November 19, 2017, 11:49:06 PM

Author Topic: Advice for Starting a Gongbu-bang in the Cheongju Area  (Read 833 times)

Offline adamzero

• Adventurer
Advice for Starting a Gongbu-bang in the Cheongju Area
« on: July 17, 2017, 03:32:51 PM »
As the title states, I live in the greater Cheongju area and have been contemplating a move from public school teaching to starting my own study room.

Does anyone have any experience with this in Cheongju?  (As in, what sort of permits would I need, what are some of the notable rules, etc?).  I've done some research on my own, but haven't been able to find any info specific to this area.

Also, any other words of advice (again, from people who have experience in this area, or with running a gongbu-bang, in general) would be of great help.

Thanks!

Offline thunderlips

• Expert Waygook
Re: Advice for Starting a Gongbu-bang in the Cheongju Area
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 03:45:41 PM »
I looked into but decided against it.

A few things that I recall:

business license/tax certificate- local tax office and gu office, I believe
register with Education office- police check (Korean) and your diploma, you may have to register as a tutor I think?

Now you need a special sign on the door, probably from Education Office.

I think there is/are FB groups for people in  business.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/foreignentrepreneursinkorea/

From what I hear it can be cut-throat, so don't skip on registering/taxes because someone may report you (especially if you are getting their old students).

Good luck!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 03:48:53 PM by thunderlips »
Kor Share at jcink

Offline raysmith

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 11:50:22 PM »
I knew a lady (Korean American I think) who ran one of these in that province.   All I know is that she had a nice new apartment and the study room was a set aside area of the apartment.  So part of the apartment was for living, part was for teaching. 

Unfortunately I don't know how her business went.

Offline KimDuHan

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 01:29:57 AM »
If you have a F visa it's fairly easy to just rent a space and register with the education board.

My friend ran one for a year I thought about it but ended up not doing it because of liabilities and the possibility of being sued by a rogue student.

Offline Andy73

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 07:56:53 AM »
Do you need a home country police check? Does it have to be apostilled?

Offline adamzero

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 03:22:32 PM »

register with Education office- police check (Korean) and your diploma, you may have to register as a tutor I think?

From what I hear it can be cut-throat, so don't skip on registering/taxes because someone may report you (especially if you are getting their old students).

Good luck!
Thanks!  This is the kind of info I'm looking for.

It's not something I'm set on, just yet.  Re-upped for this year in public schools, but I keep wondering if it would be a better fit for me and my family (especially as public school jobs here keep getting stricter and the pay scale looks to remain stagnant for the foreseeable future).

Offline thunderlips

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 03:31:38 PM »

Good luck!
Thanks!  This is the kind of info I'm looking for.

It's not something I'm set on, just yet.  Re-upped for this year in public schools, but I keep wondering if it would be a better fit for me and my family (especially as public school jobs here keep getting stricter and the pay scale looks to remain stagnant for the foreseeable future).

Yeah, BUT in public schools you get alot more added benefits to consider. Pension, severance, insurance, completion bonus, etc. Oh and paid vacation!!!!!
Study rooms can be a cash cow, but I know a few people who used to run a study room and these days they have to pick up side jobs to make ends meet. Many variables to consider, research your area.

But as I said good luck either way!
Kor Share at jcink

Offline btunks

• Explorer
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 08:24:57 PM »
There seems like a lot of rules and regulations. There is also a lot of paper work that needs to be done to satisfy the education office. But, I set mine up in Dangjin and it was quite painless.

Offline Tony Teacher

• Veteran
  • Customer Service at www.flowergiftkorea.com
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2017, 09:49:24 AM »
Hi, I think it's a great move for you to start your own business in Korea, especially if you can afford to live in an apartment near schools and other apartments. If you don't have that much money saved up to live in an apartment in an area with schools, going the gyosoopso route may be an option.

The absolute best place to get advice is in the Hagwon Startup Facebook group, https://www.facebook.com/groups/801166120000257/

There are current and past Gongbubang owners, Gyosoopso Owners, and Hagwon owners who share loads of information.

You can also check out my website, which is my experience running my English Gyosoopso at http://www.hagwonstart.com I share info in blog posts and podcasts.

I suggest you visit your education office and find out exactly what you need. Yeah, it can be a hassle, but running a business in Korea has a lot of challenges. Also, gongbubangs are not as regulated as you may think. The hagwon industry is very "closed doors" and compared to Hagwons, gongbubangs are rarely inspected. My English gyosoopso was inspected exactly 2 times in the 4 years I ran in, and almost all the neighboring hagwons/gyosoopso businesses were doing things they weren't supposed to. You'd be surprised how many things businesses in Korea get away with, especially since so many things are not black and white.

A good idea for you is to join the Facebook group I shared above and ask some questions. If you want to keep your identity secret, just make a fake Facebook account and ask away. There are always people in that Facebook group that enjoy sharing their experiences and giving their input.

Honestly, knowing what kinds of legal documents, etc. you need is one visit to the education office away. I suggest you visit the education office and ask. If you can't speak Korean, ask a friend to go with you and buy them a coffee afterwards (or maybe before). You will have to do a lot of things out of your comfort zone if you are going to start and create a successful an English Gongbubang business in your area, and I think visiting the education office in your area is your first step.

Good luck!
Tony Choi AKA Tony Teacher - Customer Service at www.flowergiftkorea.com Blogger at www.entrepreneurkorea.com Admin at www.hagwonstart.com