November 20, 2017, 05:36:18 PM

Author Topic: SNES Mini production extension-- & return of the NES Mini!  (Read 318 times)

Online yirj17

• The Legend
SNES Mini production extension-- & return of the NES Mini!
« on: September 13, 2017, 09:37:58 PM »
For those who were/are interested in the classic mini consoles, supposedly production of the SNES Classic Mini will extend into 2018 and the NES Classic Mini is slated to return next summer as well. 

https://kotaku.com/nintendo-bringing-back-the-nes-classic-in-2018-1803771394

Online Aristocrat

• Expert Waygook
Re: SNES Mini production extension-- & return of the NES Mini!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 10:29:56 PM »
God, do I hate those consoles. They're the sole reason Nintendo is delaying NES and SNES ports to the Switch.

Sure, the Switch is more expensive but you get:

- The entire NES library, which Nintendo hasn't announced, but should be more than the pre-loaded
  games on the classics
- The entire SNES library, as above.
- The ability to play said games on the go
- No stupid wired controllers... I'm all for nostalgia, but wired controls in 2017?
- Switch exclusives too
- Multiplayer support for classic NES and SNES games

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 09:45:38 AM »
Hahah, I can understand that.  Personally I'm not that interested in buying a $300~ish console and then adding on top of that $5~10 for every retro title (not interested in free emulators).  The SNES mini is a convenient package for a decent price when you break down the number of titles for the cost. 

Online tanis62458

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 10:22:39 AM »
;D
as long as i can get one for retail price, i'm there

Online Aristocrat

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 10:28:14 AM »
Hahah, I can understand that.  Personally I'm not that interested in buying a $300~ish console and then adding on top of that $5~10 for every retro title (not interested in free emulators).  The SNES mini is a convenient package for a decent price when you break down the number of titles for the cost.

I was concerned about that too, but you don't pay per game.
You pay $20 a year for the Nintendo subscription and for that you got access to the entire NES and SNES library... not bad.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 12:24:17 PM »

You pay $20 a year for the Nintendo subscription and for that you got access to the entire NES and SNES library... not bad.

Ooo, legit??  I had no idea.  Not bad at all!!  I wonder if the entire library actually means the majority of games released for the systems or if it just includes what has already been officially ported to digital console so far.  It'd be cool to play some of the more obscure titles or games that were only released in Japan. 

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 01:24:43 PM »
If I can get one at retail price that'd be cool but I'm pretty set for NES and SNES. I got my mum's NES stuff cuz I use it more than her so it's basically mine, and it's got some old shady 1980s bootleg cart with 110 games on it. I've got a lot of original games too but my family basically used that 80s bootleg cart religiously since the 80s :P

I've got all my SNES games complete with the boxes cuz I was a strangely organized child, so all I don't have are Earthbound and Starfox 2 (which i'm not interested in). I've got a supaboy too so I don't neeeeeeeeeeed one of the classics consoles but as a gamer I can't help but to buy dumb stuff just to have it and shove it on a shelf.....

Online Aristocrat

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 01:55:23 PM »

Ooo, legit??  I had no idea.  Not bad at all!!  I wonder if the entire library actually means the majority of games released for the systems or if it just includes what has already been officially ported to digital console so far.  It'd be cool to play some of the more obscure titles or games that were only released in Japan.

I'm not sure on that, many of those companies who released those obscure NES titles back in the day have totally gone out of business and somehow Nintendo wound up with the rights.
The Wii U had a pretty decent NES and SNES lineup so I'm expecting it to be at least comparable to that.

The real kicker is that some of the classic games are going to have multiplayer function!!!
Imagine replaying Contra multiplayer!!

Like Kriztee, I never owned a NES console, I owned a Taiwanese knockoff Famicom, with a few of those 200-in-1 carts, with a bunch of weird games. Though I'd love all those obscure games, I highly doubt they'll be available. I'll be happy simply downloading an emulator to play the more obscure games off my laptop... Though, to be honest, I'd only really play the really goofy obscure games for the sake of nostalgia.

The Switch seems worth it, purely for the multiplayer function and portability. The hardware is MUCH easier to port to than the Wii U, so you'll be seeing a hell of a lot more 3rd party games coming to the Switch on top of that.

Got my Switch in Yongsan, 2 weeks ago, at 470k. It was pricey, but as I need something to keep me on my back for while (sports injury), I justified the price.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 02:08:34 PM »
Yeah, if I can't get one for retail I'm not too fussed about it.  Still have an old SNES console but it went kaput a while back and I haven't yet made time to futz with it (hoping it's salvageable). 

I'm a sucker for the nostalgic aspect of the SNES mini though; I know some of the newer consoles offer retro titles digitally but I really love the original SNES controllers.  And this is a great opportunity for the casual gamer types who wouldn't spring for one of the new gen consoles. 

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 02:34:46 PM »
Promises promises Nintendo. I don't get how they couldn't have done the releases properly the first time around. Don't be surprised when production "continues" and you still can't get your hands on one, yet there are plenty available for 10X the price on Ebay.