November 20, 2017, 05:35:47 PM

Author Topic: Buddhism  (Read 915 times)

Offline steve2398132

• Adventurer
Buddhism
« on: December 14, 2011, 12:42:58 PM »
Hello all,

I was wondering if there are any recommendations for books on Buddhism.  I donít pertain to any specific religion; however Iím always interested in learning, and from what I have read/heard of Buddhism I find myself inclined towards their philosophical/religious views.

Any recommendations on where to start would be appreciated!     

Offline gradesofshey

• Adventurer
Re: Buddhism
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 01:20:25 PM »
This looks like a good place to start...

http://www.amazon.com/Very-Best-Introductory-Books-Buddhism/lm/7W9CAP36HY9S

There is also a ton of free resources on the internet.  I'd recommend that as a better place to start.

Offline IslandGook

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 09:41:57 AM »
Thich Nhat Hanh is really accessible to the modern reader, and a prolific author.  He's at the top of the list that gradesofshey posted, but you can read some of the things from his practice online too, if you just want a little taste.  He's got some retreat centers (France, California and Vietnam, I think), and one of them is named Plum Village, thus the website name:

http://www.plumvillage.org/mindfulness-practice.html

You can also PM me if you want more resources, or maybe places to look for ebooks.  There's a lot of info out there. 

There's a great variety within Buddhism too (not unlike any other faith tradition that has millions of followers).  Depending on what you might be looking for, there's probably some sect that would appeal to you.  I'd say that Thich Nhat Hanh is largely spiritual and maybe even psychological in his approach, with a great emphasis on peace and mindfulness as largely secular concepts, apart from the divine concepts that are definitely present in Buddhism as a whole.  There are lessons you can take from him that have nothing at all to do with even believing in Buddha or Nirvana.  That's part of what makes him successful with a variety of readers. 

Offline steve2398132

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 10:03:09 AM »
Thank you all for the info, I'll start my search today!