November 19, 2017, 02:56:05 PM

Author Topic: Funniest President Ever  (Read 1154 times)

Offline stan rogers

• Expert Waygook

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
Re: Funniest President Ever
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 06:32:44 PM »

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 10:11:01 PM »
Reagan and Kennedy in recent memory.

Lincoln all time.

Offline kojinsing

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 08:33:32 AM »
The job must have really beat him up, because he is no where near this funny or entertaining anymore. I mean his administration is entertaining, but he isn't that funny anymore.

Offline turningsteel

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 09:06:44 AM »
 :laugh: :laugh: That was great and the youtube comments are even better because they're in earnest. They really believe in him. It's like he's channeling Andy Kaufman.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 10:22:25 AM »
Obama was funny like Bob Hope- great with writers and scripted work. Mediocre improv skills (he can get an occasional one in).

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 10:47:02 AM »
Oops. Forgot to remove my Reasearch Hat..:police:

The Definitive List:

http://www.gq.com/story/funniest-presidents-ranked

I'm surprised Teddy wasn't ranked higher. I can't claim to know the guy, but he certainly has the look and personality of someone who can enjoy a good joke, and dish it out too. I don't know how vigorous *this guy's* research was, tho.

Regardless, you're pretty spot on, Mr. D~

Offline Baby Aubergine

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 01:33:24 PM »
He was & is certainly an amazingly charismatic guy. You could see how much that did for him vs. someone like Hillary, both in direct competition & in terms of how her losing 2016 campaign compared to his winning ones for presentation and reception.

Anyway.

If you can separate a man from the consequences of his hideous beliefs, then sorry, but the current president is by far the funniest there's ever been.

Online Savant

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 01:49:14 PM »
When Trump said that Americans would get the bestest health insurance plan ever...that was pretty funny.

Obama got jokes, though.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 02:03:14 PM »
Trump is actually fairly funny. Not in the Reagan-Kennedy-Lincoln style of wit, but he certainly has a way as well. It certainly is an ahole brand of humor, but the fact that he doesn't care about standard norms, and his skill with twitter (contrary to what his haters believe, he is really good at using it to push issues and fire up his supporters), means he is funny in an internet troll sort of way. He is also pretty quick-witted as we saw in the debates (which is also prime evidence he is neither insane nor suffering from dementia or whatever).

To paraphrase comic Jim Norton, Trump is that guy you know who laughs at stuff you're not supposed to laugh at, which is probably why you're good friends with him to begin with.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 02:05:05 PM by Mr.DeMartino »

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 03:13:07 PM »
Trump is actually fairly funny. Not in the Reagan-Kennedy-Lincoln style of wit, but he certainly has a way as well. It certainly is an ahole brand of humor, but the fact that he doesn't care about standard norms, and his skill with twitter (contrary to what his haters believe, he is really good at using it to push issues and fire up his supporters), means he is funny in an internet troll sort of way. He is also pretty quick-witted as we saw in the debates (which is also prime evidence he is neither insane nor suffering from dementia or whatever).

Manipulative Skill = Clever Humor? Effective Troll = Funny Comedian? How funny is Aurata, in your view?

I failed to see his quick wit in any of the debates. "You'd be in jail!"? Hilarious?

To paraphrase comic Jim Norton, Trump is that guy you know who laughs at stuff you're not supposed to laugh at, which is probably why you're good friends with him to begin with.

You're thinking of Billy Bush.

He started out decently here, but lost the crowd a few minutes in.

Low energy.

"Did you hear the one about the gimp reporter?
He looks like a retard!
That's it. That's the joke."

[roars of applause accompanied by a 'Lock her up!' battle cry.]
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 03:16:07 PM by donovan »

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 03:54:37 PM »
Manipulative Skill = Clever Humor? Effective Troll = Funny Comedian? How funny is Aurata, in your view?

I failed to see his quick wit in any of the debates. "You'd be in jail!"? Hilarious?

The Republican debates, like his "Rosie O'Donnell" answer, his slamming of Hugh Hewitt, his "low energy" jabs at Jeb! As for the debates against Clinton, the play going around where Trump is cast as a woman and Clinton as a man shows that clearly he was the quicker of the two.

I'm not putting him in even Obama's (or even Clinton's) class as a comedian when it comes to delivery, but he has a certain style of humor that works. The humor of an ahole is still humor and he pulls it off well. No other politician will go outside the norms that have been established, that in itself gives him comedic strength. A lot of his comedy also comes through actions. He simply doesn't care. Think various "ahole" characters on TV who get laughs because they do or say stuff that is crude and outside the norm, often simplistic, but still effective.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2017, 06:48:25 PM »
Again, I don't think that's humour, at least not intentionally, and to consider someone humourous it must be intentional. He called Jeb 'low energy' to cut him down, not to be funny. It got laughs from people unhappy with the political establishment who appreciated his being cut down to size. Charlie Chaplin got laughs for prat falls and can be considered funny because they were entirely intentional and done *for* the laugh. An old man who loses his balance while walking down the street and falls in dramatic fashion might be funny to some cruel-minded people, but as he didn't *try* to fall down, even the people who laughed at him wouldn't say that the old man has a humourous personality because he fell. A schoolyard bully calls a weakling a fa**ot and steals his lunch money. He does this to exhibit his power. His posse might see this spectacle and laugh, but that doesn't make the bully funny for doing so. Trump fires James Comey. 'Hilarious!' some people might say, but even to Trump, that act was no joke. It's a power play. The writers of 'All in the Family' were funny. A real life Archie Bunker is not.

(All spelling in this post was intentional. See, I'm humourous!)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 06:53:05 PM by donovan »

Offline leaponover

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2017, 06:54:17 PM »
I thought Reagan was pretty dang funny.  He's got a great list of one liners.

My favorite:  "Status Quo, ya know, is Latin for "the mess we're in."

Offline Baby Aubergine

• Super Waygook
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2017, 08:12:46 PM »
Trump's funniest intentional trait is the nicknames he keeps giving people.

"Cryin' Chuck Schumer" for example; it isn't even clever at all, it's just funny and dumb and Schumer along with the whole Dem elite deserves mockery anyway

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2017, 11:03:04 PM »
Again, I don't think that's humour, at least not intentionally, and to consider someone humourous it must be intentional. He called Jeb 'low energy' to cut him down, not to be funny. It got laughs from people unhappy with the political establishment who appreciated his being cut down to size. Charlie Chaplin got laughs for prat falls and can be considered funny because they were entirely intentional and done *for* the laugh. An old man who loses his balance while walking down the street and falls in dramatic fashion might be funny to some cruel-minded people, but as he didn't *try* to fall down, even the people who laughed at him wouldn't say that the old man has a humourous personality because he fell. A schoolyard bully calls a weakling a fa**ot and steals his lunch money. He does this to exhibit his power. His posse might see this spectacle and laugh, but that doesn't make the bully funny for doing so. Trump fires James Comey. 'Hilarious!' some people might say, but even to Trump, that act was no joke. It's a power play. The writers of 'All in the Family' were funny. A real life Archie Bunker is not.

Humor is not universal. If there was a liberal Trump who said the same things, only with certain targets changed, a lot of people who say "Trump isn't funny" would laugh at that. You see this when certain people break with liberal orthodoxy and the insults that get hurled their way. Suddenly hateful, homophobic "jokes" get tossed at them. And you know what? A lot of them are funny.

I also think that Trump absolutely comes up with them to be funny and as part of a deliberate plan. This is a person who has built a brand and an image across multiple platforms. At some point you can't just say "dumb luck" or that "people are stupid and/or mean." Case in point as people mentioned were the nicknames he gave people. Some of these were off the cuff, some he A-B tested on the campaign trail. Low Energy Jeb. Lyin Ted. Little Marco. Pocahontas. Hillary lacks "the stamina". These were astute observations of the person's faults at some sort of instinctual level that human's have. He also has been adept in creating this sort of meta-inside joke element among his supporters (that overlaps a lot with his trolling). Case in point would be the multiple Rick Rolls that he's done (including a literal Rick Roll at the convention), his Taco Bowl tweet, and is Mika-Joe tweet war. It blends contempt with humor.

For example, Hillary lacking "the stamina" was perhaps his most intelligent and well-crafted move. Trump had obviously heard about the rumors of Hillary's health and also noticed that she couldn't match him with the work effort he put in campaigning. He cleverly laid that trap and on September 11th, 2016, it bore its fruit when Hillary collapsed and had to be hauled like a slab of beef into her van. That to me was the single biggest turning point of the post-primary campaign. People had ridiculed Trump for insulting her. They ridiculed him for promoting "health conspiracies". They said it was all garbage and just fake news by the alt-right. Well, at 9-firckin-11 Hillary collapsed in front of an entire nation and Trump was proved right. His nickname was proved right. The media were proved liars. The people who said he was just being insulting had to eat it. Were it not for the Access Hollywood tape, Trump would have probably taken Nevada, Minnesota, New Hampshire and maybe one of Virginia/Colorado/NM. It was an easy victory with Hillary collapsing and the 'Grab em' vid just made it a little close.

The man knows what he is doing. People who say he has dementia or is stupid are underestimating him and because of that, its no surprise he won.

As for Archie Bunker (or Eric Cartman) or whoever, they clearly are funny given their popularity. The fact is a lot of people, whether they want to admit, laugh at pain and misery. It goes back to the 3 Stooges. A guy getting hit on the head with a hammer or burned by an iron is funny. Kids love it and we all retain that sense of humor in the deeper grey matter of our brains. Trump taps into that. It's a different kind of comedy than the polished delivery of an Obama or Reagan or the folksy stories and witty remarks of Lincoln, but it IS humor. It's not particularly high-level or skilled, but he certainly has the ability to use it. There's so many different styles of comedy out there and Trump does reflect a certain style.

I do wonder how long the act can go on. At some point he's going to have to get things done. Then again he might not if the Dems keep on with the inept resistance that they've offered. 

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2017, 12:31:51 AM »
I will continue to disagree.

I did find this funny...

...though again, I see it as a display of dominance, not overt humour.

Offline jmain

• Explorer
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2017, 09:01:57 AM »

Humor is not universal. If there was a liberal Trump who said the same things, only with certain targets changed, a lot of people who say "Trump isn't funny" would laugh at that. You see this when certain people break with liberal orthodoxy and the insults that get hurled their way. Suddenly hateful, homophobic "jokes" get tossed at them. And you know what? A lot of them are funny.

I also think that Trump absolutely comes up with them to be funny and as part of a deliberate plan. This is a person who has built a brand and an image across multiple platforms. At some point you can't just say "dumb luck" or that "people are stupid and/or mean." Case in point as people mentioned were the nicknames he gave people. Some of these were off the cuff, some he A-B tested on the campaign trail. Low Energy Jeb. Lyin Ted. Little Marco. Pocahontas. Hillary lacks "the stamina". These were astute observations of the person's faults at some sort of instinctual level that human's have. He also has been adept in creating this sort of meta-inside joke element among his supporters (that overlaps a lot with his trolling). Case in point would be the multiple Rick Rolls that he's done (including a literal Rick Roll at the convention), his Taco Bowl tweet, and is Mika-Joe tweet war. It blends contempt with humor.

For example, Hillary lacking "the stamina" was perhaps his most intelligent and well-crafted move. Trump had obviously heard about the rumors of Hillary's health and also noticed that she couldn't match him with the work effort he put in campaigning. He cleverly laid that trap and on September 11th, 2016, it bore its fruit when Hillary collapsed and had to be hauled like a slab of beef into her van. That to me was the single biggest turning point of the post-primary campaign. People had ridiculed Trump for insulting her. They ridiculed him for promoting "health conspiracies". They said it was all garbage and just fake news by the alt-right. Well, at 9-firckin-11 Hillary collapsed in front of an entire nation and Trump was proved right. His nickname was proved right. The media were proved liars. The people who said he was just being insulting had to eat it. Were it not for the Access Hollywood tape, Trump would have probably taken Nevada, Minnesota, New Hampshire and maybe one of Virginia/Colorado/NM. It was an easy victory with Hillary collapsing and the 'Grab em' vid just made it a little close.

The man knows what he is doing. People who say he has dementia or is stupid are underestimating him and because of that, its no surprise he won.

As for Archie Bunker (or Eric Cartman) or whoever, they clearly are funny given their popularity. The fact is a lot of people, whether they want to admit, laugh at pain and misery. It goes back to the 3 Stooges. A guy getting hit on the head with a hammer or burned by an iron is funny. Kids love it and we all retain that sense of humor in the deeper grey matter of our brains. Trump taps into that. It's a different kind of comedy than the polished delivery of an Obama or Reagan or the folksy stories and witty remarks of Lincoln, but it IS humor. It's not particularly high-level or skilled, but he certainly has the ability to use it. There's so many different styles of comedy out there and Trump does reflect a certain style.

I do wonder how long the act can go on. At some point he's going to have to get things done. Then again he might not if the Dems keep on with the inept resistance that they've offered.

Trump's mannerisms, quotes, twitter rants are the biggest boon to late night tv hosts ever.  It's interesting that the Trump supporters don't find them funny, but they find the Donald to be hilarious.  He's kind of like that retarded uncle that everyone likes that says the wrong things.  Sometimes they're accurate, but usually they are just spiteful.  I think the funniest part of this presidency is how often he gets his ass kicked by people who don't like him.  I also know that he will be diverted away from his agenda because his focus is off.

I don't think it really matters to his supporters if he accomplishes nothing.  They just like the public rants and whining part of his persona.

Offline Baby Aubergine

• Super Waygook
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2017, 09:26:25 AM »
There are different types of stupidity and intelligence. In terms of his ability to work a crowd, there's almost no one better. That's a kind of intelligence, a really valuable one at that.

For academic knowledge related to his job, or frankly even the more Machiavellian side of it now that he won, he ranks very low.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2017, 01:25:45 PM »
Trump's mannerisms, quotes, twitter rants are the biggest boon to late night tv hosts ever.  It's interesting that the Trump supporters don't find them funny, but they find the Donald to be hilarious.  He's kind of like that retarded uncle that everyone likes that says the wrong things.  Sometimes they're accurate, but usually they are just spiteful.  I think the funniest part of this presidency is how often he gets his ass kicked by people who don't like him.  I also know that he will be diverted away from his agenda because his focus is off.

I don't think it really matters to his supporters if he accomplishes nothing.  They just like the public rants and whining part of his persona.

Would you be the latest nobody in a long time to say that the billionaire who has been successful in real estate, entertainment, and now politics is a stupid buffoon? The man literally proved every single doubter wrong with a campaign strategy that he largely crafted himself. Keep in mind when I say "people" in all of this, this includes Republicans and probably his own advisors.

People said he was an idiot to start off his campaign with divisive words on illegal immigration. Wrong, he was seen as the candidate taking the firmest stance.

People said he was an idiot to attack Republican sacred cows like Jon McCain's war service. Wrong, it showed he was his own man and was not subject to Republican leadership and orthodoxy.

People said his rhetoric regarding women would make him unelectable. Wrong, it set him as the person who was going to take on the PC movement and SJWs that had started to seriously get on everyone's nerves. Like any good businessman he knew how to give himself an "id" behind his product (same as Apple fanboydom).

People said his insults and rudeness would be a clown act. Wrong, they matched the mood of the electorate which was thoroughly disgusted with Washington and had Congress at an 18% approval rating. Like any good businessman he understood his customers.

People said him going after the media was stupid and challenged the freedom of the press. Wrong, possibly the only group more despised in America is the media. Like any smart money he knew that any news is good news.

People said he needed advertising and traditional fundraising. Wrong, he used the internet and free media exposure to get his message across. Like any smart businessman he didn't spend any more money than he had to.

People said his outrageous ideas were impractical and would fall apart. Wrong, he used the techniques of pacing and leading as well as A-B testing to match his message and get his supporters to stand behind him (this doesn't mean he will be successful or that his ideas are in fact practical, only that used intelligent techniques to get what he wanted).

People said his campaign map that went through the Midwest was a dumb idea. Wisconsin was a fools errand. Michigan and Pennsylvania were pipe dreams for Republicans. He was wasting his time campaigning there. Wrong, those states proved decisive while "smart, intelligent, experienced, better judgment, better temperament" Hillary Clinton ignored the advice of her husband, the former President, and didn't campaign in Wisconsin at all.

========================================================

I could go on but you get the point. Sooner or later you have to recognize that Trump was smart, innovative, and knew what he was doing and pulled it off. He may still well be a used car salesman pushing Florida swampland, but he is one with as clever a pitch as has ever been crafted.

I'd also submit that Clinton and her supporters are not nearly as clever as they think they are. If they were, they'd be winners.

That's the thing about winning and losing- it produces a result. One side can claim how much more clever and intelligent and better they are, but if they lose, it's clear that all of that was just a bunch of talk.

After all, it's not the Republican Party that is now shitting its pants in a panic at the idea of Kid Rock running for Senate.