August 20, 2017, 09:27:10 AM

Author Topic: Hagwon Owner Bull - Advice appreciated.  (Read 951 times)

Offline ThePolska

• Explorer
Hagwon Owner Bull - Advice appreciated.
« on: August 09, 2017, 05:55:50 PM »
tl;dr at the end. For now, long story.

So I've been working at this hagwon since March (4th job in Korea). My boss has only paid me on time once because he's terrible at finances. I've been giving him a pass up until recently. My former manager (foreigner) left abroad in June and is struggling now because of money the boss still owes him. He's not the only former employee who the boss still owes, there are many others.

A few weeks ago, as a safeguard, I had my boss (generally a pushover) sign a contract addendum which stated he would from here on pay me on time, as well as pay all outstanding pension payments by August 15th (yes, he's been dodging every payment since I started, yes, it was without my knowledge until my manager told me the boss did this to him). If he doesn't pay me, it's written that he'll give me a letter of release and I quit working same day. He signed it, immediately said, "I hope I can keep this promise".  :huh: Really dude?

Today, boss takes me to lunch to talk to me about possible downsizing, next term, yadda yadda. I ask him about our agreement since the deadlines are approaching. He said he could pay me my salary on time, but my pension payment has to wait until the end of the month because, wait for it... he hasn't been paying into anyone's pension. I guess paying into only one employee's account tips off the Pension Office.

Anyway, I went off on him saying he signed an agreement that he'd pay me on the dates specified and that if the money isn't where it needs to be, then he has to give me a release letter. He started insisting he could pay me personally. I said I wanted everything done legally. He said he'd give me the money personally, then take it back once he paid the money to the pension office at the end of the month. But he always uses "the end of the month" as an excuse. Plus, I think taking any money like that would look sketchy on my part so I don't want to do it, but I'm also worried he might transfer it anyway.

So I said I'd think about it. Thinking of telling him I quit on the 15th if I haven't been paid and expect a LOR, and give him until the end of the month to pay the Pension Office before I report his ass. Oh, and P.S. - he's been dangling a possible Head Teacher position in front of me for a couple months as a carrot to get me to stay. Found out he already offered it to someone else, and I'm done dealing with his crap anyway.

tl;dr: Boss always pay late, never paid pension. Made him sign a contract agreeing to pay everything by August 15th or give me a LOR. He said he can't. I wanna quit and report him at the end of the month.

Thoughts? Advice greatly appreciated!

Offline ThePolska

• Explorer
Re: Hagwon Owner Bull - Advice appreciated.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 06:07:44 PM »
Also, worried he won't uphold his end of the contract and give me a LOR, but I suppose I could threaten him with reporting him to the Pension Office. Still worried he could screw me over visa-wise. Good plan? Yay or nay?

Offline m.corless

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 01:56:55 AM »
Absolutely threaten to report him to the pension office, I've heard their fines are no joke. Especially if he is already struggling.

Or rather than threaten, actually do call the Pension Office and "ask their opinion."

Offline turningsteel

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 11:51:38 AM »
Yeah get the pension office and the labor board involved. Also, for next time --- Don't go along with a boss that won't pay you on time. The first time that paycheck comes up short, that's it, put your foot down. The longer you let it go on results in this kind of situation. For him not to have paid into anyone's pension, there is no way he has the money sitting somewhere to fix that. He's fucked. It'll be squeezing blood from a stone.

Offline cescudero95

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 01:54:56 PM »
By the way on this topic, how does one check their pension balance with the pension office?  Is it possible to view online?

Offline nonplayablecharacter

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 04:00:57 PM »
I think you can call 02-2186-4007 to check your pension.

OP, I'm so sorry to hear about your situation. I would be really upset and stressed.

Honestly, I can't believe these hagwon owners open their business without enough money to pay what they promised. It's disgusting

Offline peachkitten

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 08:30:20 PM »
Honestly, I can't believe these hagwon owners open their business without enough money to pay what they promised. It's disgusting

I agree. It honestly disgusts me. I still haven't been paid all of the about 6 million won my former boss owes me from last November. I agree with others and for anyone else who finds themselves in your shoes, put your foot down early. I kept giving my boss chances and now I've had to go through so much just to get what I worked for. And I still haven't gotten 1/3 of it.

I'm actually thinking of making a post about it because a part of me just wants to let the rest of it go because of the extreme stress and anxiety it's causing me, but another part of me wants every single won I am owed.

Anyway good luck with your situation OP! I really hope you get all the money you are owed!

Offline Cyanea

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 06:11:24 PM »
I agree with others and for anyone else who finds themselves in your shoes, put your foot down early.

How soon can you quit a job after they fail to pay you (without wrecking your visa)?

Is it 14 days?
Catch my drift?

Offline nonplayablecharacter

• Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 06:21:30 PM »
Quick correction, if you want to check your pension you can call 02-2176-8707 if you're a US citizen. I called and checked earlier just cause I used to work for an employer that was a tad bit shady and I wanted to double check that everything was ok.

The person on the other end will have a long greeting in Korean, don't worry. Just say "Hello, I'd like to check my pension, please."

They will ask for your Alien Reg. number, confirm your name, then tell you the amount in your pension fund.

Took literally 1 minute according to my phone call log on my mobile.  :laugh:

I found the number here, you can find other countries on this list:
http://english.nps.or.kr/jsppage/english/contact/telePhone.jsp

Recent Lesson Plans

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment