November 19, 2017, 11:55:35 PM

Author Topic: ALERT for KOTESOL members: your private info is online!  (Read 1172 times)

Offline Freeto

• Expert Waygook
ALERT for KOTESOL members: your private info is online!
« on: December 12, 2011, 01:16:45 PM »
You can add this to the string of website and database difficulties KOTESOL has been experiencing the past few year.

Google yourself and you'll find the following info available online if you're a KOTESOL member:

Name
Phone number
Email
Mailing address

Click here for the email info for the council and webmaster. Email them if you did not approve for KOTESOL to make your personal info be available online.

President: Robert Capriles - rcapriles@gmail.com
Web Services Committee Chair: Bryan Stoakley - webmaster@kotesol.org
Tech Committee Chair: John Philips - techcomm@kotesol.org
Membership Committee Chair: Ralph Cousins - membership@kotesol.org

I'm sure members appreciate the hard work by all the KOTESOL volunteers but the organization's information technology section is very much a work-in-progress, to put it politely. The website is KOTESOL's face to the world yet it has many links that do not work. Signing up for the international conference was a nightmare for even current members who've had to enter their info into a disappearing database two or three times this year. And now we can add privacy issues on top of all that.

KOTESOL: Membership has its problems.
Save $5 on your first iHerb order under $40 by using coupon code VIS416, or save $10 if your first iHerb order is over $40!

Good for over 30,000 products including nutritional supplements, beauty items food and other health products. Cheap and fast shipping worldwide.

Offline menschmaschine

• Adventurer
Re: ALERT for KOTESOL members: your private info is online!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 02:04:12 PM »
I guess I lucked out and nothing happened to me.

Offline Freeto

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 09:26:31 AM »
Update: Enter a digit between 296 to 1199 after the following address to retrieve the information for random KOTESOL members.

http://www.kotesol.org/node/
Save $5 on your first iHerb order under $40 by using coupon code VIS416, or save $10 if your first iHerb order is over $40!

Good for over 30,000 products including nutritional supplements, beauty items food and other health products. Cheap and fast shipping worldwide.

Offline 제이

• Super Waygook
  • Just J
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 09:29:21 AM »
Their entire website appears amateurish for a professional organization, but this is a particularly heinous example. They should hire a professional web site manager already. Put those membership dues to good use.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 09:31:49 AM by 제이 »