November 22, 2017, 08:49:57 PM

Author Topic: UK embassy in seoul  (Read 1192 times)

Offline Shinsegae

• Veteran
UK embassy in seoul
« on: June 22, 2011, 09:53:55 AM »
Hey y'all
I've tried ringing the UK embassy in Seoul the past few days now and i was surprised to find that the woman i keep speaking to on the phone isn't english. I'm having some trouble understanding her as she speaks  too quickly and has a Korean accent.
One of the options was to enter a specific extension number if you knew which member of staff you wanted to speak to, so my question is; how can i speak to someone English at the English embassy without having to tell the Korean lady i cant understand her...? anyone got an extension number?

tyvm ;D
내가제일잘나가

Offline Jozigirl

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: UK embassy in seoul
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 10:16:12 AM »
Tell her the line is bad so she needs to speak slower and more clearly.  I haven't had a problem understanding her.  Unfortunately, she's on the main switchboard so you'll have to speak to her or try a random extension number.

Offline smileseoul

• Adventurer
  • Love life!
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 11:29:18 AM »
I have been in contact with the Embassy - just say you need to speak to a Native English speaker and that the call is urgent.

It is the same when dealing with Koreans - just get to the point - you want an English speaker.

I used to work in the hospitals back at home - non English speakers were very to the point if they wanted someone speaking Urdu, Punjabi, Chinese or Arabic. You say it firmly. I want Arabic speaker or I want English speaker.

It is not rude or offensive, you just dont have ages to spend on a phone call - getting over one barrier - just jump it by saying what you want.

Offline calioril

• Explorer
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 01:39:22 PM »
Just tell her you don't understand or ask a really complicated question they usually place you on hold and then put you through to the next stage.

If that doesn't work try an email or use skype and contact the FCO www.fco.gov.uk back home they can help as well.

Offline Shinsegae

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 02:22:18 PM »
just spoke again and was better this time/different korean woman. anyway i asked them to call me back and left my name and number. hopefully that should do the trick.

if not im going to demand an english speaker like you advised  8)
내가제일잘나가