December 17, 2017, 02:43:30 AM

Author Topic: How many hours of English lessons should I give before wanting to be paid?  (Read 1089 times)

Offline homestaykorea

• Newgookin
I'm doing a homestay and have been giving free English lessons.  I don't mind helping a bit with English but I feel like I'm helping too much with English.  How many hours is it reasonable to give for free before wanting to get paid or a discount on my homestay fee? Their English is very basic so it is pretty tedious helping them, ie they're not able to hold a conversation in English. It is always a question about this, another question about that, helping them with some written English, very boring stuff, etc. 

Offline justanotherwaygook

• Featured Contributor
  • The Legend
What are the details of your visa/housing/employment?  Are you just a visitor from another country on a tourist visa (or similar).  If you are, you can't work for pay.
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

Offline homestaykorea

• Newgookin
I am on a student visa.  Since the host family is asking for help with English everyday I feel I should get a discount on my housing fee. I don't want to get paid but I don't want to teach English for free either.   How many hours is it reasonable to give for free before wanting a discount on my housing?

Offline justanotherwaygook

• Featured Contributor
  • The Legend
I would start asking immediately, as long as you have your work permit in order (an S-3, I believe).
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

Offline Sara

• Featured Contributor
  • Expert Waygook
I don't have any experience with this particular situation, but I have wondered about this when teaching extra classes here and there. Some weeks we have special events (I work at an English Town/elementary school combo) so I end up teaching anywhere between 1 and 7 hours over my contract. Still, this only happens every month or two so I don't ask for extra pay. I did, however, end up asking for overtime pay when they added another regularly scheduled class.

Are they simply asking you for help here or there, or are they saying "Can we sit down between 6 and 7 everyday and work on English?" I draw the line at a class (or lesson, in your case) becoming a regular and scheduled occurrence.

On a side note, I know there are many different home stay situations, but for a friend's program they don't allow the NETs to tutor the family. If you're feeling uncomfortable, it may be better to ask your supervisor to step in than to ask for money and risk messing up your relationship with the family. Best of luck.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 09:39:27 PM by Sara Teacher »