September 20, 2017, 08:05:03 PM

Author Topic: Trump preparing withdrawal from South Korea trade deal  (Read 1544 times)

Offline gogators!

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: Trump preparing withdrawal from South Korea trade deal
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2017, 04:49:42 PM »
So far Trumpy hasn't done a single thing he said he would. The closest he came to was his half-assed Muslim ban and the only thing that proved was that no one in his team understands separation of powers. Or government. Or the difference between an American President and a medieval Mongol Khan.

I wouldn't worry too much if I was a chaebol owner.
Which is why he might do this--to show his base he can keep his promises to them. It's why he still bangs on about building a wall; his base is all for it.

And now's a good time to start backing away from SK/NK so even though most businesses/economist advisors seem to be against it, donnie might have balls enough to do it unless SK makes some sort of concession so he can brag about getting a better deal.

Not sure. He's getting more flaky not less. He's even walked back his bullshit 1 million dollar pledge barely a week after.

He was never going to give that money. His personal charitable contributions are negligible, his foundation is/was a scam and who knows if he even has that much cash?

SK is a fairly easy target so he might loose a few real arrows in its direction.

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2017, 01:16:13 PM »
I lived here before FTA.  Came into full effect by 2012ish?  This is also when US companies would ship here too.  I Herb, Amazon, clothing, etc.  My guess is that will either stop or get hit with high duties?  I will miss it as buying clothes that fit and getting quality multivitamins, etc was great and convenient.  Before this, you had to rely on local brands and many of them weren't up to snuff.  These other companies would not ship here.  I guess it wasn't the end of the world, but stuffing the suitcase on a trip to North America and hitting the "underground markets" sure mattered a lot more.  I still lived minus some occasional frustration at not being bale to find something.  Some Korean small businesses should get cut some slack on some food items though for their businesses if the Korean ingredients aren't up to snuff though. 

I'm not against some partial return to protectionism however as jobs have been bled away and sent to poorer countries.  I use to believe in free trade, at least amongst developed countries.  I always rejected it with poor countries as they can pay low wages and skirt environmental laws (China).  But, even developed countries might have some partial tariffs.  US use to have good jobs before the era of free trade and in Canada, Ontario was the promised land for many before this time.  Though to be fair, there was the 1970's which was a period of terrible slowdown and rising inflation.  So, the 80's and 90's recovery was great for the baby boomers.  They shouldn't have pushed trade so much.  China and Mexico should have had higher tarriffs.  Canada and the US mostly free trade with some protections, which I guess we had.  But, maybe slightly more restrictive than before. 

Offline Arabin

• Veteran
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2017, 01:37:37 PM »
So far Trumpy hasn't done a single thing he said he would. The closest he came to was his half-assed Muslim ban and the only thing that proved was that no one in his team understands separation of powers. Or government. Or the difference between an American President and a medieval Mongol Khan.

Which is why he might do this--to show his base he can keep his promises to them. It's why he still bangs on about building a wall; his base is all for it.

And now's a good time to start backing away from SK/NK so even though most businesses/economist advisors seem to be against it, donnie might have balls enough to do it unless SK makes some sort of concession so he can brag about getting a better deal.

Not sure. He's getting more flaky not less. He's even walked back his bullshit 1 million dollar pledge barely a week after.

He was never going to give that money. His personal charitable contributions are negligible, his foundation is/was a scam and who knows if he even has that much cash?

SK is a fairly easy target so he might loose a few real arrows in its direction.

Don't Hyundai and Kia have plants in the US? And Daewoo is now a branch of GM. I'm just wondering if there could be serous repercussions to backing away from the FTA. Not that he would give a toss but it could give him cause to back off. IIRC the great Dealmaker has collapsed like a dropped colostomy bag each time one of his idiotic plans somehow made it through to the real world.

The Atlantic reckons his latest tiff with Moon is because SK, China and Russia are keen to do a deal whereupon the big military drills stop in exchange for no more nuclear brinkmanship. But the Great Orange thinks his schoolboy psychology will be more effective than the tactics of people who have spent their working lives focusing on NK.

I'm wondering if the FTA threats were part of that hissy fit.

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
  • Today we are all root beer
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2017, 01:57:44 PM »
Trump is now saying he'll cut off all trade with China. This is now a Troll Who Cried Wolf situation.

D: But that'll kill the dollar store industry in America! Where else will we get terrible products that last half a use!?

More like 60% of things sold in any store in the US, like iphones and Nintendos. Not gonna happen.

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2017, 02:28:10 PM »
Tangential, but as a Canadian I'm worried that NAFTA will be re-negotiated and hurt a lot of industries. I'm hopeful that Trump is possibly our single greatest asset.

Also, if Americans could force our duty free import limit from 20 f ucking dollars to something less insane like 100, that would be great.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
  • Today we are all root beer
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2017, 02:39:23 PM »
Trump is completely powerless. People STILL parrot his "I'm a master dealmaker" BS, but he hasn't made a single "deal."

Offline gogators!

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2017, 04:55:32 PM »

Don't Hyundai and Kia have plants in the US? And Daewoo is now a branch of GM. I'm just wondering if there could be serous repercussions to backing away from the FTA. Not that he would give a toss but it could give him cause to back off. IIRC the great Dealmaker has collapsed like a dropped colostomy bag each time one of his idiotic plans somehow made it through to the real world.

The Atlantic reckons his latest tiff with Moon is because SK, China and Russia are keen to do a deal whereupon the big military drills stop in exchange for no more nuclear brinkmanship. But the Great Orange thinks his schoolboy psychology will be more effective than the tactics of people who have spent their working lives focusing on NK.

I'm wondering if the FTA threats were part of that hissy fit.
Hyundai and Kia are going nowhere--the Korean auto industry is really hurting. Hyundai can't get parts for its factories in China because its Chinese partner hasn't been paying the bills.

Looks like he just sold SK billions in armaments so that will go some ways to right the trade imbalance.

But he really, really needs a win, and SK needs the US a lot more than the other way, so SK will make some concessions and trump can have his minute or two in the sun.

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2017, 10:14:35 PM »

Offline hangook77

• Adventurer
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2017, 08:32:50 PM »
I've been preached to about free trade and how we're suppose to embrace it.  But, then I remember my grandparents telling me about lots of jobs when there was only partial free trade as they put it.  I wasn't alive back then, maybe they just have nostalgia.  But, it's a scary world out there.  What I don't get is why the US would have a 3.5% tariff and Korea would have 14%.  Match it or reduce it equally or have free trade in less goods - IE raw materials and maybe some foodstuffs.

Offline Chester Jim

• Super Waygook
  • Getter Done
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2017, 09:50:13 PM »
The currency manipulation is the biggest problem.   Some say it's overvalued by 30 some percent.    I'd like my Korean cash to go up that much.   If it did then problem solved .  People wouldn't buy Korean products and Koreans would buy us ones.  Koreans already freak out about how much money they spend on vacations abroad.   
Bonzai!

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment