food, drinks, etc and children have to identify them by taste, touch and smell.

Class 4   English Detective Camp – Find the Object   Salad thieves hidden objects associated words.
Activity: Find the Salad Thieves hidden object  worksheet.

Class 5   English Detective Camp – What’s the song?   5 songs are played (mix of songs used in Afterschool and other).
Game: Guess the song

Class 6   English Detective Camp – Guess who    Vocab: Describe, hair (colours), eyes (colours), clothes (shirt, jeans), shape (round, tall, thin, fat, short etc)
Game:Guess Who.

Class 7   English Detective Camp – Movie Day.    Nancy Drew movie

Class 8   English Detective Camp – Movie Day.   Nancy Drew movie

Class 9   English Detective Camp – Nancy Drew   (if needed finish movie)
Activity: Quiz on movie
Game: I spy (in the classroom).

Class 10   English Detective Camp –  Nancy Drew   
Cryptogram
#1 Detective Certificates

Offline lukelui

• Waygookin
« Reply #192 on: July 12, 2012, 01:00:44 AM »
WHITE SPIDER Once again congratulations and thank you for such a wonderful theme. I think you have helped a lot of people out.

As many of us are now aware summer camp time is just around the corner. I am  hoping to use these lessons  and the detective camp for my summer camp too. I'm just trying to iron out  any problems to make sure that this is something that i can pull off with my teaching style  :-[. i'm a little worried about it, as i have not done much of my own planning. Usually the case during camp time. i find planning difficult.

Anyway, i wonder if anyone can help. I'm stuck on 'day two.' I have had a good search but i can't really understand it.

I believe the objective is 1- solve the photo puzzle. That  much i understand. We should but the pictures up and let the students complete the puzzle.

Next we should give out the 'missing people file ' however i don't think  there is enough description to work out who the missing people are with just their face and the missing people information alone. eg. On the missing people file it states 'Holly Dwarf' wears a wig but there is no obvious answer when looking the pictures.

I can work out that 'Dawn Lister' is the secretary, but it really is  not easy to put a name to the her face  or any other faces in my opinion. Perhaps it doing it super wrong. So i'm a little confused. In the ppt where it gives the answers if 'Dawn Lister' is to be the secretary i believe this to be some what of a paradox also, as she appears to be of Afro of caribean decent.

It is noted that. Tash Carter (Cafe manager) said " I don't know why you're asking me. Mr.x is a terrible racist; he'd never hire a  African woman to be  his secretary." Well in that case, why would 'Dawn Lister' be the secretary. As she is not of white? Unless this is part of the plot?

So in short i can't to the second goal  ' find each persons name '  am i missing something. please help. Perhaps i'm other thinking it.

Anyone else having a similar problem, or know who i do it. Im' thinking as a work around i should add more information in the missing people file and in the clues.

Thanks in advance.

Offline whitespider

• Veteran
« Reply #193 on: July 13, 2012, 12:11:38 PM »
Hey hey.

When I was planning out this camp there was actually going to be a whole subplot in which the students could find out why Dawn wanted to kill her boss and Mr. X just hired what he thought to be n00b detectives instead of relying on the police because he was behind the murder all along and he didn't want to get caught. There was a whole lot more character development going on but (as always when I'm planning camp and get a whole bunch 'just have fun with them classes' unexpectedly thrust upon me at the end of the year) I ran out of time to finish those parts. Day two has some remnants though so maybe that's why it doesn't make a lot of sense...From what I remember my students didn't seem to have any problems figuring out who was who but its easy to change the identifiers on the worksheet if you want to.

As for the second part of day two, there are many pathways students can follow to find out who is and who isn't the secretary. I don't remember Dawn being African though? The was one distinctly African missing person and Dawn was kinda Jamacan-y? You could change that bit too though if you wanted it to be clearer.

My advice is to go through the camp carefully. Change bits you don't fully understand or have better ideas for and try not to over think things because I'm sure your kids wont :)

Good luck with your camp!

Offline tayak4

• Explorer
« Reply #194 on: July 20, 2012, 11:47:12 AM »
What does "C.F.P." stand for in the camp materials?

For example: "Name:......................... C.F.P."

Offline aarolye

• Veteran
« Reply #195 on: July 20, 2012, 12:29:42 PM »
What does "C.F.P." stand for in the camp materials?

For example: "Name:......................... C.F.P."

Everyone has been asking the same thing. So far I only found that CFP stands for Canada Firearms Program and Concealed Firearm Permit. I am just going to go with the latter.

Offline Deagu_Ms

• Adventurer
« Reply #196 on: July 20, 2012, 12:40:37 PM »
My shortened Dtective Camp
I took some ideas from here and other places to try to make a murder mystery detective camp for Middle school students. I've used some popular K-pop stars and random well known characters in it also. I only have one day of camp, so I tried to condense it all. Not sure how it will go yet. Trying it out for the first time next week but my scavenger hunt went well last year so I'm hopeful. There are 4/5 parts, some of which you could extend or take out time permitting. A short lesson plan should explain it all.

Not everything is mine, so thanks to everyone for their help.

Offline whitespider

• Veteran
« Reply #197 on: July 23, 2012, 10:18:15 AM »
CFP stands for crime fighter points or clue finder points. Students can get points for completing each thing and the one with the most points at the end of camp wins something.

Offline Cranberryopah

• Super Waygook
« Reply #198 on: July 24, 2012, 06:17:12 AM »
No one has asked these so I'm sure they're silly questions, however (inserts keyboard in "mouth")

1. I can easily find the firse 3 pics from day 3 but I can't find the 4th picture from day 3.

2. I can't find the paper clips in the second picture-my eyes are going in circles.  :'(

3. When I attempted to download the camp zipped files, I get the attached message. Edit: it worked on my school computer.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 09:32:56 AM by Cranberryopah »

Offline aarolye

• Veteran
« Reply #199 on: July 24, 2012, 09:25:57 AM »
Ah! Also here are the photos I used for the I spy on Day three. I'm so sorry I haven't been putting things up that speedily. I've been meaning take these photos for ages but I didn't actually get round to doing it until this morning, a few hours before I needed them for class  :-[

Is anyone else having trouble viewing the "pic 3.jpg" from this post?