November 19, 2017, 09:15:57 AM

Author Topic: Student with ADHD disrupting other students  (Read 339 times)

Offline Drumpunk892

• Explorer
Student with ADHD disrupting other students
« on: August 23, 2017, 07:05:06 PM »
Hey there!

I work at a hagwon in Seoul and I just took over for a teacher that recently left. One of the students in the class has severe ADHD with an emphasis on the hyperactivity. This is not my first class and I have dealt with unruly students before, but I am at a loss with how to handle this student.

They are a 6 year old class, but most of their English levels are quite good. This student speaks "gibberish" most of the time. Is constantly speaking Korean in class, especially to other students during class lessons when they should be focused on their work and myself. He gets out of his seat constantly. It wouldn't be too big of an issues except that he distracts all of the other students, impeding their learning.

I currently have him sitting at a table by himself right next to me while I teach so I can keep an eye on him but to no avail. When I call his name to try to curb the behavior it is almost like he cannot hear me, which I know her can.

Any advice or tips would be appreciated!

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: Student with ADHD disrupting other students
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 09:32:51 AM »
I'm sorry to say that there's no easy fix for this and that it will take some time and experimentation (also realize that just because you don't receive immediate results doesn't mean that whatever method won't work -- it might just need to be done enough times to establish a pattern, or you'll need to change your approach or execution). How long it will take to see results will also depend strongly on how he's being handled outside of the school. If he's not receiving any discipline or some kind of education/behavioral therapy, you can expect an incredible uphill battle. You'll need to remain patient, and you'll need to avoid showing any visible frustration. At the same time, remember that each child is an individual and that this one might surprise you and display a positive response sooner than anticipated (just don't expect it).

The fact is he's not just having a hard time focusing, he's refusing to acknowledge your authority. ADHD does not cause that, although it can make it worse. And kids at this age LOVE to test adults to see how far they can go. ADHD just exacerbates it.

So you'll need to make sure that there's no way he can say he doesn't understand the rules. You'll need to have them posted up somewhere, they need to be short and concise, and they'll need to be 100% enforced. Consequences should be immediate and consistent -- BUT, before this, you want to try to establish more positive reinforcement and utilize attention-grabbing techniques. This is a pattern you'll need to create before really cracking down on negative reinforcements, but, absolutely, rules should be always there and he should always be reminded of them without any long explanations. If he pretends not to hear you, that's fine -- just walk over to him, take him by the shoulder, and guide him where you need him to be. If he fights with you, it's time to walk him out of the classroom and to speak to him, firmly but kindly -- if you have to do this, always finish off the talk on a positive note (a compliment, telling him you think he'd be good at helping you with whatever, blah blah blah). 

So after establishing the rules and the possible consequences, turn the kid into your little helper. Give him jobs that he must help you to complete each and every class, from helping you with demonstrations to handing things out. If you're going through a PPT or something, ask him to help you press the buttons. Give him positive feedback whenever he does what you say. You'll also need to keep your eye on him during actual work-time and realize that you're going to need to give him regular "breaks" to help keep him more focused and to prevent him from distracting his fellow classmates. Whenever you're giving him a "break," do it in the form of helping you to complete some kind of task while the others continue to work. Or, you can have the entire class take regular breaks here and there to do random and fun exercises for a couple of minutes before they get on with their work. Another possibility -- create work that requires consistent and active feedback (EX: After students correctly answer or fill in a blank on a worksheet, they must run to a box full of colored balls, pick a colored ball that matches the colored theme of the day, and race it back to their own assigned basket. You can reward students who successfully have the right number of balls in their basket. Alternatively, you can create assignments that require group effort AND a lot of activity).

Assignments should be very concise, easy to follow, and to the point. ADHD kids usually have fairly strong avoidance tendencies (which is often rewarded by people who just "give up" on them), so if the student gets even a little confused (or bored), he'll become frustrated and give up right away, and that's a downward spiral with ADHD kids (cue disruptive behavior). You'll want to do whatever you can to avoid that. So keep him active, give him regular breaks, and make sure he actually understands what's expected of him (both in the class and for whatever assignment).

Of course this would be a lot easier with a coT, but I'm assuming you're working on your own here.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 05:14:12 PM by Chinguetti »