October 19, 2017, 03:38:42 AM

Author Topic: Doing a masters degree in Korea  (Read 1142 times)

Offline amyb72

• Adventurer
Doing a masters degree in Korea
« on: October 05, 2017, 03:54:07 PM »
Has anyone done their masters in Korea in a field which isn't English education? I just want some general info.
Are there any universities which offer English taught curriculum for masters programs?

Offline ktrn149

• Explorer
  • Bacon makes the world go round
Re: Doing a masters degree in Korea
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 07:23:28 PM »
I'm considering doing a master's in Korea in the next year or two, but I'm not sure for which discipline.  A friend of mine, also from the States, is getting a master's in marketing from Pusan National University.  I don't know much about it, but I believe that many of the larger universities have programs in English

Offline poopfeast420

• Waygookin
  • Comrade from Canadakhstan
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 09:43:20 PM »
Hi Im doing my masters at HUFS in Seoul in International Studies. I can answer any questions you may have :)

Offline cstarlovesu

• Newgookin
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 02:30:36 PM »
Following--
I am looking into Graduate School in about a year or 2 as well. Maybe do TESOL, but want to do something that can have more depth later if I want to leave the field of education.

Social Welfare, Child & Family Studies, Counseling, Child Development, and International Studies are a few I have seen that caught my eye at each of the schools.

My question is as well--- are they all taught in English? Understandable a lot would not be and I am trying to learn Korean but not enough so that I could pass graduate school with a Korean led set of classes.

Offline poopfeast420

• Waygookin
  • Comrade from Canadakhstan
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 09:50:29 PM »
International Studies, for almost 99% of them I've looked into are all English instructed. The proffs at least in my case are also mostly all foreigners and the level of instruction is very good.

Seoul National, Korea, Hankuk University of Foreign Studies all have respectable IS Graduate schools but the admissions are not a walk in the park ( I was turned away from SNU.)

Offline JMalinza

• Newgookin
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 11:10:41 AM »
If you're looking for a scholarship, you should google the korean government scholarship. It's a 3 year program, where the 1st year is learning korean and the next 2 are actual study.

I'm looking to do my masters in engineering. If anyone has some experience applying, please send me a PM!

Offline Shanelev

• Newgookin
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 01:12:39 PM »
Following--
I am looking into Graduate School in about a year or 2 as well. Maybe do TESOL, but want to do something that can have more depth later if I want to leave the field of education.

Social Welfare, Child & Family Studies, Counseling, Child Development, and International Studies are a few I have seen that caught my eye at each of the schools.

My question is as well--- are they all taught in English? Understandable a lot would not be and I am trying to learn Korean but not enough so that I could pass graduate school with a Korean led set of classes.

Which schools had Counseling? I've been searching for that, and haven't found anything.

Offline claudeteacher

• Newgookin
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 01:32:24 PM »
George Mason Korea will be offering Masters programs in 2018, including one in Education.

American University Masters Degree in Korea, all in English.

Offline ksmtw

• Explorer
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 04:46:59 PM »
Currently doing my masters here in Seoul, but my program is taught in Korean. (Don't wish to provide details publicly but my program has no relation to anything English or international...) However, my school, like most others I would assume, allows me to do my thesis in English, and all my professors so far let me do papers and even some presentations in English. You do still need to have a high level of Korean for this though.

Anyway, my advice is emailing and/or meeting with the head of the department before applying. They can tell you in detail about what kind of English classes etc are available and you can get a feel for how accommodating the department would be to your foreign-ness  ;D Good luck!

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 03:51:45 PM »
Just as a side note, sometimes things are offered in English but if there's one Native speaker in the class, they'll possibly still conduct class in Korean and let you do the work in English. It happened to a few friends who went to universities in Seoul for exchange programs. Their books and assignments were in English but since they were so vastly outnumbered, class was in Korean.

Offline MintKiss

• Waygookin
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 05:04:01 PM »
Hi Im doing my masters at HUFS in Seoul in International Studies. I can answer any questions you may have :)

i see we have an artosis  fan here... :wink:

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment