September 22, 2017, 01:31:30 PM

Author Topic: What am I supposed to be doing?  (Read 2601 times)

Offline reversengineer

• Explorer
What am I supposed to be doing?
« on: December 09, 2011, 01:59:34 PM »
I literally have hours upon hours of time here at my desk. There is only so much time that can be devoted to lesson planning. As all of my classes go exactly "by the book" and use the included CD-ROM, any supplemental activity I can reasonably add (like a game) is limited to about 10 minutes of class time. Also, I teach less than the maximum number of classes per week.

As I sit here, the coteachers in my office are hammering away at endless piles of paperwork. In the meantime, I spend hours on sites like Waygook. Should I feel guilty about this? Is there something I should be doing?

Offline profmiscreant

• Veteran
Re: What am I supposed to be doing?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 02:39:39 PM »
Reading is a great one. I've crossed off a lot of books from  my to-do list during work hours. In my first year here I took a TEFL course online, studied language on livemocha.com, and learned advanced powerpoint skills and applied them to making materials for my lessons. These days I read news, gossip, books, I do a sketch every afternoon, and I've written two novels for November novel writing month.

Your time is what you make of it.

Ochodnid

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 04:09:00 PM »
Let's say I desk warm 10 hours a week. . .

1 hour - Lesson planning from scratch.
1 hour - Studying various topics : History, culture, etc.
2 hours - Scanning Waygook for backup lesson plans or ideas.
1 hour - surfing the web
1 hour - Reading the news.
3 hours - Watching movies/tv shows, some pertain to things for classes.
30 minutes - napping
30 minutes - writing E-mails

Offline wantsomecoffee

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 04:25:18 PM »
you could help the teachers mark. or learn some (more) korean.  if neither of those appeal to you, you could just wander the halls.

Offline flasyb

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 05:12:32 PM »
you could help the teachers mark. or learn some (more) korean.  if neither of those appeal to you, you could just wander the halls.

I'd recommend learning some Korean, or at least making it look as if you're learning Korean (which is what I do). To that effect, I have decorated my wall with post-it notes of Korean vocabulary words categorised into types (household/bathroom/preposition particles/ etc). Every now and then I glance at them and I've found I'm remembering quite a bit more. It impresses the Korean teachers who walk into my office and makes me look good too. It's what's known as a "win win" in the "keeping your colleagues happy whilst for the most part doing next to nothing" game.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

We are not "guests" in Korea. Korea didn't invite us over for Pimms in the garden. We are paid employees.

Offline Row

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 08:21:49 PM »
well if it makes you feel better the korean teachers are probably spending a lot of time on sites like gmarket themselves, they just hide it better

Offline skull

• Explorer
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 09:17:35 PM »
Concentrate on personal developement as someone mentioned before, just don't ask your co-teacher for something to do and later on complain about when she gives you piles of student coursework to do.

I have been handed tons of student coursework over to me in my first week, which the previous native teacher neglected. I didn't ask for it neither did I complain about it as it keeps me busy enough on top of lesson planning and trying to create materials from scratch.

Just put that time to good use.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 07:16:52 PM by skull »

Offline merrypr4nkster

• Explorer
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 02:04:41 PM »
I play rollercoaster tycoon 2

Offline jaakked1

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 04:54:51 PM »
I plan for my return to real life after I finish this year in Korea.

Offline Cy&Leon

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 05:20:51 PM »
You could plan for 2 lessons worth of games and lesson plans/outline. I wouldn't really say you have nothing to do -because they will give you a lot to do... Like others said, I would do something for personal development or relax with other activities. Getting paid for a laid back day is awesome.  ;D

Offline erufiku

• Explorer
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 11:26:41 AM »
It's not deskwarming... It's Professional and Personal Development Time! You can read, study Korean, study a subject that interests you, gather info on grad. programs back home, facebook, learn Excel/Word/Powerpoint/Photoshop, edit and upload your photos, play games on your iphone, watch TED talks or other lectures, plan your vacation, do online shopping, etc. Some people even work out at a nearby gym when they have a long break between classes!

Offline bb

• Super Waygook
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 11:32:59 AM »
Study Korean! I completed two full textbooks over the course of a year of desk warming.
Option 2: Ask your Korean CT if they have anything that needs grading. I do a stack or two for myu boss each week and it seems very appreciated...

Offline rabel10

• Adventurer
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 12:31:19 PM »
I write a lot...read...TED. Things like that. I found that being alone for most of the week at my school not talking with other native speakers started to affect my English. That scared the crap out of me, and so I try to immerse myself in whatever I can to 'take a break' from the void of English that exists in my school.

Also, I play games with my students between periods. If I'm not working on something that's due in the next 20 minutes, I teach the kids word games, how to make paper airplanes, dancing, etc. Whatever they want to talk about, we talk about it. Building that relationship pays off when you're in class, as they respect you and don't want to disappoint you.

I feel ya though, sometimes I do have a ton of free time. It doesn't take all week to plan lessons.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment