October 20, 2017, 01:37:13 AM

Author Topic: A little down, a little up, a lotta confused.  (Read 4688 times)

Offline ch1can3

• Veteran
A little down, a little up, a lotta confused.
« on: June 08, 2011, 02:36:04 PM »
I made a previous topic about looking into going back home and studying something new when my contract was finished (or after 6 months).  After I made that topic and read the responses, I felt pretty good.  I felt like I had a plan, I was going home to study Engineering or Accounting, Nursing or some other vocational skill that could help me find a more fulfilling career (no offense to you guys who love teaching!).  Now, however, everything seems to be out of whack.  I've started seriously thinking about these things and I've almost become sort of..paralyzed.  I'm terribly afraid, really.  I have this (hopefully) year in Korea, but I know that for non-teaching jobs this kind of work isn't really that beneficial to have on a resume.  I'd have to go back to university for a second bachelors, which means little to no financial aid, though I could considerable lessen that burden through community college.  The big hurdle and fear is not being accepted, both literally and figuratively.  Many colleges do not take second degree bachelor students, and I doubt an employer would like to see two B degrees, even if they are complete 180's from one another.  Also, I'll be 23 going in, and nearly 27 coming out.  I feel terribly old, like I should already have had my own house.

I'm terribly regretful of the choices I've made in my education (political science/mandarin Chinese), and I want to correct that.  I'm just really, really afraid I won't be given a chance, and that I have to keep teaching abroad or go home to a slave job, neither of which are very appealing to me to be completely honest.  Has anyone found themselves in a similar situation?

I could really, really use some practical advice here.

TLDR; <1 year teacher wants more vocational career/retraining.  Will take 2-4 years, feels old and not sure if it's even possible, financially or just getting accepted to schools for a second bachelors or an associates (nursing).

Offline kmbette

• Adventurer
Re: A little down, a little up, a lotta confused.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 02:46:48 PM »
You are your biggest obstacle here. Going back for a 2nd bachelor's might not be ideal, but you're building for a better future. Do your research. Find a reputable program so that even if you can't get a lot of financial aid, you'll be set to get a job once you graduate and start paying off those loans.

As far as your future resume, spin the Korea experience so that it will be a good thing. For example, while the teaching might not be relevant, cross-cultural competency is a skill that will benefit you in many fields (nursing, for example).

Bes of luck to you.

Offline Darkscholar

• Explorer
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 02:46:58 PM »
I am sure a lot of first year teachers are in the same situation as you. If you decide that teaching is not the thing for you and are determine to go for another degree, i say go for it with all your might, age doesn't matter in college, can't be afraid before you even attempted.

Offline strawberry

• Expert Waygook
  • Strawberries of Wrath
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 02:49:31 PM »
I might not be able to give you something to physically go and do but there is one thing I want to say.  Just do it.  You're NEVER too old to learn, you'll NEVER be too old to try and do something with your life that is fulfilling for you and the time wasn't yesterday, the time is now.  Your previous B degree is not the be all and end all.  If you want to do something new, do it.  The only person stopping you is yourself. :)  I can understand that it's scary, but it's like bungee jumping... close your eyes and just jump because after you **** your pants, that rope will pull you back and it might just be the most thrilling thing you've ever done.  Don't let anyone tell you it's too late to make a career change.  Besides, if some employer ever asks about why you have two degrees, it shows that you now know what you want. And that despite everything you went for it. You didn't let the fact that you already have a degree force you to do some job that you don't want to do.  Getting the degree that you WANT means that you'll end up doing what you want with your life and a happy you will mean a happy boss. That sounds silly, but I'm serious.  If you don't go after what you want, you might be stuck in a boring job in 10 years, still wishing that you DID do that second degree.  And 23 is NOT too old!!!!! :)  Do it! do it!!!!  ;D

Offline taeyang

• Moderator - LVL 4
  • Waygook Lord
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 02:53:21 PM »
23 isn't old. it shouldn't be, because that's how old i am!!!

who's to say what's right, and when the right time to do something is. does anyone really know what they want to do? just be happy... that's what life is all about.

i sound like a hippie!!! haha. but seriously, i'm in the same boat. i feel trapped and stuck. i have one degree to pay for (film studies - ugh), and i have no desire to use it. i love my life here, but i will have to move on eventually.

just take everything as it comes and don't sweat it... it's not really worth it. good luck!
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

Offline teach1

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 02:55:23 PM »
As my mom always says, you'll be 27 anyway. Why not be 27 with another degree?

Offline SpaceRook

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 02:57:52 PM »
I doubt an employer would like to see two B degrees, even if they are complete 180's from one another.

There is no law that says you have to list all your degrees on your resume. 

Offline LoloRising

• Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 03:13:08 PM »
you really have to let go of those 'should' feelings my friend! (you should have a house/career/family or whatever by age 27... I'd also stop worrying too much about going into a bachelors program at 23. I was 22 went I did my first BA, but you can do it in three years by taking spring and summer classes if you're that concerned about time and age numbers.

Gotta tell you, it doesn't even really seem like you're all that ready! You say you may study engineering, or accounting, or nursing...not even fields all that related apart from the math/science aspect.

I'd say think a little harder and take more time deciding so you don't have another mental crisis at age 28 when you're applying for your third bachelor's degree.

Offline Spongeblob

• Super Waygook
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 03:15:36 PM »
At 23 you have a ton of time to play with.  Go back to school for whatever you want just don't burn yourself with an unbearable future debt.

Teaching in Korea will always be available to you.

Your Bachelor may give you some advanced standing in your next choice of course depending on where you are heading and the educational institution you pursue.

Sounds like you need to pick a direction.  I know the Nursing option is probably a good bet.

Good luck.  Hope this helps.

P.S.  I did it at a much later age and it worked out great.  Now I have twice the career options.

Offline megaFREEdom

• Waygookin
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 03:22:02 PM »
A future employer might think that you're 'over-qualified' but thats about the worst that can happen. One of my professors at Uni had something stupid like 13 degrees. Just a real interest in studying I guess. I'm 26 now and I'm STILL toying with the idea of trying to get into medical school - and after finishing here and doing all the pre and post med courses/ practicals, I'd only be a Dr in 10 years.. You're NEVER too old to learn or grow. Go for gold and believe in yourself. Besides continual studying can only be good for you as it keeps those synapses firing!  :D

Offline displayname

• Adventurer
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 03:24:45 PM »

best advice ever.

one of the lines is "the race is long and its only with yourself"

and

"the most interesting people i know didn't know what they wanted to do when they were 22. some of the most interesting 40 year olds i know still dont know."

Offline Gunpo_Erin

• Super Waygook
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 03:27:12 PM »
Go for it!

I am 33 and going back to my BEd!   I already have my BA and my MA!  It'll be my third!

You are never too old!  Gotta do what you love and what works for you!  There is no cookie cutter option that works for everyone!

These days we change our paths.....  if an employer doesn't hire you because you have two degrees or more than screw them! 

Offline Jozigirl

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 03:28:54 PM »
I have several friends with more than one degree (in different fields) and it's never been looked upon as a negative by employers.  One of my co-teachers here even re-trained at the age of 31 - he's only been teaching for three years and is now 36.  I was 25 when I started my LLB (after finishing a 4 year language degree) and I'm currently looking at enrolling for a speech therapy degree.  Education is never a bad thing.

Offline dmhr25

• Super Waygook
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 03:33:11 PM »

So, you're 23?  If you go back for a second Bachelor's degree, at most you'll be done in 4 years - and you'll be 27.  If you don't go back for a second Bachelor's degree - in 4 years, you'll still be 27, but without the tools to have a job you want or like.

Offline rachelshaeh

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2011, 03:45:36 PM »
don't freak out about your age! life is just life, and you roll along and go with the flow and just LIVE IT no matter what your age is.

please don't tie yourself into a timeline, like "ok so at 26 i'll walk down the aisle, and then at 29 i'll have a kid and a car paid off, and then at 55 i'll be a grandmother," etc. etc.--see how crazy that is!  you can't plan for every little thing in life, you can just do what you want to do at the moment you're in, and then look back after every new year or five years or whatever and be amazed at how far you've come!

and don't ever think you're just "wasting your time."  as long as you're constantly developing, nothing's wasted.  That could be pursuing a specific degree, or just getting a job working for an organization you believe in and doing work you can be passionate about.  you're interested in a medical degree? look into working in the administration of a hospital, get some contact with doctors/nurses, learn first-hand if it's something you want long-ish term.  or find a cool NGO/non-profit with overseas offices and medical missions and whatnot.

Or do something totally random, meet people you thought you'd never meet, learn about their experiences...whatever!

Point is, whatever you do, just make sure you're enjoying it, and you've got good friends around you.  All the other timeline stuff is pointless to worry about, because at the end of the day, we don't have that much control over how quickly time moves!  So don't wish it away, just enjoy the spot you're in, and make sure you're challenging yourself.

Sorry if it's a little "preachy" or whatnot, but I've gone through a TON of the worried-about-timeline stuff, so I really want to encourage you to not worry about!  It's just unnecessary worry and distracts you from enjoying life. :)

Ollie84

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2011, 03:48:10 PM »
I made a previous topic about looking into going back home and studying something new when my contract was finished (or after 6 months).  After I made that topic and read the responses, I felt pretty good.  I felt like I had a plan, I was going home to study Engineering or Accounting, Nursing or some other vocational skill that could help me find a more fulfilling career (no offense to you guys who love teaching!).  Now, however, everything seems to be out of whack.  I've started seriously thinking about these things and I've almost become sort of..paralyzed.  I'm terribly afraid, really.  I have this (hopefully) year in Korea, but I know that for non-teaching jobs this kind of work isn't really that beneficial to have on a resume.  I'd have to go back to university for a second bachelors, which means little to no financial aid, though I could considerable lessen that burden through community college.  The big hurdle and fear is not being accepted, both literally and figuratively.  Many colleges do not take second degree bachelor students, and I doubt an employer would like to see two B degrees, even if they are complete 180's from one another.  Also, I'll be 23 going in, and nearly 27 coming out.  I feel terribly old, like I should already have had my own house.

I'm terribly regretful of the choices I've made in my education (political science/mandarin Chinese), and I want to correct that.  I'm just really, really afraid I won't be given a chance, and that I have to keep teaching abroad or go home to a slave job, neither of which are very appealing to me to be completely honest.  Has anyone found themselves in a similar situation?

I could really, really use some practical advice here.

TLDR; <1 year teacher wants more vocational career/retraining.  Will take 2-4 years, feels old and not sure if it's even possible, financially or just getting accepted to schools for a second bachelors or an associates (nursing).

You are 23 years old and you feel old? Similarly, 27 is not old either. To me you sound a little confused. Needless worrying about age is not healthy. The most important thing is staying fit and healthy. As the Koreans say keep 'fighting'

On paper your education and experience in Korea looks great. Don't just get a second degree purely for the sake of being more employable. If you go back to University make sure it's something that you want to do.

You think you should have already had a house? By now? Most of my friends dont own a home and at 27/28 they are 'old' by your standards.

I thnk you need to re-think your strategy. Take some time away from education if need be. Think about what's important to you. It may be that you really just need a break to do some serious growing up.

Offline JessicaFisk1

• Waygookin
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2011, 04:00:31 PM »
I didn't read your first thread, but I think political science/mandarin chinese sounds very interesting. Remember why you chose those majors in the first place. Your experience teaching in Asia fits perfect with that degree. I think you should research potential career paths you can take with those majors. But then again, as an Asian studies/political science major myself, I'm biased. What about working at a Chinese embassy in the US? Or joining an NGO or similar company to strengthen human rights in China??
Unless the issue is with money, or you no longer have a passion for politics or China, I don't see the point in going back for a totally different degree.
Regardless, you are not old and even if you were, its never too late to get further education. Do what makes you happy!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 04:02:57 PM by JessicaFisk1 »

Offline hunterst

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2011, 04:11:09 PM »
Do you like politics.  If so I'm about to save you four years of studying,  I'm assuming you're American, if so the 2011 election is coming up.  Get a job on a campaign, if you've done campaign work before getting a paying job on a local campaign would not be hard, if you haven't getting a non-paying position will be easy.  You will get real usable experince, maybe get paid, be able to network like crazy, not have to go to get another bachelors.  If anything go for a masters.  Do you want to be a nurse!?! Unless you are specialized you will be cleaning up after people with an associates rather than putting in actaul work to do something you like.  If you thought a degree would be a ticket to a good job at 23, well it's not.  It's about you, not your degree, I have a similar degree, I've worked in the field, I am 23.

Offline Korea87

• Adventurer
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2011, 04:20:40 PM »
OP i think you need slow down and  research better. You don't need to get a second BA depending on what career path you want to take. One of my friends graduated with a BA in sociology in 2008. This year she graduated with a Masters in Nursing. So now she is a nurse practioner.She did that with only taking two or three science courses while  in college. I think you are feeling overwhelmed and unsure and that is preventing you from thoroughly researching your options. I think going back to get BA may not be the smartest option. Good luck with your choice

Offline Paul

• Featured Contributor
  • The Legend
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2011, 04:40:52 PM »
I think your degree is marketable. I mean, it's not a clear-cut career path one, but with the growth of China, it'll be worth something. Don't sweat it for the time being, but instead take the time to decide what you want to do and how to get there: you might find you're closer than you'd think. Also, ask around other expats in Korea, not just online but the ones you'll meet around the place. I truly doubt your situation is unique (in fact I know its not) and perhaps someone else might be able to give you suggestions from a place a few years down the road.

Have you perhaps considered teaching in China for a year to add a year in-country to your resume? With the right sales pitch, a company could see you as priceless in international business negotiations.

Similarly, if you do ultimately decide to go back for another degree, choose something you have a passion for, or failing that, consider the money-trail and pick a field specifically where knowing Mandarin will add value to the new degree.
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment