November 18, 2017, 08:09:01 PM

Author Topic: Superhero Camp  (Read 106413 times)

Offline amycock

• Veteran
Superhero Camp
« on: July 06, 2010, 01:23:18 PM »
You could do super heroes? I think most grades would enjoy this. You can have simple ppt showing them superheroes, show clips, talk about designing your own super hero- what they can do, can't do, special powers, drawing, you can do games, roleplays and then even watch movies and discuss them and have worksheets etc.... They could even make their own super hero chat.

Heres a few things i've got together for this theme, I have 2 camps to do but i think im gonna use this one for supplementary classes as i've planned the camps already.

This is a good site for the younger activities, if you search super heroes, they also have older activities and a video about super hero high!

http://britishcouncil.org/learnenglish
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 02:43:55 PM by complex303 »

Offline amycock

• Veteran
Re: Re: Summer Camp ideas?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 01:33:56 PM »
and more...

Offline lkvorders

• Waygookin
Superhero Lesson plan
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 01:21:54 PM »
Hi everyone,

One day of summer camp for my 5th and 6th graders I am going to do a superhero day! I am going to have them create a superhero, make a story about their superhero and such. Just wondering if anyone has any game ideas for this topic? Please let me know!

Thanks,
Lindsey

Offline geraldineg

• Adventurer
Re: Superhero Lesson plan
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 01:30:34 PM »
I'm doing one lesson on this topic and have opted for the following games...
* Guess that superhero. NT gives ss clues about the superhero and ss guess or  NT reveals parts of the hero and ss guess.
* Hero cut outs. Ss have strips of a superhero and need to move around the room finding all of the parts of their hero.
* Charades type game where ss act out super hero actions and their team members guess...

Just some ideas. :D

Offline sonya

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 01:48:16 PM »
This site has a fabulous super hero creator.

http://marvel.com/create_your_own_superhero

Sonya

Offline danerdman1234

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 03:14:13 PM »
Can't remember where I found this (maybe here on waygook), but it's a good intro to the superheros theme.  Just take a picture of one of your students and insert -- the site does the rest for the video.

http://www.tackfilm2.se/

Offline miss piggy

• Newgookin
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 07:51:06 AM »
if you have access to PC's for S/Camp, found these websites where students can design their superhero and create a hero profile for themselves
http://cpbherofactory.com
http://www.thesuperheroquiz.com/ - they can 'discover' which superhero they are

Offline miss piggy

• Newgookin
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 07:53:49 AM »
http://www.voki.com/ - if you're looking to create avatars with students - ideas and some links to other sites.

Offline Ryan

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 09:25:59 AM »
I'm doing superheros for 2 days of camp.  First day intro and have students create their own superhero - poster etc.  Next day, each group will create own superhero skit with hero, villan etc. and perform it for prizes.

Offline numberonegood

• Adventurer
Superhero Choose Your Own Adventure
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 12:21:33 PM »
Hey! My students have loved the choose your own adventure games I have found on this site (A knock at the door, Exploding Dog) so I decided to make my own.  I have winter camp coming up and I'm doing a superhero theme so I've made a superhero choose your own adventure.

There is a very brief introduction to using the phrase "You should..." which will be used throughout the game.  When I play this game I will also review all of the other phrases and vocab we have already learned.

I won't be using this game for another couple weeks, so if you try it please let me know how it goes.   Do any of the story lines get neglected or are used too often?  Do any of them confuse the kids? etc.

If anyone else has cool superhero stuff I'd love to see it, then I can share more of the stuff I've made also.

EDIT There were a couple linking errors in the original powerpoint.  I've fixed those and re uploaded so you can use the powerpoint attached to this post now.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 12:44:19 PM by numberonegood »

Offline numberonegood

• Adventurer
Re: Superhero Choose Your Own Adventure
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 12:48:57 PM »
I should also point out that this lesson and game will most likely not take up a full period.  It will probably only take 20-30 minutes, depending on how into the game the students get.

Offline dizzl

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 09:49:43 AM »
So I am doing superheroes for my 2nd winter camp and am going to make it last 3 days.
Problem is I love superhero movies but can't remember now that I have to all the most famous ones!  :blank:
Typical
So here is my list can you please add any you can think of and if ANYONE knows the name of the group that is being formed by Tony Stark (you know Batman, the Hulk, Hellboy etc) please tell me because I cannot for the life of me remember but am sooooooooo looking forward to the movie!!

Any help would be awesome. And will post my lesson idea's when it's more "concrete"!

Offline msqueen888

• Adventurer
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 10:44:22 AM »
Just finished a 2 day superhero camp.  I don't have all the files for the games bc my coteach isn't here but here is what we did.  we had 4 classes a day.  the 1st class on first day was introduction so no lesson for that class. 
Day 1
1.   Camp Intro
2.  Superheroes (intro) & Who's your favorite superhero worksheet
3.  Guess the Superhero/What superhero am I? worksheet
Don't have the file, but PPT where S's get clues like  he can fly he is fast he ----.  They have to guess which hero is is.
Then they did what superhero am i?  worksheet and got class to guess who.

