November 19, 2017, 09:14:44 AM

Author Topic: Summer is here! How are you spending your desk warming time?  (Read 2572 times)

Offline michaelpthompson25

• Explorer
As the title states, what are you doing?

Offline emilysu

• Adventurer
Re: Summer is here! How are you spending your desk warming time?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 07:48:07 AM »
Thankfully only have 2 desk warming days due to my camp schedules! So... will be working on finalizing camp materials!
k o r s h a r e . o r g

Offline Dhazaras

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 08:14:13 AM »
Spent all this week deskwarming, prepping for camp.

Still waiting for my school to decide whether I have half days deskwarming or full days.

Either way, gonna plan out the final two months of my contract (all my lesson plans for elementary and middle&high school) and study a bit of French while I'm at it.

I usually also bring my yoga mat to work and either do yoga for 1 hour- 1 1/2 hours in the english room or the dance room.  :undecided:

Offline sharding

• Waygookin
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 08:14:54 AM »
I was planning to finish up camp prep for next week but school has decided that electricity isn't important in the English room. Instead I'm sitting reading a book in the teachers office.

Offline Dhazaras

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 08:26:04 AM »
I was planning to finish up camp prep for next week but school has decided that electricity isn't important in the English room. Instead I'm sitting reading a book in the teachers office.

Who needs electricity when you've got diligence?

Offline sharding

• Waygookin
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 09:04:36 AM »
Who needs electricity when you've got diligence?

Diligence is great but unfortunately it's not what powers my computer so it's pretty difficult to edit ppts.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 09:06:08 AM by sharding »

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 09:19:01 AM »
This week "Camp" turned into deskwarming due to most students having previous engagements at PC rooms  TT TT   So...

During school hours: Read and correct English essays, wander around the school, eat snacks, nap, waygook.org, youtube, netflix,

After school: BIKE, BEACH, BEER, BBQ  ;D

Offline MaximusPrime

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 10:15:51 AM »
today and tomorrow are classes. Then 1 week of camp. Vacation and when I get back classes star again.... No real deskwarming for me this summer. I felt it lasted forever last summer....

Offline denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 12:53:03 PM »
My desk warming starts in two weeks.  I'll plan lessons and activities for the Free Semester & question my sanity about my decision to renew for another year.

Offline hiyase269

• Adventurer
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 02:05:53 PM »
I'm not really sure where the term "desk-warming" came from but since I'm at work but not teaching then lesson plans it is. Guess I'm one of those staunch types who decides to do work at work (and hit up waygook.org the best site ever!).

I remember when I first came to Korea, it was at time they were still doing Saturday school and GEPIK contracts had only like 5 -7 days of vacation for NETs (can't remember exactly). But it was definitely difficult 3-4 week camps, 2 weeks "desk-warming". I had to use that time wisely for the next semester. Things have changed for the better I think, I usually teach at a middle school, so, 1 week camp, 3 days desk warming, 2 weeks vacation then back to school.

Offline Epistemology

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Philosopher extraordinaire
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2017, 02:47:33 PM »
I had one day of deskwarming - today. Camp starts tomorrow and I'm off on vacation in a fortnight.

Truth be told, my mind already checked out for the holidays at the end of last week as classes were winding down. Spent today putting some final touches to the camp lessons and such
Away an bile yer heid ya numpty,ye dinnae ken whit yer talkin aboot.

Offline amyb72

• Adventurer
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2017, 04:50:14 PM »
Studying Korean !   :smiley:

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2017, 07:52:43 PM »
One week of paternity leave followed by two weeks of vacation, then two weeks of camp during which I'm free to go at the ring of the bell, followed by two *more* vacation days means no deskwarming at all and a lot of baby-bonding time for this guy! (Though I read babies don't start building attachment until about the 6 month mark. :sad: I'm not building any credit with her by changing all these diapers, apparently. It does go a long way in *my own* attachment building, however~)

Offline neon

• Newgookin
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2017, 10:34:11 PM »
I haven't started official desk warming time yet, but I have time from when my camp classes end (after 4th period), to 4:30, to do whatever I want.  ;D

I have taken to invading the dusty, unused "English cafe" behind my English classroom to look for materials. I have found student work from 10 years ago, hahah, and yellowed English-Korean dictionaries from 1983.

I also found 2 dices, 2 board games, some Bingo mats, and numbered Jenga blocks, so I'm excited to make my lessons more interactive and fun this coming semester.

Today, I spent the time organizing the Jenga blocks into full sets of numbers, so that I can easily create numbered lists of conversation questions for students to practice. There were many missing numbers, and a lot of repeating numbers like 11 and 18, so I did a lot of cutting and pasting of labels over the blocks. It sounds so silly, but I felt very accomplished after that, haha.  :laugh:

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2017, 12:33:41 AM »
I haven't started official desk warming time yet, but I have time from when my camp classes end (after 4th period), to 4:30, to do whatever I want.  ;D

I have taken to invading the dusty, unused "English cafe" behind my English classroom to look for materials. I have found student work from 10 years ago, hahah, and yellowed English-Korean dictionaries from 1983.

I also found 2 dices, 2 board games, some Bingo mats, and numbered Jenga blocks, so I'm excited to make my lessons more interactive and fun this coming semester.

Today, I spent the time organizing the Jenga blocks into full sets of numbers, so that I can easily create numbered lists of conversation questions for students to practice. There were many missing numbers, and a lot of repeating numbers like 11 and 18, so I did a lot of cutting and pasting of labels over the blocks. It sounds so silly, but I felt very accomplished after that, haha.  :laugh:

We have a room like that off our English room, but there's no heating or cooling system in it, so it's too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter to be too useful for much of anything but storage (though they did try to move the foreign teacher office in their at one point). After school programs in the English room - and a busybody tech support woman - make it less than ideal for putting your head down, either. But if your room doesn't suffer from any of these setbacks, try to spiff it up and make it your own!

(Also, 'dice' is already plural, the singular being 'die'. :wink: It reminds me of how some Koreans say 'Monthses' ;D)

Offline traversing

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2017, 07:56:09 AM »
The inside of the school is being painted and there's other misc construction happening all over my school so there are no camps this summer.

Yesterday I started making worksheets for the book "I'm a Shark" by Bob Shea, which I plan on teaching for several weeks in one of my two after school classes every week. After I finish the worksheets I'll continue with ppts and creating games for the book. I'll do the same for the book "Vegetables in Underwear" by Jared Chapman for my other after school class.

After today I have vacation until the 9th.

Other things I plan on doing are
- regular classes grade 3-6 (making/gathering visuals, writing focused games, ppts, and warm-ups)
- Finish fleshing out what was going to be my summer camp (space themed) to be used for next summer.
- I want to make a holiday themed camp as well, to be used during a winter camp.
- I'm using Wanikani to brush up on my Japanese Kanji when it's available.
- I want to make some white boards (about 30). (hard laminate a bunch of white pieces of paper.)
- work on my needle felting (when I just need a break for teaching stuff), I'm also currently reading Dune by Frank Herbert

I don't expect to accomplish everything on my list, these are just my goals.

Offline Kazuya

• Newgookin
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2017, 12:38:09 PM »
Listening to podcasts, chaining pre-mixed office sugar ass coffee and trying not to shit myself . Sometimes I turn my fan setting from 3 to 2.

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2017, 12:47:36 PM »
I have camp everyday, today I only had it in the morning. So here I sit.... eating all snacks I bought for camp... trying to figure out what movie to watch
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline CJ

• Veteran
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2017, 12:58:30 PM »
I have managed to keep up to date with the content from the people I have subscribed to on Youtube, but as I'm not an American, I might unsubscribe from Mark Dice as there's only so much American politics I can take and I'm well over watching CNN cut their own throat with BS news.

I've planned and worked out itineraries for several holidays I'll never take apart from Kerala in India which looks great.

I've researched my next watch purchase.

Holiday starts in 3 hours.

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2017, 01:09:35 PM »
I have managed to keep up to date with the content from the people I have subscribed to on Youtube, but as I'm not an American, I might unsubscribe from Mark Dice as there's only so much American politics I can take and I'm well over watching CNN cut their own throat with BS news.

I've planned and worked out itineraries for several holidays I'll never take apart from Kerala in India which looks great.

I've researched my next watch purchase.

Holiday starts in 3 hours.

May I ask which watch? I am debating a watch purchase myself, but figure I should wait a while. I have a few "vacations" coming up, so I will put those in the front of the line...