December 11, 2017, 11:50:51 AM

Author Topic: Keeping students busy during speaking tests  (Read 1931 times)

Offline Mountiandrue

• Adventurer
Keeping students busy during speaking tests
« on: June 20, 2011, 10:00:35 AM »
So I'm finishing up speaking tests with my low-level high school students this week and I am having a hard time thinking of something to do to occupy them for the hour. Am looking for something that is easy, but more constructive than throwing in a movie. Suggestions?

Offline Lexington

• Adventurer
Re: Keeping students busy during speaking tests
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 10:10:31 AM »
I'm assuming they have exams coming up soon?  You could play a review game of everything you've covered since the last tests?  Like a Bomb game, or Typhoon?

Or do you mean something for them to do while you're doing the speaking tests?  Because you could give them word searches, cross words, and other paper-based activities.

Offline leshotpants

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 12:27:11 PM »
Try this "gimme 5" worksheet.

Offline khoidaman

• Explorer
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 12:49:17 PM »
Well how about bringing them to the front of the class and having them say anything in English.  It's not really that stressful because they would have freedom to say anything that comes to mind and it allows the students to feel more comfortable with using the language as a tool for communication.

Offline Mountiandrue

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 12:58:08 PM »
Hey that "gimme 5" worksheet is a great idea!

Offline Rowanteacher

• Featured Contributor
  • Veteran
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 01:00:44 PM »
Dude, just show them a movie! It's the only way they'll be quite enough for you to hear the ones you're testing. It wasn't as common as it seems to be over here but now and again, i.e. at the end of term, we got to watch a movie at school, it didn't destroy our education and it won't destroy theirs. Plus if they really like it, it will be a a good incentive to learn more English so they can understand better, it will show them that English can be fun!

Offline jks

• Explorer
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 01:01:40 PM »
thanks, speaking tests this week!

Offline c_makitalo

• Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 01:25:08 PM »
Hey, I did english crosswords that I had saved up from my lunch time pop music class but it is super easy to print off Simpsons and Animals and everything word searches.  It kept them at an acceptable noise level while I finished off the dreaded speaking test.

Offline KathyForeigner

• Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 05:23:08 PM »
The movie idea is good. Or give them a bunch of English books from the school library (if it has any).
The gimme 5 thing is great! Or a similar idea would be a photo-scavenger hunt thing using their cameras.