4.  Making a superhero ( we used styrofoam balls (body), pipe cleaner (arms) , cellophane (cape) then the kids decorated with markers)

Day2
1.  Superhero Clothing and Accessories  (dont have this ppt, but taught students cape, mask, tights, symbol, boots, shield,ect) 
pass the ball game:  1st) as a class to review what they had just learned 2nd) split the class into 2 teams with two  balls and wrote the vocab on the board turned off the cpu screen.  When the music stopped I would say a random word and the students had to run and slap the word. (first team to slap gets a point)  3rd) erased the board and when music stopped I would say a word and 1 from each team would race to see who could spell it on the board.

2. Watched The Incredibles

3.  Making a mask and Cape.
http://familycrafts.about.com/cs/costumeacces/a/blsuphero.htm
CT actually got someone to sew pillowcases, but just plain white material would work fine.  Used markers instead of paint.

4.  who's the best superhero game:
Rock.Scissors.Paper battle game:  there were levels of power:  walk, run, jump, climb, fly, shoot fire, disappear, control minds.  PPT:  powers vocab, explained levels. 
We wrote the levels on the WB and made up actions for each one. 
Game starts:  S's all start at "walk" level.  Go around saying I can walk, I can walk repeatedly.  Then the meet someone who also has the same "power" as them and they play R/S/P.  Winner moves up to next level loser stays at same level.  If a student makes it to the highest level "mind control"  they have to R/S/P with the teacher.  If they win they are the best superhero in the class.
We played this a few times. S's liked it.  We also played a version where if the student lost to the teacher all S's went back to walk and had to restart.

Offline dizzl

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 11:00:52 AM »
You are amazing thanks for posting can use some of your idea's to bulk up my lessons!! I have the low level class so lots of drawing will be the order of the day I think

Offline wajowens

• Veteran
Design-a-superhero lesson
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2011, 11:25:24 PM »
a 40-minute lesson where students design their own superhero, and hopefully learn something!
Everything is in the zip file, ppts and the lesson structure - you just need paper to give them. There's one version for lower-level (grade 3/4) and one for higher-level (grade5/6).

Offline DevilMogun

• Super Waygook
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2011, 07:52:19 AM »
Thanks for putting the effort in.  I've just incorporated into my lesson on 'you'd better....'.  I know how much work goes into Choose Your Own Adventures so I just wanted to say 'appreciated'.
"She lacks the indefinable charm of weakness" Oscar Wilde

Offline jcscraps

• Explorer
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2011, 01:51:37 PM »
This is so awesome. Best ppt ever. The kids will love it. Thanks a million!

Offline infogoddess

• Featured Contributor
  • Super Waygook
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2011, 03:18:44 PM »
We are teaching Superheroes for a day-long English "camp".  Each week we get one class from a local Elementary or Middle School and we have to teach them something - it's usually three sets of vocabulary and some kind of game.  We have based this very loosely on the MES-English Project which you can read about here
http://youtubeunblocker.co.uk/go.php?a=f95f0cb325dBv8inzcdYaclMv1lLKE5qzM1YaOvrv9crUWfL255Mv9znTAlMJLhL3Iw&b=3

we also use his Eigoman game and they work well together.  Basically we are teaching superpowers/verbs, adjectives, and clothing.  Then the students create and introduce their own superheroes.

This could be used for a winter camp or stretched out over a semester if you are into Project Based Learning.  Hope it helps.
"The Bhagavad Gita - that ancient Indian Yogic text - says that it is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of somebody else's life with perfection. So now I have started living my own life." Elizabeth Gilbert

Offline SBracken

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2011, 03:32:25 PM »
So I am doing superheroes for my 2nd winter camp and am going to make it last 3 days.
Problem is I love superhero movies but can't remember now that I have to all the most famous ones!  :blank:
Typical
So here is my list can you please add any you can think of and if ANYONE knows the name of the group that is being formed by Tony Stark (you know Batman, the Hulk, Hellboy etc) please tell me because I cannot for the life of me remember but am sooooooooo looking forward to the movie!!

Any help would be awesome. And will post my lesson idea's when it's more "concrete"!

I realize this is far dated compared to the posting date here, but were you thinking of the Avengers? Also, Tony Stark (Ironman) and the Hulk are a part of Marvel Universe (Marvel -> Xmen, Spiderman, Ironman, the Hulk, Capt. America, Fantastic Four, etc. acquired by Disney in '09). Batman belongs to the DC Universe and is a part of the Justice League (DC -> Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, the Green Lantern, etc.). Hellboy is published by Dark Horse comics. Sorry... I'm a comic geek.......

But anyways, I was planning on doing a superhero lesson someday for my students and these are some GREAT starting points, thanks waygook guys and girls! XD

Offline infogoddess

• Featured Contributor
  • Super Waygook
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2011, 03:20:24 PM »
here are some useful clips

Real Life Superhero Project

Real Life Superheroes in Seattle

Real Life Superheroes in New York

Superhero Granny in the UK

hope this helps

"The Bhagavad Gita - that ancient Indian Yogic text - says that it is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of somebody else's life with perfection. So now I have started living my own life." Elizabeth Gilbert