August 19, 2017, 08:07:49 PM

Author Topic: Investing your money, in Korea  (Read 38706 times)

Offline Davey

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • Hero of Waygookistan
Re: Investing your money, in Korea
« Reply #180 on: April 22, 2017, 02:34:45 AM »
E.g.,  sample 500,000 Canadian retail mutual fund investors consistently underperformed the market by an average 3% per year over the course of the last 15 years.

Right. And that is mathematically required...

The market participants are the market, so if the return of that market is 10%, the average return of a large group of investors is going to be somewhere under 10% because of trading costs, mutual fund fees, etc. The best a large sample like that could ever do would be 9%. We would need to see outlier stats.

Yes, so the point is that, active investing will generally not beat index investing over the long-run.  This obviously isn't the only study that shows this.

------------------------------------------
Search this site using Google by typing, "site:waygook.org [search term]," especially during peak hours. Alternatively, use the site's search function.

EPIK: VISA, RENEWING, PENSION, ETC:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2614.0.html

Offline Ptolemy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #181 on: April 22, 2017, 03:39:55 AM »
Yes, so the point is that, active investing will generally not beat index investing over the long-run. 

The market is the market, so the avg return will always be that of the market, but less due to fees. However there could be a huge number of outliers that beat the market, and who did so consistently...those stats don't actually tell us that part.

Offline Davey

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #182 on: April 22, 2017, 07:37:25 AM »
Yes, so the point is that, active investing will generally not beat index investing over the long-run. 

The market is the market, so the avg return will always be that of the market, but less due to fees. However there could be a huge number of outliers that beat the market, and who did so consistently...those stats don't actually tell us that part.

Right, right, but a huge number of outliers who consistently beat it? When you consistently, over what time horizon? Long-run like 10 years+? Not impossible, but extraordinarily difficult. If you've done it , kudos to you, and I mean that seriously.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 10:09:38 AM by Davey »
------------------------------------------
Search this site using Google by typing, "site:waygook.org [search term]," especially during peak hours. Alternatively, use the site's search function.

EPIK: VISA, RENEWING, PENSION, ETC:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2614.0.html

Offline macteacher

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #183 on: May 31, 2017, 12:49:53 PM »

thinking about starting to invest. anyone have experience sending money out of the country? it seems weird that korea has a 50k limit on remitting money out.

Offline iamsam

• Veteran
« Reply #184 on: May 31, 2017, 01:17:56 PM »

thinking about starting to invest. anyone have experience sending money out of the country? it seems weird that korea has a 50k limit on remitting money out.

50K a day? A year?  What is the timeline there?

Offline chelinostatrabajando

• Veteran
« Reply #185 on: May 31, 2017, 01:24:43 PM »

[Edit to delete inaccurate information, see Life's post below]

On a side note, Ethereum up ~2,100% since the beginning of the year, Bitcoin up more than ~150%.  Come to the crpytoside and taste our massive gains...
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 02:26:05 PM by chelinostatrabajando »

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #186 on: May 31, 2017, 01:32:21 PM »

I don't think the limit is 50,000 USD a year. I think there is a limit of 50,000USD a year that can be remitted without some other kind of reporting or tax or something... My bank also told me it was possible to send more than 50,000USD, but there were some other things that needed to be done. Maybe this will help some, if not, a few Google searches will.

http://www.korea4expats.com/article-FX-overseas-banking-Korea.html

Offline gogators!

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #187 on: May 31, 2017, 01:55:48 PM »

There are not a "huge number" of outliers. That's a very misleading statement.

FREE TIBET!!!!

Offline teacher1988

• Veteran
« Reply #188 on: May 31, 2017, 02:40:45 PM »

I'm assuming you will be sending money out to a different currency. From my experience, Shinhan offers the best prices for forex. Most banks charge about 1% spread, but Shinhan gives 50%, 60%, and 70% discount on the spread (read: 0.5%, 0.4%, 0.3% spread respectively) depending on how many times you remit per year. It starts at 0.5% spread, so why not? If you do the math it starts to pay off if you remit more than 2.5M compared to places like KB.

The 50k limit is only if you make under 50k/yr. If you make more than that, you can remit to whatever your income is per year.

If you are remitting more than 50k per year but make less than that, you need to prove that you earned and saved that money legally over the years and they will remit it for you.

Offline macteacher

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #189 on: May 31, 2017, 04:08:36 PM »

I'm assuming you will be sending money out to a different currency. From my experience, Shinhan offers the best prices for forex. Most banks charge about 1% spread, but Shinhan gives 50%, 60%, and 70% discount on the spread (read: 0.5%, 0.4%, 0.3% spread respectively) depending on how many times you remit per year. It starts at 0.5% spread, so why not? If you do the math it starts to pay off if you remit more than 2.5M compared to places like KB.

The 50k limit is only if you make under 50k/yr. If you make more than that, you can remit to whatever your income is per year.

If you are remitting more than 50k per year but make less than that, you need to prove that you earned and saved that money legally over the years and they will remit it for you.

hmm yeah i guess i was curious what happens if you make investments that pay off in korea outside of your normal job. i guess that you prove where the money came from to the bank

Offline teacher1988

• Veteran
« Reply #190 on: May 31, 2017, 05:28:22 PM »
Yes. AFAIK, they will raise the limit for you if you can prove it.

Offline Ptolemy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #191 on: June 20, 2017, 10:56:12 AM »

You don't know how to read English.

Offline gogators!

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #192 on: June 20, 2017, 12:04:20 PM »

You don't know how to read English.
Sure I do.

FREE TIBET!!!!

Recent Lesson Plans

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment