January 22, 2018, 12:15:04 PM

Author Topic: How do I find a job in America?  (Read 2863 times)

Offline NicoleC

• Adventurer
How do I find a job in America?
« on: April 26, 2011, 06:16:22 PM »
I'm in my second year of teaching with EPIK and I'm considering my plans for next year. 
I've come to realize that I am not a teacher.   It's not something I would like
to pursue or even consider doing, next year.  So I'm thinking of applying to universities and jobs back
home.

I'm also looking into moving to Australia or the USA, to work.  I have a lot of family
in Australia and so that seems to be the better option for me but I can't help but want
to live out my American Dream :D

My problem is that I have no idea where to start.  Does anyone know a good recruiting agency
I could use, any useful websites (I'm already on monster.com), or any advice for me.
By the way I'm a South African and I have a double major in science.  My majors are Biochemistry
and Microbiology.

Ochodnid

Re: How do I find a job in America?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 06:30:12 PM »
What would you like to do exactly?

Offline crawlingkingsnake

• Waygookin
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 06:41:31 PM »
enjoy teaching english.

Offline NicoleC

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 06:49:17 PM »
something in my field.  I think food or pharmaceutical industry, where I could do quality control or manufacturing. Microbiology Labs, blood testing.  Even industries that manufacture antifungal and antibacterial products like sanitizers or detergents.

Offline jgmenator

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 06:53:28 PM »
Haha, kinda in the same position myself.

I took the job here originally because I had no idea what I wanted to do after college. Graduated in German & Studio Art, but not really passionate about either to move towards a career in it.

On my 4th year here and wondering if I wanna keep doing it...
But basically until you find a job/career that you're passionate about, and the job market back home improves, then the position here is pretty danged good.

Offline woman-king

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 07:03:02 PM »
In general, being in something science-related probably has more job potential than arts and humanities. 
I've also heard that Australia's economy is doing significantly better than the States' these days--though with the natural disasters in that part of the world lately stuff could have changed, not sure. 

Offline tfuller

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 08:10:56 PM »
I'm in my second year of teaching with EPIK and I'm considering my plans for next year. 
I've come to realize that I am not a teacher.   It's not something I would like
to pursue or even consider doing, next year.  So I'm thinking of applying to universities and jobs back
home.

I'm also looking into moving to Australia or the USA, to work.  I have a lot of family
in Australia and so that seems to be the better option for me but I can't help but want
to live out my American Dream :D

My problem is that I have no idea where to start.  Does anyone know a good recruiting agency
I could use, any useful websites (I'm already on monster.com), or any advice for me.
By the way I'm a South African and I have a double major in science.  My majors are Biochemistry
and Microbiology.

Australia is in an amazing position at the moment with the mining boom just years around the corner. The whole 'rivers of gold' situation from around 20 years ago won't happen again, but the chances of landing a science related position there at the moment is much much better than the US. Natural disasters did happen, and are sure to happen more often, but they are only really affecting tourism agriculture and they govt has moved to stablize the economy by means of a 'flood tax' and various other measures.

With an unemployment rate at around 5% and due to go lower in the next few years (and the exchange rate set to stay so high compared to the USD), i would put that American dream on hold and get some experience in your chosen field there. 

seek.com.au
careerone.com.au
mycareer.com.au

« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 08:15:45 PM by tfuller »