December 12, 2017, 06:36:50 AM

Author Topic: Crime by native English teachers on the rise...more nonsense  (Read 2098 times)

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
Crime by native English teachers on the rise...more nonsense
« on: October 11, 2017, 02:06:22 PM »
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2017/10/181_237462.html

Over the last five years, 11 native English teachers in elementary, middle, and high schools were punished for committing crimes.

Six were charged with possession of illegal drugs, two for sexual harassment, and one each for physical assault, robbery, and engagement of obscene acts in public.

Pay close attention at what the author is trying to do: 2 "crimes" in 2012, 2 in 2013, 2 in 2014, 2 in 2015, and then 3 in 2016!!!

Calling that a "rise in crime" in that one additional NET is added to such a small number flies in the face of truthful reporting, as those numbers are neither practically nor statistically significance.

.0002 vs. .0006...wow, a 3 fold increase when factoring in the decrease in the number of NETs, but the numbers are simply too small to tell a meaningful story.

The narrative is obvious, but will the public be so easily fooled?

Time will out.

Offline cjszk

• Expert Waygook
Re: Crime by native English teachers on the rise...more nonsense
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 02:14:49 PM »
Considering the increase of foreign teachers in Korea over time, you would expect more... of everything from them... duh...
That said... 11 incidents over 5 years seems like a rather low number to me. To say that requires "...a solution urgently" makes for quite a laugh.
This article masterfully ends on the note of... "foreigners are a problem" when that wasn't even the original focus of the article.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 02:27:18 PM »
This guy has an agenda.

Care to take a guess at what additional measures he is going to create to address his myth?

Online thunderlips

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 02:34:00 PM »
Impressive to not even broach the topic of crimes committed by sex obsessed Korean teachers, regular and/or contract. But I guess that doesn't enflame the locals much.

I honestly think that arrest statistic for foreign native teachers is low, like not accurate low.

Kor Share at jcink

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 02:38:41 PM »
I honestly think that arrest statistic for foreign native teachers is low, like not accurate low.
It is not ALL foreign native teachers, but those working within the public school system.

Offline Piggydee

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 02:39:58 PM »
Funny one of my Korean guy friends told me that his friend who is an officer deals with 900 arrest a night in Hongdae alone....and that's not including foreigners.....so I say Koreans are committing more crimes....

Online thunderlips

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 02:47:24 PM »
It is not ALL foreign native teachers, but those working within the public school system.

Just under 5,000 (Oct 2016 numbers)  PUBLIC school teachers and only 2-3 arrests.

Like I said seems too low.
Kor Share at jcink

Offline gagevt

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Expert Waygook
  • "The lone wolf dies, but the pack survives"
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 02:56:03 PM »
Considering the increase of foreign teachers in Korea over time, you would expect more... of everything from them... duh...
That said... 11 incidents over 5 years seems like a rather low number to me. To say that requires "...a solution urgently" makes for quite a laugh.
This article masterfully ends on the note of... "foreigners are a problem" when that wasn't even the original focus of the article.

The "solution is urgently needed" was directed to the rise of sexual harassment of teachers by students. It's a pretty strange article and poorly written in how it vaguely intertwines these two issues.

I also feel it's disingenuous to talk about the crime of native English teachers without mentioning whatsoever the crimes committed by Korean teachers. I'd be curious to see the numbers adjusted for population side-by-side.
"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword."

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 03:00:56 PM »

Just under 5,000 (Oct 2016 numbers)  PUBLIC school teachers and only 2-3 arrests.

It is not "arrests", but those that were actually "punished for committing crimes" (there is a difference).

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
  • 인생 뭐있냐?
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 03:07:58 PM »

The "solution is urgently needed" was directed to the rise of sexual harassment of teachers by students. It's a pretty strange article and poorly written in how it vaguely intertwines these two issues.

Yeah, I noticed that too. It was all over the place. I feel like earlier drafts may have had some connecting paragraphs or other info in there but then it was whittled down in a really slipshod way.

OR

They just threw in extra paragraphs about foreigner 'crime rising' in order to pad it cause there wasn't enough meat on the bones of the original "story". Either way...

SAD  :afro: (BTW I think we need a Trump emoticon)

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 03:09:48 PM »
I also feel it's disingenuous to talk about the crime of native English teachers without mentioning whatsoever the crimes committed by Korean teachers. I'd be curious to see the numbers adjusted for population side-by-side.
Yeah, it's pretty bogus.

When you compare foreign crime rate in Korea with the locals, the local (Korean) crime rate is double.  However, that doesn't tell the story, as the vast majority of the foreigners in Korea are Chinese, and they are committing a disproportionate amount of the crime.

If you were to filter out all other foreigners and leave in the NET country foreigners, their wouldn't be a "crime-rate" worth mentioning.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 03:22:09 PM by Pecan »

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 03:18:02 PM »

why do you think it seems too low? all public school NETs are required to prove they have clean criminal records before coming to korea.

on top of that, all are college-educated, and all or nearly all are middle class. over 50% are female.

college-educated middle-class females are the demographic least likely to commit crimes anywhere.

and on top of that, the vast majority of public school NETs are only here for 1-2 years.

regarding crime in general, koreans actually commit way more crimes than foreigners:

"Immigrants in Korea, including the Korean-Chinese, are criticised but foreigner crime rates are only half that of the national average," said Dr Park Kyung-tae, of Sungkonghoe University's department of sociology. "Koreans are more frightening when you look at statistics," he says. In 2014, the crime rate per population was 3.75 per cent for Korean nationals, and 1.71 per cent for foreigners.

from this - http://www.scmp.com/news/asia/article/1727187/misperception-crime-rate-make-south-koreans-wary-seoul-chinatown

Offline Chester Jim

• Expert Waygook
  • Getter Done
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2017, 07:25:15 PM »
I'd have guessed the politician would have been left wing, but he's a right winger .  Maybe he's trying to pick up democratic constituents after their loss.
Bonzai!

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 10:51:39 PM »

Over the last five years, 11 native English teachers in elementary, middle, and high schools were punished for committing crimes.

Six were charged with possession of illegal drugs, two for sexual harassment, and one each for physical assault, robbery, and engagement of obscene acts in public.

"It is likely there are more of these cases, for many teachers are likely to hesitate in filing harassment reports. A solution is needed urgently," Rep. Kwak said.

He also stressed the need to address crimes committed by native English teachers. "Employment and management regulations must be toughened for the native English speaking teachers," he said

vs

On Oct. 4, the day of Chuseok, a woman in her 40s stabbed her husband in the neck with a knife in their home in Paju, Gyeonggi, after he swore at their dog for barking, she later told police. The coupleís child, an elementary school student, called the police. The man died in the ambulance and the wife was arrested.

A 13-month-old baby died after she was bitten by a 7-year-old Jindo dog at an apartment in Siheung, Gyeonggi, on Friday. The dog reportedly jumped over a 60-centimeter (23-inch) fence that encircled the baby.

In yet another case, a woman in her 40s was fined 3 million won ($2,638) in April for obstruction of duty and contempt of authorities after she brought her dog into a fast-food restaurant in Ulsan in 2014, despite the restaurant employeesí protest, and let it walk around and even relieve itself. She swore at police when they arrived.

The number of cases where a pet bit a person or another pet increased from 616 in 2013 to 1,019 in 2016, according to Korea Consumer Agency. From January to June this year, 766 cases have been reported. The number of pets in Korean households broke the 10 million mark in 2015, according to the Animal and Plant Quarantine Agency.

ďItís premature to take a few of these cases involving pets and call them a Ďpet-over-humaní phenomenon,Ē said Lee Soo-jeong, professor of criminal psychology at Kyonggi University in Gyeonggi. ďIn the Paju incident, I think the wife probably killed the husband not because of what he did to the dog, but out of anger bottled up over time in their relationship.Ē

http://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/news/article/article.aspx?aid=3039327

11 crimes for foreigners over 5 years = need regulations

1000+ pet related crimes in a single year = premature to jump to conclusions...

Offline HyooMyron

• Super Waygook
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2017, 08:24:25 AM »

why do you think it seems too low? all public school NETs are required to prove they have clean criminal records before coming to korea.

on top of that, all are college-educated, and all or nearly all are middle class. over 50% are female.

college-educated middle-class females are the demographic least likely to commit crimes anywhere.

and on top of that, the vast majority of public school NETs are only here for 1-2 years.

Even though the requirements are basically the same, I feel like there is a WORLD of difference between public school NETs and the hagwon crowd. Does anyone else feel the same way? In my mid-sized city (where a lot of the foreigners know each other), the trouble makers are almost always the hagwon folks.

Offline zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2017, 09:05:22 AM »
I wouldn't say trouble makers, but yes I know what you are getting at.
The prize for the biggest weirdos goes to university "professors" though.

Offline Chester Jim

• Expert Waygook
  • Getter Done
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2017, 10:00:16 AM »

Even though the requirements are basically the same, I feel like there is a WORLD of difference between public school NETs and the hagwon crowd. Does anyone else feel the same way? In my mid-sized city (where a lot of the foreigners know each other), the trouble makers are almost always the hagwon folks.

Congratulations on the dumbest idea I have  ever seen on waygook
Letís get out the pitchforks and get at those hagwon folks

If anything the nets, surrounded by only Koreans have the most culture shock and therefore are the biggest headcases .   Itís hard to get into trouble when you have no friends .
Bonzai!

Offline HyooMyron

• Super Waygook
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2017, 10:16:13 AM »

If anything the nets, surrounded by only Koreans have the most culture shock and therefore are the biggest headcases .   Itís hard to get into trouble when you have no friends .

Found the hagwon teacher  :cheesy:

Of course I said it tongue in cheek, so calm down there buddy  :laugh:

Haha I left out the uni people because we were talking about crimes and causing trouble. But I guess if we were talking about "professional" writers, photographers, and artists then I would've mentioned the uni crowd  :P

Online thunderlips

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2017, 10:25:15 AM »

Found the hagwon teacher  :cheesy:

Of course I said it tongue in cheek, so calm down there buddy  :laugh:

Haha I left out the uni people because we were talking about crimes and causing trouble. But I guess if we were talking about "professional" writers, photographers, and artists then I would've mentioned the uni crowd  :P

You must not read the news.

Bribery, drugs, harassment, vandalism.

http://www.rokdrop.net/2017/04/english-teacher-arrested-for-taking-down-korean-presidential-election-banner-on-his-house/

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2017/07/181_232844.html

« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 10:34:13 AM by thunderlips »
Kor Share at jcink

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2017, 11:22:26 AM »

Agreed. I think its the nature of public school employment. There's a sense of community attached to the work. You have events, you have to deal with all levels of students, there's other subject teachers, there's school spirit, etc. That has a trickle-down effect.

I'd say another big gap is rural vs. big city teachers, especially the smaller towns.

In addition to this being the first time to work and the first time overseas, a lot of NETs are coping for the first time living in a big city like Seoul (or the opposite and living in BFE) and have trouble adapting to how things are.