November 19, 2017, 10:19:40 PM

Author Topic: Top Five Regrets of the Dying  (Read 2723 times)

Offline jaysoon17

• Expert Waygook
Top Five Regrets of the Dying
« on: December 06, 2011, 05:29:01 PM »
http://beyondtheopposites.com/?p=94

Do you have any regrets currently while living in Korea? Hope everybody here is living life. I think all this hibernating I'm doing is getting to me. Number 1 makes me think of my decision to return to Korea after 5 years away.

Offline bhwung

• Veteran
Re: Top Five Regrets of the Dying
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 06:07:49 PM »
This was super inspiring and educational.  Thanks for sharing!

hilarity ensues

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 07:43:29 PM »
It IS inspiring-- great article and great post for bringing it to everyone's attention!

I think I've done quite a few things that I will probably look back on and be happy about, but there are definitely some holes that need filling.
It's kind of nice to know that all of the need-to-succeed people don't have it figured out they seem so confident!

Offline cnicolaou2

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 02:41:01 PM »
Inspiring stuff. Thanks for posting it.

Offline Schellib39

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 03:12:42 PM »
Awesome reading! I will definitely pass this along to some family and friends.

Maybe a few of the teachers here at school as well...

Offline gookway

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 08:07:41 AM »
Yes, good article.  But these have been around for decades.  They usually say the same things
in each article and yet people always seem to be inspired or surprised by these answers even
though it has been told a million times over.

Be yourself, take risks (follow your dream/heart and not just paychecks), love your friends and family, speak out and be true to yourself, stay healthy.

None of these are profound.  We all know it, we all heard it, we are all told it everyday by our parents.  I love these kind of interviews because I think we never have the most truest and purest perspective on life as we do when we are near our last breath.

Look up articles on "secrets of centurions" or things like that...I've always wanted to just sit down and talked to the elderly and ask them about their lives and tell me their stories (regrets and joyous ones) and learn from their experiences and wisdom (or lack thereof).

There's no doubt health to me ranks #1.  We take it for granted and don't realize how just waking up in the morning feeling fine should be the greatest joy in your life.  The medical industry is the largest moneymaking industry in the world and will continue to be.   You better take care of yourself cuz the "system" won't....at least not until you are seriously ill and then they can profit big time money on you for treatment.   

Offline alwaysgood

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 12:34:30 PM »
I regret not being incredibly rich yet.
I regret not being more promiscuous.
I regret not choosing a more employable major in college.

Offline hiphopopotamus

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 01:09:26 PM »
This list is nice to *westerners* but certainly doesn't apply to all of humanity.

For example, the first maxim: "1. I wish Id had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me."  is a very western, open-minded, independent view of how life should be lived. This is nearly 100% opposite in Korean culture. Doesn't make it right or wrong, but is interesting how us westerners view this maxim as something to strive for and many Koreans would find it a negative way to live life.

hilarity ensues

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 01:25:37 PM »

Are you dying, turning 30, or just accepting the living death of being in Korea?

Offline Jrong

• The Legend
  • i love food
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 01:46:48 PM »
This list is nice to *westerners* but certainly doesn't apply to all of humanity.

For example, the first maxim: "1. I wish Id had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me."  is a very western, open-minded, independent view of how life should be lived. This is nearly 100% opposite in Korean culture. Doesn't make it right or wrong, but is interesting how us westerners view this maxim as something to strive for and many Koreans would find it a negative way to live life.
^Yeah, I agree.

I really like the list and it appeals to many parts of me (especially the activist part)...but the more I travel and the more "cultures" I take on, the less this list resonates with me -- instead I find myself building a list less centred on "the choices I make to change my circumstances" and more centred on "peace and acceptance of things outside of my power".
"When in doubt...ask Troglodyte" ~0mnslnd

Offline ch1can3

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 02:19:10 PM »
poor major in college is the more regrettable thing in my life, and always will be.  I'm damned to poverty for a single choice.

Offline alwaysgood

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 02:38:42 PM »

Are you dying, turning 30, or just accepting the living death of being in Korea?

Closer to 30 than 20...

Offline matieu

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 11:36:40 AM »
I always wondered what the Buddhist saying of dying before you die actually meant? I guess maybe it's saying you should let all of the illusory senses of self die such as image, status, wealth etc, only then can you be totally free to live your life in a way which will fulfill you and allow you to achieve your full potential. I think when people are faced with death they suddenly realise how unimportant, transitory and illusory these things which we create so much stress in trying to pursue really are.

Offline Peekay1982

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, 12:17:17 PM »
Top-five non-regrets of the dying:

1. Didn't use enough coasters

2. Didn't iron enough clothes before wearing them

3. Didn't take enough of an interest in celebrity gossip

4. Didn't spend long enough at the office

5. Didn't sweep and vacuum often enough

Offline makeshiftb0y

• Veteran