December 11, 2017, 01:38:37 PM

Author Topic: Anyone else enduring 'Sports Day' at their school today?  (Read 786 times)

Offline Maclean

• Veteran
Anyone else enduring 'Sports Day' at their school today?
« on: October 12, 2017, 02:37:29 PM »
By "enduring" I mean the sheer noise of the event. Not the kids running around having fun but the K-pop blared at an inexplicable volume and the teacher screaming non-stop into the microphone at decibles high enough to be heard in space. Honestly, the yelling is just beyond comprehension. It's so unnecessary and extreme - and this is a residential area. There are people who work night shift who shouldn't live to this level of noise when trying to sleep.

Glad the students are having a fun day, they deserve it, but surely it can be done with Dr. Goebbells screaming blue murder into a microphone.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
Re: Anyone else enduring 'Sports Day' at their school today?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 02:51:32 PM »
Goodness, glad I live in a small town.  Our sports days are never very loud. 

Today there was an event for the elderly at the gym though.  Heard lots of drums.  I imagine there were lots of old people dancing hahahah

Offline Maclean

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 02:56:39 PM »

Today there was an event for the elderly at the gym though.  Heard lots of drums.  I imagine there were lots of old people dancing hahahah

I live in a small town, too. Not only was the music and yelling extremely loud but for the first several hours it was piped into all the classrooms in the school - even though all the students were outside.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 03:01:37 PM »
By "enduring" I mean the sheer noise of the event. Not the kids running around having fun but the K-pop blared at an inexplicable volume and the teacher screaming non-stop into the microphone at decibles high enough to be heard in space. Honestly, the yelling is just beyond comprehension. It's so unnecessary and extreme - and this is a residential area. There are people who work night shift who shouldn't live to this level of noise when trying to sleep.

Glad the students are having a fun day, they deserve it, but surely it can be done with Dr. Goebbells screaming blue murder into a microphone.

Loud music and shouts at a festival/sports event. I'm stunned. I have never encountered that at any sporting event in my life before.

Offline Maclean

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 03:03:31 PM »
That didn't take long.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 03:04:07 PM »

I live in a small town, too. Not only was the music and yelling extremely loud but for the first several hours it was piped into all the classrooms in the school - even though all the students were outside.

Define "small town"  :smiley:

Yea, that sounds bothersome though.  Like I get it, it's a festival, but it's not my cup of tea.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 03:25:57 PM »
That didn't take long.

Your complaint is ridiculous. You're literally complaining that someone is on a PA at a sports event and people are yelling and cheering and that they have music.

Congratulations you've literally described every High School Football game in America.

Just because your life is full of stress and misery right now doesn't mean everyone else has to shut up and be miserable too.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 03:34:36 PM by Mr.DeMartino »

Online Piggydee

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 03:27:37 PM »
meh ....school sees I'm a fata** so they don't bother with me  :laugh: :laugh:  See there are benefits to being fat 8)

Online zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 03:30:15 PM »
This country does seem to have a knack of screaming into microphones at maximum level, so that it's so loud it's distorted beyond what anyone can understand anyway.
See: supermarkets, protests, any stores grand opening, school prize givings etc.

The microphone's purpose is to amplify your voice, it's not necessary to scream into the thing. They are designed so as the user can avoid screaming.

Offline gagevt

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Expert Waygook
  • "The lone wolf dies, but the pack survives"
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 08:12:24 AM »
Damn you all are lucky. I've never had a school blast kpop during sports day, but that would make it even better! Every sports day I've been able to attend (since I work at multiple schools) has been awesome! My former main school would even pull some strings so I could attend sports day. Basically I had duties I needed to do, which was true since the school was small for a city school. I always got to help out for the races and certain events.

I just changed main schools recently, and couldn't attend their sports day as it was on one of only two days that I'm not at the school. Feelsbadman.

Also should mention I'm not good friends with my handler/coteachers there yet, so it wasn't like they would go out of their way to ask my other schools to let me attend.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 10:55:34 AM by gagevt »
"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword."

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 09:03:32 AM »
Basically I had duties I needed to do, which was true since the school was small for a city school. I always got to help out for the races and certain events.

Yonks ago, I was ref for the football match at my middle school.  I'm quite lax when it comes to football rules, moreso than when I've played in the adult football tournaments here and the refs have been stupidly strict.  There is literally no backchat here with refs, or you get a yellow.  So my students were doing slide tackles, and getting the ball and one boy hated me because I let this carry on.  Reffing that day was stressful.

This year at my high school, there was softball.  For some reason, there was no ref for one game, so one teacher told me to be the ref behind the batter.  I have no fooking idea about the rules for softball as I'm from England.  Cricket? Cool!  Baseball/softball, no way!  SO I have loads of screaming students and I'd have to say something like 'strike or ball or foul' but had no idea when.  So lots of times the students would all look at me, waiting for my 'judgement'.  As soon as the PE teacher along, I grabbed him and legged it.  Oh the stress!

Online Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 09:54:22 AM »
Surely, you've watched 'The Naked Gun'. You know exactly what to do.