October 21, 2017, 01:31:09 AM

Author Topic: Summer is here! How are you spending your desk warming time?  (Read 2450 times)

Offline CJ

• Veteran
Re: Summer is here! How are you spending your desk warming time?
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2017, 04:18:58 PM »
I have managed to keep up to date with the content from the people I have subscribed to on Youtube, but as I'm not an American, I might unsubscribe from Mark Dice as there's only so much American politics I can take and I'm well over watching CNN cut their own throat with BS news.

I've planned and worked out itineraries for several holidays I'll never take apart from Kerala in India which looks great.

I've researched my next watch purchase.

Holiday starts in 3 hours.

May I ask which watch? I am debating a watch purchase myself, but figure I should wait a while. I have a few "vacations" coming up, so I will put those in the front of the line...

Omega Seamaster 300M in blue. It's a beautiful piece.

What is your budget and what kind of watch are you looking to buy?

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2017, 04:48:10 PM »
Honestly, I am not sure which watch I would. There is one on the budget end that I may go ahead and get. I saw it a while back and just can't get away from liking the blue of the face. It is the Armani Luigi Blue with the gunmetal mesh.

I saw the one you will get, and I must say that it is quite impressive. Should make a gift to yourself.

Offline michaelpthompson25

• Explorer
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2017, 05:16:43 PM »
Continuing the watch topic...

I admittedly don't know a lot about watches, I've only owned a couple, though I'm quite fond of the MVMT Gunmetal Sandstone. Comes in 40/45 mm, the 45 is a tad large but I've grown to like it.

https://www.mvmtwatches.com/collections/best-sellers?view=original&optmvmt=1

Offline CJ

• Veteran
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2017, 07:01:40 PM »
Honestly, I am not sure which watch I would. There is one on the budget end that I may go ahead and get. I saw it a while back and just can't get away from liking the blue of the face. It is the Armani Luigi Blue with the gunmetal mesh.

I saw the one you will get, and I must say that it is quite impressive. Should make a gift to yourself.

Looks nice.

When you enter the world of mechanical Swiss watches, you have to decide what's more important; travel or a shiny expensive thing on your wrist. I've made my choice this year.

Happy holidays.

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2017, 11:16:55 AM »
I have managed to keep up to date with the content from the people I have subscribed to on Youtube, but as I'm not an American, I might unsubscribe from Mark Dice as there's only so much American politics I can take and I'm well over watching CNN cut their own throat with BS news.

I've planned and worked out itineraries for several holidays I'll never take apart from Kerala in India which looks great.

May I ask which watch? I am debating a watch purchase myself, but figure I should wait a while. I have a few "vacations" coming up, so I will put those in the front of the line...

Which watch do you kids recommend?  It seems anything decent is in the 150 to 300 K range.  (Not talking Rolexes and crap here.)  Sports watches, maybe digital with the traditional time fingers (hands, whatever you call them.)  I had a Timex which got broke by accident.  Bought a Casio here almost a decade ago.  But, old sports strap gone.  (Koreans only have leather replacement straps.  Banged up a bit too.  Battery changed out a couple of times.)

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2017, 11:32:52 AM »
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline CJ

• Veteran
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2017, 12:27:46 PM »

Which watch do you kids recommend?  It seems anything decent is in the 150 to 300 K range.  (Not talking Rolexes and crap here.)  Sports watches, maybe digital with the traditional time fingers (hands, whatever you call them.)  I had a Timex which got broke by accident.  Bought a Casio here almost a decade ago.  But, old sports strap gone.  (Koreans only have leather replacement straps.  Banged up a bit too.  Battery changed out a couple of times.)

Not a kid this end.

Bang for buck, Seiko is hard to beat, especially their diver watches.

Check out these addictive Youtube channels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOYb2X9fSG0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvpvftxsBfU&t=895s

However, if you're over 35, it's time to have a decent mechanical watch on your wrist. Look into Oris diver watches. You can pick them up for about $1,000 second hand in mint condition, but do look into import tax issues. I bought a Tissot watch years ago in Korea and I remember getting slugged with taxes.

Offline SteveBruce

• Adventurer
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2017, 12:40:26 PM »
Reading, sitting here in resentment and research on life after Korea

Offline Maclean

• Veteran

Offline denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2017, 11:39:50 AM »
I'm sitting here at my desk.  I can hear the steady rain outside the open window, my desk fan, and the cicadas.  I'm about to fall asleep.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 11:44:29 AM by denimdaze »

Offline CJ

• Veteran
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2017, 10:22:39 AM »
A typical desk warming day.

I'll start by staring open-mouthed and aimlessly into space with a little bit of dribble running down the side of my mouth with the occasional sip of my Maxim coffee, which I hate but it's become my morning routine.

I'll then look over my contract for the 20th time just to see if I've missed something and then calculate again my holidays for two options: a) spilt b) non-split  and decide which option is best

I'll then look at the time every few minutes and wonder what lunch will be today

I'll then have lunch and go for a short walk and listen to the cicadas and say to myself " Gee, cicadas sure makes it feel like summer!".

I'll then go over my plan for my 2-hour lesson

Do lesson.

Go home.

Offline Pattinsons

• Super Waygook
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2017, 12:31:11 PM »
I'm planning on leaving once my contract is up in March. So I've enrolled in a teacher certification program.

Offline xinteach

• Explorer
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2017, 01:50:55 PM »
My contract is up in 2 weeks - no renewal, so I'm having a happy deskwarming time myself.

I'm currently braiding (weaving? whatever you do with cord) and beading 35 bracelet/dangly things for my 6th grade students. I was much closer to my grade 5 classes but there's 50 of them and I'm not sure I have enough cord for everyone.

And listening to some summer tunes while working on this stuff.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2017, 02:10:33 PM »
Which watch do you kids recommend?
My kids are all pretty unanimous about recommending this watch:

I owned a pretty cool casio calculator watch in primary school, and these days I'm thinking of getting a fitbit smartwatch which is basically its modern-day equivalent. I've had some pretty huge expenditures this summer though, so I think I'll wait to bleed out the last drops from my bank account until later in the year when it cools off a bit and I go running more regularly.

Offline ZeroAlucard27

• Explorer
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2017, 11:33:32 AM »
Being a pretty hardcore gamer, I'm watching a lot of gaming series. I love fighting games, and Maximilian Dood has been giving wall-to-wall coverage of Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite (out September 19th), and Dragonball FighterZ, plus I heard there's a new Monster Hunter game coming out. So yay to all those. ^_^

I also just started watching The Completionist, a game review show that rates game quality and if you should do everything in the game or not.

I've done lots of research on teacher certification back home, and I've also asked my mom about it (though it's been a while since she got certified) and wondering how I'm going to fill the gap financially until I get steady work. I'm desperate to not go back to retail.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment