October 21, 2017, 01:31:57 AM

Author Topic: Hi  (Read 649 times)

Offline NochuBunni

• Explorer
Hi
« on: July 21, 2017, 06:13:13 AM »
Hi

I am from England and I've joined to find out more about moving to Korea as a self-employed Fashion Designer and Artist. I also want to keep up to date about various aspects of life in Korea. So far the plan is to move in two or three years as my business is fairly new and I'll need to save up a nest egg beforehand and I'm self-teaching Korean as well.

Offline DivineDimSum

• Adventurer
Re: Hi
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 11:09:11 AM »
Hi
Bwaa

Offline JMalinza

• Newgookin
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 11:41:35 AM »
Goodluck with the self teaching! I've been here 3 months and I'm still struggling :cry:

Offline traversing

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 12:50:38 PM »
Wow that's really cool. Most of the people on this site are here as English teachers (of course this site isn't just for teachers), but I wanted to mention that because your experience here as an independent artist will be different from most of the population on this site.

How are you teaching yourself? If you aren't already using them some free resources I recommend are TalkToMeInKorean (TTMIK) and memrise. The TTMIK textbook and workbooks (I think they have up to level 5 now, not 100% sure) are good as well just not free.

Don't worry too much about self teaching before you get here, you can get by on little to none depending on where you are and it'll be easier to absorb the language while you're here as long as you're active about it. I studied Korean at my University for a year before coming here, and it's definitely helped me with not just communicating but also with adjusting quickly, although it's not exactly necessary to live here well. Many come with no language skills, develop them later/or don't.

There are lots of different Korean language programs here, so if your schedule is fairly open while you're here I'd recommend trying different ones to see what style(s) (getting a tutor, university, hagwon, language exchange) you prefer.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 12:54:12 PM by traversing »

Offline JordanJJ

• Newgookin
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 11:33:03 PM »
Hello! I've been here for 4 months now and have been loving each moment!

Offline skycedi

• Waygookin
  • "Seize the Day"
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 04:05:25 PM »
Hi Nochubunni!

Welcome to the community. I just joined myself. Cheers to us.

That's great that you have a business that you plan on growing and eventually transplanting to Korea. Keep that hustle. All the best!
Cedric 하늘 aka SkyCeDi

^ Check Out my YouTube Channel for Korean Culture related content

Instagram: www.instagram.com/skycedi
Twitter: www.twitter.com/skycedi

Offline NochuBunni

• Explorer
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 10:22:27 AM »
Thank you for all the lovely welcomes, sorry for the late response (I forgot to turn on notifications ><).
I've been using TTMIK, Korean From Zero, Elementary Korean and sometimes an app by Eggbun.
I'm hoping to learn as much a I can while I'm waiting for things to fall into place. As I'm hoping to eventually gain permanent residency I want to try and build a good foundation towards fluency to show my dedication to fitting in and being a good member of society.
Being mixed with black means there will be prejudices and barriers to overcome while there so I'm hoping a good level of fluency will work in my favour ^^

Offline Tony Teacher

• Veteran
  • Customer Service at www.flowergiftkorea.com
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 09:00:22 PM »
Good luck with your startup/business!
Tony Choi AKA Tony Teacher - Customer Service at www.flowergiftkorea.com Blogger at www.entrepreneurkorea.com Admin at www.hagwonstart.com

Offline NochuBunni

• Explorer
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 09:06:55 PM »
Thank you~

Offline skycedi

• Waygookin
  • "Seize the Day"
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 03:47:51 AM »
That's awesome. Excited for you? Are you Korean and Black mix? If so, I am too :))
Cedric 하늘 aka SkyCeDi

^ Check Out my YouTube Channel for Korean Culture related content

Instagram: www.instagram.com/skycedi
Twitter: www.twitter.com/skycedi

Offline NochuBunni

• Explorer
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 03:58:13 AM »
No, white and black. But that's cool~

I'm still having trouble working out which Visa I need but it's not affecting my excitement at the possiblity of finally making my dream come true   :cheesy:

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment