December 12, 2017, 06:39:36 AM

Author Topic: ESL schools in USA.  (Read 1987 times)

Offline mmarion

• Waygookin
ESL schools in USA.
« on: June 20, 2011, 09:53:09 AM »
Hello! I have a bright student who wants me to help her choose a city in the US to learn English. I have only lived in one state in the US and havent traveled much...could anyone of you make some kinds of recommendations that would be a great place for a Korean Middle School student??!

Thank you! I hope this isnt a silly topic!

jdb1983

Re: Where is the best place in the US to learn english??
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 09:57:44 AM »
San Francisco and Honolulu have lots of schools but each place is a bit expensive. The weather is nice though.

Offline rachelshaeh

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 10:08:42 AM »
I would just warn her that if she goes to cities with large Korean populations, such as San Francisco or Washington D.C., it may be very easy for her to never speak English (for example, a Korean who worked in America for years said she didn't need to ever use English when she lived in D.C.)

Offline SteveP

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 10:15:19 AM »
As a middle school student, Korean communities might ease the culture shock-- a city along the west coast, east Texas, and the NYC area from what I know-- but it won't be as rigorous.

If she's bolder (or when she's older), smaller cities or even towns would push her language learning faster-- I was thinking something in the Midwest- cheaper and still no difficult accents for her. I love Boston and what I've visited in the "South," but I fear some accents would cause unnecessary frustration.

North of the border, I hear Vancouver mentioned often as a popular Korean study destination.

Good luck to her!

Offline eveliens

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 10:21:00 AM »
My first thought was the midwest for the reasons mentioned above. Cheaper and no heavy accents. Also, my college had a lot of exchange students and almost all of the ones I spoke to had been PETRIFIED that they were going to get shot and die in America (LOL)... the midwest might seem a bit safer than a coastal city? Also, it is flat, so a bit of geographical change.

Kansas city area actually has a sizeable Korean population for some reason. Lots of resturants, shops, and churches.

Otherwise, yes, NYC or Texas if she doesn't mind accents.

Offline mmarion

• Waygookin
ESL schools in USA.
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 09:59:24 AM »
Hello! can anyone recommend some great ESL type schools or schools for korean students in the US. My school wants me to make a list..but I have no idea where to start..and Google can be overwhelming!

Thank u!

Offline embesen

• Waygookin
Re: ESL schools in USA.
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 10:04:16 AM »
this should help:

http://www.aaiep.org/

International students who want to study English in the USA will find a great variety of quality English language programs in the American Association of Intensive English Programs (AAIEP). Nearly 300 AAIEP members offer intensive English language programs located in university and college settings or city centers across the USA. The English language programs offered by AAIEP members are of the highest quality since all member programs are accredited by ACCET, CEA, or operate under the governance of regionally accredited colleges or universities. For English in the USA, an AAIEP language program is the way to go.

Offline hildydoo

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 10:21:48 AM »
I used to work for the Wisconsin ESL Institute (WESLI - https://www.wesli.com/wesli.html), and we had a few Koreans. It was a great place to work, and I really liked their curriculum. This is an adults-only school (High school students were ok), so if you're looking for kids, then you're out of luck.

Offline peasgoodnonsuch

• Featured Contributor
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 11:02:09 AM »
I second the Midwest, although I've only been out to Kansas City once (by the way, the reason why the Korean population is so high is because the International House of Prayer there has a Korean language ministry program). It seems like people out there are calmer perhaps have lower crime rates.

I'm from the Northeast and have traveled around the East coast. It's definitely more of a hustle and bustle on our side of the country, and that also means a higher chance of confusion and danger.

Of course Philly and New York have large Korean populations, but they aren't all that safe. Boston's not too bad, but it's still a city with its dangers.

My own little area of Western Massachusetts might be ok. It actually has a small, but present Korean population, and a high international population in general. We have a lot of colleges and universities (Amherst, Smith, Mount Holyoke, UMass, Hampshire) that add to the international mix-at least when school is in session-and out of that I'd say the majority are East Asians. As long as she stays far away from Springfield, it's also a relatively safe area, too.

Is she going on exchange alone, or is her family moving with her?

Offline carlita

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 11:03:52 AM »
San Francisco....the best of cities and weather...and plenty of schools.....lots of foreign students there

Offline eveliens

• Super Waygook
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 11:45:03 AM »
(by the way, the reason why the Korean population is so high is because the International House of Prayer there has a Korean language ministry program).

Well that makes more sense :) I lived on the other side of town, so I just knew it was there and not why.

dragonslyght

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 12:50:47 PM »
It might sound crazy, but Anchorage, Alaska, has a huge population of Koreans there. The univeristy has a ESL program for exchange students, and the Korean Councilate has a Korean diveristy festival every June.

The draw back is the cold weather for 7 months out of the year. Yes...sigh - Alaska has a summer, and a fall, and a almost spring - (more like melting on speed for a month) but anyway -
depends on where they want to go :) Good luck. :) 

Offline dancesonhertoes

• Adventurer
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 02:15:40 PM »
Chicago is great for having a good Korean population but still needing to use English.  I'm not sure about those specific programs but it's worth looking into.  I know the city itself sounds a little scary (people seem to really be scared of Chicago) but its fine as long as you know which areas to go to and which ones not to.  But the Korean population spreads pretty far into the northwest suburbs - and those are REALLY nice. I know there's lots of Koreans in Elgin, Barrington, Shamburg, and Arlington Heights.  They should check out that area.