August 20, 2017, 12:59:12 PM

Author Topic: China VPN ban - workarounds  (Read 593 times)

Offline Mr G

• Veteran
China VPN ban - workarounds
« on: August 06, 2017, 07:48:17 PM »
For those living in China - how bad is this new ban on VPNs? It seems iOS people are screwed if they need a VPN but is Android still okay?

Or...if Google maps can't be used - are there any maps apps over there that can be used by someone with 0 Chinese ability?

Offline teacher1988

• Veteran
Re: China VPN ban - workarounds
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 08:34:13 PM »
I might be talking out of my ass but from my understanding VPN apps should only be banned in the Ch App Store, which I assume you're not on anyways, so you should still be able to dl it from the US, UK etc App Stores; they only have jurisdiction over the Ch App Store. They could technically block access to App Stores from other countries but I highly doubt that has happened.
I remember dling apps from the US App Store a while back when I visited.

Offline sweetkat

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 01:25:05 AM »
if you have an iphone, apple maps in china is amazing.  After moving from Korea, where the apple maps was spotty at best, apple maps in china offers transit information and you can order the chinese didi taxi in english from right inside the maps app, as long as you have we chat wallet or alipay set up.  You can download vpns from other countries app stores just not China. A lot of the vpns i use have been switching to download from their website.  And if their website is blocked, i can usually contact them via email and they have workarounds.  Rule of thumb have more than one vpn always ready. 

Offline KimDuHan

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 05:21:49 AM »
VPNS still work you just have to juggle a bit.

Tor and other alternative operating systems bypass the whole ban

Offline Mr G

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 03:13:06 PM »
Thanks guys - I didn't even think that its the Chinese app store only and not a case of no VPNs working at all on iOS in China. Good to know - as is the info about Apple maps!

Offline sweetkat

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 01:34:03 PM »
First thing you do when you get off the plane, is get a sim card.  Even wifi here requires a phone number to access free wifi.  I wished someone had told me that.    Everything needs a phone number, from alipay to wechat.  some starbucks don't require a password for wifi, but always assume you will need a phone number/

Online williethewimp

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 11:04:14 PM »
ExpressVPN works fine and should work fine for the foreseeable, my advice is download the VPN apps before you come to China.

So far no problems but I am expecting some come next month when the Chinese Communist Party has their big Party Congress where the leadership will be decided. Heard a couple of years ago when a minor party event was going on vpn access became tough

Offline Mr G

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 01:14:43 AM »
Good advice - I'll look into getting a VPN before I head out. Any recommendations for a sim to go for sweetcat? Maybe one of the carriers there are better than others or have better prepaid rates...

Offline confusedsafferinkorea

• The Legend
  • The only thing that is constant in life, is change
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 04:29:55 PM »
Simcards...... I use China Mobile, no problems, China Telecom is the biggest and China Unicom the smallest. Never heard anyone complain about any of them. 6 the one, half dozen the other.
Everything is not as it seems.

No one owes you anything.... get over it.

NEVER think a failure is the end of the world, it is the beginning of a new opportunity.

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• The Legend
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 04:34:10 PM »
There is a free VPN on the Apple Store called Betternet, download before entering China. Works very well, use it as a backup for Express VPN

NEVER think a failure is the end of the world, it is the beginning of a new opportunity.

Offline sweetkat

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 12:42:36 AM »
I use china mobile. i have a plan 100 rmb a month and I get 3 gb data, no calling.  i just pay per call because everyone uses wechat for calling.  China mobile is awesome and always gives me an extra 3 gb a month.  They also send you texts when you are close to using all your data as well theres an app you can use to see where you are at. 

• The Legend
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 06:31:30 PM »
I use china mobile. i have a plan 100 rmb a month and I get 3 gb data, no calling.  i just pay per call because everyone uses wechat for calling.  China mobile is awesome and always gives me an extra 3 gb a month.  They also send you texts when you are close to using all your data as well theres an app you can use to see where you are at.

Yeah, I like China Mobile, often get freebies.

Online williethewimp

• Super Waygook
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2017, 08:31:00 PM »
I'm on China Unicom and pay way too much like 200 RMB but for like 8GB of data, think my old school in Chongqing screwed me.

School here in Shanghai wants me to get a Shanghai mobile number for whatever reason. If I can get a cheaper rate I'll do it

Recent Lesson Plans

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment