September 26, 2018, 11:02:58 AM

The 2018 Korea TESOL International Conference: Focus on Fluency
Meet new people. Learn new things. Become a better teacher! Join us October 13 & 14 for the 26th annual Korea TESOL International Conference at Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.

Author Topic: Overstay Repercussions  (Read 958 times)

Offline Diekatkomweer

  • Adventurer
  • *
  • Posts: 40
  • Gender: Female
Overstay Repercussions
« on: October 12, 2017, 11:29:42 PM »
Last year I overstayed 3 months (after having worked there 2 years) due to my negligence. So on August 3rd 2016 I chose to receive a departure order instead of going back to immigration. I received a (68)-1 stamp in my passport. I've read that there is a one year 'probation' on traveling in Korea after that. I'm planning to visit Korea for a few days at the end of the year. I want to know if anyone has had experience visiting again after that stamp? I am a South African citizen so I can't apply for a tourist visa before arriving.

Any help?

Offline bjinglee

  • Expert Waygook
  • ****
  • Posts: 542
Re: Overstay Repercussions
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 12:16:34 PM »
Why not just ask immigration?

Offline theman3285

  • Veteran
  • **
  • Posts: 245
  • Gender: Male
Re: Overstay Repercussions
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 01:29:43 PM »
Diekatkomdalknieweernie :laugh:

Offline get_me_dog

  • Adventurer
  • *
  • Posts: 49
Re: Overstay Repercussions
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 04:57:17 PM »
Why not just ask immigration?

There is an Immigration Advocate (Lawyer) you can ask, but the cheap option is to ask immigration directly.  Really, if unsure avoid Korea until you are sure for if you come and are denied entry the ban will be extended if there is the 1 year ban in place.  It can jump to 5 years really.  S.A. is on a watch list due to the lower Average Income when compared to Korea so they pay more attention.