September 25, 2017, 06:57:59 PM

Author Topic: What do you think about those heat and serve sauce packets (jajang, curry, etc.?  (Read 2570 times)

Offline Bump

• Veteran
So the other day I randomly decided to try one of those Ottogi sauce packets that come in a yellow box and have their own little section at the grocery store.  It was cheap, and it only takes like 3 minutes to heat up via boiling the packet.  Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised to find it tasted kind of amazing...just combined it with some veggies and then mixed it with some rice for a nice meal.  The only thing I'm worried about is...is it terrible for you?  Loaded with preservatives?  I know the sodium content is kind of high, but I'm curious if you guys think they're awful health offenders.  I've tried the JaJang and Curry packets thus far and both were really good.  Thoughts?

Offline sunrise

• Adventurer
  • Dare to be remarkable.
I love the hot curry packets ;D ! I've never tried the jajang ones, because I don't like jajang.

Here's a meal I usually prepare once a week: saute onions and garlic in some butter (or oil) in your rice cooker. Then add some small chunks of beef or chicken, salt, ground black pepper, other spices (if you've got any). Let the meat cook until almost done*. Then add some chopped up, bite-sized pieces of potatoes (sweet potatoes are delicious), carrots, and eggplant (if desired). Add about a cup of water (it will help to cook the potatoes and carrots. Next, add two big heaping spoons of flour to thinken the remaining water in the rice cooker*. Add other veggies if you like. The final step is to add 2-3 packets of the curry sauce*. Stir and mix very well. I also add about a cup of cooked** rice into the mixture (add more if there's enough room in the cooker). I find that the cooked rice picks up the flavors even more when added into the curry mixture.

*Means your rice cooker will signal that it's finish cooking. Wait 5-8 minutes, then press the "cook" button again.
**I cook the rice in the rice cooker a day ahead of time and put it in the refrigerator.
***I use the rice cooker, because leftovers will always be kept warm without risk of burning. Use the "warm" button for this function. In addition, I'll always have hot food waiting when I get home.  :D

I love using my rice cooker. I've made soups, spaghetti, ramyneon, and banana bread in it, too.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 08:46:24 PM by sunrise »
Put your future in good hands - your own.

Offline andyfoggy

• Super Waygook
So the other day I randomly decided to try one of those Ottogi sauce packets that come in a yellow box and have their own little section at the grocery store.  It was cheap, and it only takes like 3 minutes to heat up via boiling the packet.  Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised to find it tasted kind of amazing...just combined it with some veggies and then mixed it with some rice for a nice meal.  The only thing I'm worried about is...is it terrible for you?  Loaded with preservatives?  I know the sodium content is kind of high, but I'm curious if you guys think they're awful health offenders.  I've tried the JaJang and Curry packets thus far and both were really good.  Thoughts?

these kept me alive in my first year here!! :)

Offline alwaysgood

• Veteran
I always keep a few around for when I run out of good food or need to fill up on something quickly.  My favorite is to get the meatballs and add Sriracha.

Offline bebouchard

• Veteran
I've got nothing against the packets, but I like to get the Japanese curry packages. Each package contains two curry blocks, which, when heated and mixed with water, meat (or tofu) and veggies, makes a good 3-4 servings. I just think it has more flavor than the Korean variety, but that's just my personal preference.

Offline Rootleaf

• Adventurer
Not bad for the prices and sheer convenience. I usually mix it with fresh veggies as well to try to add a bit of nutritional value to my meals. Definitely not a bad choice for the pantry in the winter.

Offline Ack

• Explorer
I buy that and the microwave rice, not bad for making a meal in 4 mins!

Offline twak24

• Veteran
Nutrition-wise, they are rocking the foul-boat like it ain't no thang, buddy. Personally, I think that the ones in the yellow box are revolting (being a self-proclaimed jajang-connoisseur), but that ain't the issue. If you go to the refrigerated section, usually near the pre-prepared noodle and dduk meals, there are packets of sauces that have far less preservatives (hence, requiring refrigeration) and fresher ingredients. You can get stuff like AWESOME jajang, fresh tomato and basil pasta sauce, dduk-bokki sauce and carbonara sauce. They are about 1300 Won in my grocery store. I love them all. One packet can usually suffice for three packets of 300 Won Ramyeon. Mashita and ever-so-slightly healthier.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment