July 21, 2017, 05:47:02 PM

Author Topic: US Embassy, UNHCR exploit interns  (Read 364 times)

Offline maximmm

• Hero of Waygookistan
US Embassy, UNHCR exploit interns
« on: July 18, 2017, 12:50:03 AM »
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2017/07/371_233114.html

It seems like political moves are being made and the US is being blacklisted.
The first sign if that is when the 'independent' media flips the switch and starts attacking another country. 

Speaking of internships, were you all paid for yours? 

'
In recent days, Korean firms have avoided hiring unpaid interns in the face of public outcry.
[/b]'

Lawyer Chung Myung-ah from the labor law firm Saenal was surprised to hear about the rampant unpaid labor practices at U.N. organizations, embassies and global media companies. "Such circumstances would be unimaginable if they were domestic companies," Chung said.

Haha - I'm guessing the KT journalisto missed what s/he wrote a few paragraphs earlier - about the domestic companies freezing the unpaid intern hire only a FEW days ago. 

Funny stuff.
-  The waygook secretive moderator society  -
- We do not forgive.  We do not forget   -

My PPT stuff - http://www.waygook.org/index.php/topic,102847.0.html

Online gogators!

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: US Embassy, UNHCR exploit interns
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 01:18:01 AM »
Yep--silly stuff.

Those internships were voluntary. The interns applied for them knowing they weren't going to get paid.

Spare me the crocodile tears.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 09:01:25 AM »
I have always seen internships as something for the well-to-do. As someone from a working class background, I tend to put it in the same pile as "County club membership" - something that might be helpful to your career if you have the right parents, but not worth the (opportunity) cost to me.

Offline macteacher

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 10:11:18 AM »

kind of agree with these people. if you're having legit responsibilities and not just shadowing and learning various skills, you should get compensated in some way. a stipend of some sort sounds reasonable

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 10:42:14 AM »
I do agree that internships should be paid, and I think I've even read somewhere that unpaid internships are technically illegal in the States even though they're a common practice.

But at the same time, forcing all internships to be paid positions would dramatically cut down on the number of internships that would be made available AND it would also make the selection process a lot more thorough. So all those people crying about not receiving a stipend or whatever probably wouldn't get that internship in the first place.

Internships are not only meant to help establish some real-world experience, they're also meant to help build connections and get your foot in some doors. You can either accept an unpaid internship that offers you these opportunities, or take your chances at not getting accepted for any internship at all.

Offline maximmm

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 11:46:43 AM »
Yeah, internships as an issue are worthy of a debate.  I see it as a sort of volunteering, but it doesn't feel like volunteering if you have to do an internship in order to get your degree.  So shouldn't you then treat it as degree-oriented work experience which counts as a college course?  I mean, that's what it is, isn't it?  Here's the kicker - I actually had to pay for my internship.

The problem is, all internships are different, with different duties (or lack thereof), and even different pays (or lack thereof).  Ideally, they should either make all internships unpaid, or make them all paid - but when you have both, there's a good reason why some people feel like they are being treated unfairly when compared to their peers. 

Still, this article is funny due to the pretend shock expressed by KT and a few hypocritical statements.  At the same time, as I've said earlier, when they run with such poorly written and researched articles - I see them as hit pieces, governed by the current political climate.  USA is currently the target. 

It's kind of like when China does good by the US, US sees no harm in anything China does, but when the US and China's relationship stumbles, the US state department starts to decries human rights violations, human trafficking, NK support, etc, etc in/by China.  The more hypocritical the statements are, the bigger the sign that they are driven by politics and nothing else. 

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 12:10:56 PM »
I see them as hit pieces, governed by the current political climate.  USA is currently the target. 

You know I'm a Trumper, but let's face it, the U.S. is irritating A LOT of people around the world right now.

Also, a negative story about a country doesn't mean people are getting whipped against it. When Trump says South Korea needs to pay more or that "China needs to do something about NK" is that whipping the public against those countries or is it just part of the ebb and flow of politics and the news cycle?

Offline maximmm

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 12:47:44 PM »
I see them as hit pieces, governed by the current political climate.  USA is currently the target. 

You know I'm a Trumper, but let's face it, the U.S. is irritating A LOT of people around the world right now.

Also, a negative story about a country doesn't mean people are getting whipped against it. When Trump says South Korea needs to pay more or that "China needs to do something about NK" is that whipping the public against those countries or is it just part of the ebb and flow of politics and the news cycle?

I have a rather disturbing hobby of watching State Department briefings.  Thankfully, there haven't been many of them since Trump took office. 
Still, while some things are constant (indeed, the NK issue is a never-ending thing), but others are not.  There's so much hypocricy stemming from the state department, it's not even funny.  When asked about Turkey and its breach of human rights, the USSD spokesperson says that Turkey has the right to rule its nation in any way it sees fit as a sovereign state.  The next thing they do is start criticizing China for imprisoning some 'human rights campaigner'. 

Like I said, the more hypocrisy, the more politics is involved.  This news article is full of hypocrisy. 

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
  • Today we are all root beer
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 01:33:57 PM »
a) The Korean media and government are ginning people up against the US because "Made in Bangladesh" Trump wants to crack down on Korean trade and renegotiate the FTA with South Korea, which probably won't happen because Trump has made himself impotent.

b) Internships are stupid and should be banned worldwide because they're always either a way for employers to save a bit of money or a way for trust fund kids to get jobs, but it's pretty stupid for people to voluntarily take an internship that advertised itself as unpaid and then complain about it being unpaid.

c) Korean companies are notorious for either forcing people to do unpaid overtime to show their commitment to the company, or for paying people less than minimum wage, claiming it's "passion pay," because surely a lot of desperate young Koreans are passionate about working in retail or at Paris Baguette. And then of course Korean companies all fire everyone when they turn 45 and the "passionate" employees have to spend the rest of their life driving a taxi or frying chicken until they get too old and have to go around picking up cardboard boxes.

Recent Lesson Plans

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment