August 20, 2017, 09:24:35 AM

Author Topic: Best way to deal with North Korea?  (Read 1008 times)

Offline gogators!

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: Best way to deal with North Korea?
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2017, 12:57:45 PM »
Why does North Korea need to be "dealt with"? Have they invaded another country? Blockaded someone? Bombed civilians?

Or are they a sovereign nation improving their ability to defend themselves against rivals who constantly do all of the above?

North Korea can do whatever they want in their own country.
I agree with this. But they arent doing themselves any favours by saying they are going to fire a missile at Guam.

This could all be solved by dinner time if SK/US signed a peace treaty with the North in return for getting rid of the nukes.
Get rid of our nukes?!?

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2017, 02:59:42 PM »
This could all be solved by dinner time if SK/US signed a peace treaty with the North in return for getting rid of the nukes.

I hear Kushner is on it, but to maximize the optics he's trying to arrange a 'triple play': An end to the civil war in Syria with Assad agreeing to be tried in international court for war crimes over breakfast, lunch with Netanyahu and whoever represents the Palestinians during which Isreal will agree to give up being a Jewish state and give Palestinians full democratic rights and privileges, dinner with Kim Jung-un as you described, and then cocktail drinks at a dance party in Saudia Arabia to celebrate, where we don't bring up their funding of terrorist and don't stop selling them arms.  :afro:

Offline Adel

• Super Waygook
  • Pants down
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2017, 03:25:43 PM »

I hear Kushner is on it, but to maximize the optics he's trying to arrange a 'triple play': An end to the civil war in Syria with Assad agreeing to be tried in international court for war crimes over breakfast, lunch with Netanyahu and whoever represents the Palestinians during which Isreal will agree to give up being a Jewish state and give Palestinians full democratic rights and privileges, dinner with Kim Jung-un as you described, and then cocktail drinks at a dance party in Saudia Arabia to celebrate, where we don't bring up their funding of terrorist and don't stop selling them arms.  :afro:

How's it gonna work without the chance for a photo opportunity with his Mrs to flog off her new line of frocks? There wouldn't appear to be much of a market for Ivanka in any of those places.

Offline denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2017, 05:11:30 PM »

[/quote]
[/quote]

:shocked: You would honestly trust them to get rid of their nukes?!?!?!?!

Offline Aurata

• Expert Waygook
  • Je regrette rien
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2017, 09:27:13 PM »
Get rid of our nukes?!?

Of course!... only america is allowed to menace the world with nuclear weapons.

Nobody else gets to have them because that would mean... gasp.. washington wouldn't be able to invade them.

Ah...hahaha  :laugh: :laugh: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Imagine your Korea...

Offline macsrw

• Waygookin
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2017, 02:01:26 AM »
I think that the first and foremost thing to remember is that the DPRK has one overriding goal, which is the survival of the regime. They will not do anything which would jeopardize this goal unless they thought that the gig is up, and they have already lost. You can say lots of things about the DPRK leadership, but they are not complete idiots. They can do basic math, and they know that they would lose any war with the US/ROK. Badly. What they are doing with their nukes and missiles is clearly an act of deterrence. They are essentially telling the Americans that, while they may be able to win the war, such a victory would come at a heavy cost. Realistically, such a war would see millions dead in the DPRK, hundreds of thousands dead in ROK, at least 10,000 American military casualties, and quite possibly a few ruined neighbourhoods in Japan, Guam or even California (remember that DPRK nukes, while terribly destructive as all nukes are, do not even come close to the city-destroyers in the American or Russian arsenals).

The DPRK is in what you could call an extremely defensive position. They have seen what happens to regimes in smaller poorer countries that the US disfavours, and I can assure you that KJU wants above all other things not to follow in the footsteps of Saddam or Gaddafi. Their nuclear program is something of an insurance policy to this effect. Of course I am not trying to say that the DPRK is in any way a peaceful regime (if they do think the gig is up, they will throw everything they have at anyone they can, which is pretty bad news for me in Gangbuk-gu). What I am trying to say is that if Trump does absolutely nothing, then we can expect a few more missile and bomb tests here and there, and maybe some over the top empty threats, but absolutely nothing more than this. The DPRK knows that if it ever decided to randomly nuke Guam,  it may as well just nuke Pyongyang and save the Americans the trouble. KJU does not want to die in an inferno- he has a pretty sick job and almost certainly loves life, and in his equation, the best way to do this is to make the US think twice before attempting one of its regime changes (which of course all have famously good long-term outcomes). Problem with trying to make the Americans think twice is that they now have a leader who has yet to think once, so we could be in a LOT of trouble if he attempts one of his "missiles over chocolate cake" moves here.

Long term, the US needs to take a less belligerent tone in order to get the DPRK off of its extreme defensive positioning. Working out a peace treaty should be the ultimate goal, and unless we want to constantly teeter on the verge of war, or even worse actually get involved in what will be the worst war since 1945, then a peace treaty is the only option.

Offline Kolao

• Adventurer
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2017, 11:08:49 PM »
Leave the DPRK alone.

Adjacent: Where was the outrage when Israel stole technology and yellowcake from her greatest ally and protector to build her nuclear arsenal and then threatened to use them?
When the wicked are confounded, and consigned to flames of woe, call me.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2017, 11:58:05 PM »
Leave the DPRK alone.

Adjacent: Where was the outrage when Israel stole technology and yellowcake from her greatest ally and protector to build her nuclear arsenal and then threatened to use them?
Iran, probably. And likely Egypt and Syria as well, although at that point in time they were too busy licking their wounds to worry much about international events.  :smiley:

And Belgium was Israel's greatest ally and protector? I know of at least one country who will be heartbroken to hear this.  :sad:

Oh, and you forgot to say "allegedly". Insofar as I know, it's never been confirmed that anything was ever actually "stolen".  :lipsrsealed:

Offline Aurata

• Expert Waygook
  • Je regrette rien
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2017, 05:53:56 AM »
Where was the outrage when Israel stole technology and yellowcake from her greatest ally and protector to build her nuclear arsenal and then threatened to use them?
you forgot to say "allegedly". Insofar as I know, it's never been confirmed that anything was ever actually "stolen".  :lipsrsealed:

A nuclear deterrent is legitimate for a country regularly threatened by its neighbours and half the globe.

Long live independent nation states. Long live diversity. Down with globalism.
Imagine your Korea...

Offline Adel

• Super Waygook
  • Pants down
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2017, 06:32:06 AM »
Where was the outrage when Israel stole technology and yellowcake from her greatest ally and protector to build her nuclear arsenal and then threatened to use them?
you forgot to say "allegedly". Insofar as I know, it's never been confirmed that anything was ever actually "stolen".  :lipsrsealed:

A nuclear deterrent is legitimate for a country regularly threatened by its neighbours and half the globe.

Long live independent nation states. Long live diversity. Down with globalism.

Recent Lesson Plans

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment