July 31, 2014, 04:11:38 AM

Author Topic: Hangman Game Inappropriate for Elementary School?  (Read 4032 times)

Offline sordini

• Explorer
Hangman Game Inappropriate for Elementary School?
« on: April 06, 2012, 04:40:39 PM »
I just want to get some feedback on the question, "Do you think Hangman is not appropriate for public elementary school kids?"

I was playing the game for the first time with my 5th graders using the Hangman application on Chrome (http://www.hangman.no/chrome.html), and I had built a word bank for the kids using words from the lesson and other random stuff.  It shows the Hangman slowly being drawn and then it lets him hang if you miss all the letters.

My co-teacher told me after the lesson that some students were upset and that she didn't think it was appropriate, although no students seemed to visibly mind the game, in fact they ostensibly enjoyed it.  It just seemed strange to me that they would consider this game inappropriate.  Maybe it has something to do with the high levels of suicide in the country?  I remember playing this game in elementary school and really liking it. 

After that, I attempted to try Hangman with my 3rd/4th grade after-school class (about 16 kids) and one girl started crying uncontrollably and went to the back of the room and hid behind a desk.  The other students told me she was sad because of the music that comes along with the game, but it left me shaken and wondering if it had to do with something else.

Back to the original question:  "Do you think this Hangman game is inappropriate for a public elementary school?"  And why?  Does anyone have an alternative version online that they use?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 01:39:31 AM by sordini »

Offline Jozigirl

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: Hangman Game Inappropriate for Elementary School?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 05:11:09 PM »
I don't think Hangman itself is inappropriate for elementary school level but I think that this version is inappropriate for the level you mention.  I used this site too (for high school second graders) and some of my kids were freaked out by it so my co-teachers suggested that we just use the board for future games of hangman. 

Offline tesoljon

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 07:16:49 PM »
Could you just try it with the sound off? Although the swinging body is a bit much...

I've also seen a version where a knight is fighting a baby dragon. For every wrong letter, the knight's armor falls off and the dragon gets bigger, until the knight is in his boxes being roasted by the dragon. Wish I could remember where I saw that...

Offline lotte world

• The Legend
  • (rolls eyes)
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 07:46:22 PM »
I just want to get some feedback on the question, "Do you think Hangman is not appropriate for public elementary school kids?"

I was playing the game for the first time with my 5th graders using the Hangman application on Chrome (http://www.hangman.no/chrome.html)

No.  That's not the question you want feedback on.

Your question is "Is it inappropriate for me to use this particular on-line game with my kids, I mean, c'mon guys, it's ok, isn't it?"

The answer is yes.  It's inappropriate.  I cannot believe you are so insensitive to have to ask.

Hangman itself is not inappropriate (IMHO).  As for an alternative, well, it's very easy to play with a word list on a piece of paper and some chalk and a blackboard.

Offline rain_dancer

• Explorer
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 08:23:38 PM »
I've played hangman many times in classes when I've needed to fill some time, but I've never actually used the original format with the person getting hung. In this day and age where people are so easily offended, it seems commonsense why you shouldn't do it like that, whatsmore it's so easy to improvise some variation on it which keeps everyone happy and eliminates any connotations of violence, suicide, etc.

Offline tesoljon

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 08:51:20 PM »
I've played hangman many times in classes when I've needed to fill some time, but I've never actually used the original format with the person getting hung. In this day and age where people are so easily offended, it seems commonsense why you shouldn't do it like that, whatsmore it's so easy to improvise some variation on it which keeps everyone happy and eliminates any connotations of violence, suicide, etc.
Any suggestions for variations?

Offline lotte world

• The Legend
  • (rolls eyes)
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 09:24:20 PM »

I just made one up off the top of my head.

Pizza Man(tm)!

It's like Hangman, but it involves pizza.

A hangman game typically allows 10-12 wrong guesses.  Here's my idea for offering 8 chances.

Draw a man.  Next to the man draw a pizza divided into 8 (it's just a circle and 4 lines.  You can do 10 if you can figure it out.)  Explain that the man will only get pizza if the kids get the word or phrase right.  Now play hangman as normal, but for each wrong guess erase a slice of 'pizza'.  You can even draw the man's expression becoming more dismayed (I can't as a suck at drawing).  Tada!  Hangman equivalent which won't make little girls cry.

Offline tesoljon

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 10:21:35 AM »

Pizza Man(tm)!

A hangman game typically allows 10-12 wrong guesses.  Here's my idea for offering 8 chances.

Draw a man.  Next to the man draw a pizza divided into 8 (it's just a circle and 4 lines.  You can do 10 if you can figure it out.)  Explain that the man will only get pizza if the kids get the word or phrase right.  Now play hangman as normal, but for each wrong guess erase a slice of 'pizza'.  You can even draw the man's expression becoming more dismayed (I can't as a suck at drawing).  Tada!  Hangman equivalent which won't make little girls cry.

10-12??? I usually do 6: body, 2 legs, 2 arms, head. The Google version was the first I've seen where they draw the gallows as you guess.

Offline Yu_Bumsuk

• The Legend
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 10:47:14 AM »
I love this version. Maybe it's not suitable for elementary but I'm sure my secondary school students will love it.

Offline lotte world

• The Legend
  • (rolls eyes)
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 12:20:08 PM »

Pizza Man(tm)!

10-12??? I usually do 6: body, 2 legs, 2 arms, head. The Google version was the first I've seen where they draw the gallows as you guess.

Ok, here's how you would do it.  Draw a circle and divide it into 6 pieces by drawing three lines across the circle.  Let me know if you need help with any other number of pieces.

Offline LemonWater

• Super Waygook
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 12:49:54 PM »
Draw an animal, like a pig. At the end, say "you are the pig".

Offline anixela

• Explorer
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 12:30:28 AM »
Huh. I regularly play Hangman with my elementary school kids (the analog version) and my kids love it. Sometimes they ask to play it without me even planning it in my lesson, so I'm like "ah well, screw this plan" *shrug* I think it really depends on the kids. I showed this to all of my level 3 students one day and one girl freaked out and bawled for five minutes whereas the other level 3 class has been asking me to show it to them again and again and again ever since. So just don't take it personally. I mean some people like clowns and others don't mind, right? So don't play Hangman anymore if they don't like it!

Offline tesoljon

• Expert Waygook

Offline arosesg

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2012, 06:36:49 PM »
For variations, draw a simple flower on the board.  With each incorrect guess, erase a petal until they're all gone (you can choose how many, 5 or 8 or whatever) and the game is over.  Play the rest like Hangman, with students guessing letters to complete a word or phrase.  My kids just called it The Flower Game.

Offline Gansie

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 11:54:05 AM »
I played another version of this game with my gr1 and 2's. I drew a tropical island with shark fins sticking out of the sea. And then I drew myself floating above the sea desperately holding onto balloons (maybe 10 balloons). Whenever they gave an incorrect answer, a balloon blew away. I also had 3 blue balloons floating in the air. I had three questions designated as blue balloon questions. If they were answered correctly, then that balloon was added.

I guess it wasn't inappropriate, because I was the intended shark victim. They knew I was safe. They really loved it. And they managed to keep me alive.

Recent Lesson Plans

dealing with problematic kids? by toddsqui
[Today at 03:00:55 AM]

mentos and coke help by toddsqui
[Today at 12:07:07 AM]

This lesson always works for me~ by DanaPaige
[Yesterday at 05:11:53 PM]

English Detective Camp (4th or 5th grade) by tdotroks
[Yesterday at 02:57:11 PM]

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment