September 20, 2017, 08:21:02 PM

Author Topic: English Camps  (Read 2008 times)

Offline Skyehawks

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Veteran
English Camps
« on: July 17, 2017, 11:02:07 AM »
So I asked my teacher this year to just cancel grade 5 grade 6 English camps (they are done jointly). Is this to lesson my work? No. This is based on last winter and last summer's camps. meaning last year for each camp I would have 15-20 students sign up. So I created an entire camp worth of games designed for that number of students. How many students actually showed up? 3 if I was lucky.

So my co-teacher acquiesced or so I thought.

Now my co-teacher has agreed to do just an every grade English camp. However instead of teaching just an 80 minute camp day which was normal last year. He decided that is not enough this year and is still making me teach the same amount of hours as if I was still doing independent camps.

My thought is this. I can barely keep the number of students normally around 10-12 total regularly coming in a normal camp. My co-teacher seriously expects elementary school students to be still wanting to come to camp after they realize they now must attend a 160 minute long camp, 10 school days in a row! Seriously? After the first three days, even I wouldn't want to show up. As it is I am having difficulty with planning this camp as my co-teacher wants me to focus on phonics and grammar and vocab. But I want to design a more fun student friendly movie camp. Him: will you play go fish? Me: Go fish? for 80 minutes? For 160 minutes? NO!

1st thing on the agenda. Have a discussion about camp length today.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: English Camps
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 11:32:08 AM »
Sorry to hear about your troubles.

I personally hate camps. They're a waste of everyone's time because we're not given the proper resources or direction to make them count, even in the best situation... which is basically just planning a bunch of games and activities to take the kids' minds off the fact that they're at school during vacation. I'd much rather be deskwarming so that I can prep for the following semester, and the kids would much rather just be kids.

In my own case my current coTs understand that there isn't a whole lot I can do during that short period of time, so the focus is always on just doing fun things that might encourage the kids to speak as much of the English they already know as possible. Since I NEVER have a coT to help me, this DOES kind of help because the kids only have themselves to rely on to communicate with me. So at least there's that. One-on-one time with me and the kids.

Anyway, I've had situations where coTs wanted to turn camp into another day at school as well, as if that short period of time is suddenly gonna turn the kids into better learners or make them infinitely better at English, and I've just kind of learned to ignore them. If they want me to play "Go Fish", okay, fine... I plan that in (you want a movie theme, make a movie-themed go-fish). Along with a shit-ton of other activities, whether or not they approve of it. As far as I'm concerned, if you're going to make me do it, camp is my domain. The only say you have is in what my budget is. Sure, I'll listen to your feedback and take it into consideration. But in the end, it's my call.

I've been lucky that this has worked out for me without it coming back around to bite me in the ass. Part of it might be because of some leniency, but a lot of it is due to how I play the foreigner card. I'm going to do things my way (albeit with a little give here and there). But it's never because I'm being difficult. It's because I don't know any better, and the kids like me enough to tell their parents and the school to "not fix what ain't broke." :)

I understand that this is not possible with a lot of people due to the types of personalities involved and set of expectations being forced upon by the school, and you've just got to do what you got to do. Try to find that middle ground where you're giving your coT what (s)he wants, but in a fun format that better fits in with your methods and the kids' needs. A lot of coTs will learn to back off a bit as long as they see you're incorporating their ideas into your activities. "Go Fish" is just one idea. Accept it as that and offer up other games and activity ideas that you can walk your coT through so that (s)he knows what you're up to and can be assured that the camp will be educational enough that the terror doesn't get rained down on them later.

May the odds be ever in your favor.

Offline Skyehawks

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Veteran
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 01:49:39 PM »
To be completely honest, at this point i am taking former camps and just copy and pasting games I created for them to fill in the last couple of days.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 01:51:59 PM »
To be completely honest, at this point i am taking former camps and just copy and pasting games I created for them to fill in the last couple of days.

I see nothing wrong with that. As long as the kids enjoy it, it doesn't really matter, imo.

Offline Skyehawks

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Veteran
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 02:01:15 PM »
Yeah. I have a 29 page movie packet for them to do that goes with the movie..... They are going to hate me. But it was the only way I could get them to approve the 5 days of movie segments. I have 1 day of art and writing, 1 day of writing and editing, and the rest are just a bunch of games.

This camp is literally making me  :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank:

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 02:29:20 PM »

I see nothing wrong with that. As long as the kids enjoy it, it doesn't really matter, imo.

That's my philosophy. I told my Co-T last year, "The kids don't want to be here, we don't want to be here. Just make it fun and have English as a secondary thing." She looked at me like I'd killed some sort of sacred cow. But it's true! Given the option of doing nothing at home or doing an Enhlsih camp, we'd all opt out. Obv. 
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline cjszk

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 02:35:16 PM »
Personally, I've tried all sorts of things at this point and I find the most effective thing that I've done and am going to do again this time is...

Typical 80 minute camp:

30 minutes- Puzzle book http://item.gmarket.co.kr/Item?goodscode=226444803&pos_shop_cd=SH&pos_class_cd=111111111&pos_class_kind=T&keyword_order=%bf%f6%b5%e5%b9%f7%bd%ba&keyword_seqno=12447507141&search_keyword=%bf%f6%b5%e5%b9%f7%bd%ba
------
Main Lesson only 30 mins. Example:
10 minutes- Introduce new vocabulary / key expression. Song/GIF PPT whatever
20 minutes- PPT activity
------
Snack & Fun time
20 minutes- Snack time / Students can purchase prizes with points earned from class. Last camp I made fake English pokemon cards simplified. They worked really well even though they weren't real. Students were told simply how to play the game but they ended up making their own rules by I honestly did not care at all, the cards were just motivation for them to participate and boy were they nuts. I actually had to stop some bad students from stealing other student's cards.

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 09:53:22 PM »
I told my Co-T last year, "The kids don't want to be here, we don't want to be here. Just make it fun and have English as a secondary thing." She looked at me like I'd killed some sort of sacred cow. But it's true! Given the option of doing nothing at home or doing an Enhlsih camp, we'd all opt out.

Are you aware Co-Ts are paid for the camps? Quite a lot in fact - 550,000 a week. Some don't even show up .... yet collect a check for being in charge of the camp. Pretty good deal for them to get all that money for doing little to no work. (Meaning they are incentivized to make camps and extend them as long as possible.) So they expect you to be teaching a lot of English. Otherwise, they could be the ones catching flack if it hasn't been as productive as anticipated. And the districts- the offices of education- expect the camps to be highly educational and beneficial to the students' English levels as well because they are paying big bucks to make the camps happen (in the form of extra bonus money to Korean teachers). K teachers like English camps. K parents like English camps. Your job is to raise the students' English level as much as possible. If that doesn't happen don't be surprised if people are angry with you.

Offline oglop

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 10:50:54 PM »
is that why i was always given 0 budget, 0 information about how many students will attend(what grade or what level), 0 use of air con/heating, 0 help from any other teachers and 0 support setting up and packing up the camp? and it was always the bad kids who had absolutely no desire to learn anything (especially english) that attended. it's a babysitting service

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 11:20:58 PM »
is that why i was always given 0 budget, 0 information about how many students will attend(what grade or what level), 0 use of air con/heating, 0 help from any other teachers and 0 support setting up and packing up the camp? and it was always the bad kids who had absolutely no desire to learn anything (especially english) that attended. it's a babysitting service
Tada!

I'm not saying the camps are a bad idea, Life Improvement. But the kids would rather be anywhere else, even if the camp is fun.

Fair play, the K-Teachers get paid a bunch and want them to happen. Then they can be more invlved in................. everything? Great, send out the permission slips. Organise the logistics of it. But I'm doing all the planning and the teaching as it happens. ALL OF IT. Ill make some permission slips for 550 000W.
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 07:42:45 PM »
Our job titles are assistant teacher. Thus the K-teacher in charge is tasked with (and remunerated for) officially overseeing the English camps.

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 07:51:49 PM »
i was always given 0 budget

If anyone's wondering about their camp's budget, it's 1,000,000 per week. The Korean teacher in charge is paid 25,000 per class hour. (25K X 22 is 550K.)

The most recent camp budget I saw looked like this for a five day period:

Wages for the Korean teacher: 550K

Snacks for the students: 300K

Materials: 150K

Seems expensive to pay that much for snacks for students- 60K per day... but divided by 20 that's 3K per day for the junk food. Longterm it's a better investment to get teaching materials for the classroom in my opinion.

Offline What?What?

• Super Waygook
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 10:47:39 AM »
i was always given 0 budget

If anyone's wondering about their camp's budget, it's 1,000,000 per week. The Korean teacher in charge is paid 25,000 per class hour. (25K X 22 is 550K.)

The most recent camp budget I saw looked like this for a five day period:

Wages for the Korean teacher: 550K

Snacks for the students: 300K

Materials: 150K

Seems expensive to pay that much for snacks for students- 60K per day... but divided by 20 that's 3K per day for the junk food. Longterm it's a better investment to get teaching materials for the classroom in my opinion.

Well this is interesting because I have 3 camps at 3 different schools and have been advised that there is zero budget for any of them. One school even said to not print anything in colour.  :rolleyes: I would really like to know what happens to the funds for camps then.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 10:53:07 AM by What?What? »
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline emilysu

• Adventurer
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 10:51:12 AM »
I was informed my main school has a "huge budget" for the camp, while my travel school has 0 budget... they want identical camps as well. Is this normal? Can you split the budget to get materials to bring to the other school or is this unheard of?

Offline afheil89

• Super Waygook
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 10:52:14 AM »
For my camp each student paid about 10,000 (there's 40 students) and that money went straight for money for materials I could buy from either gmarket or emart mall. So we bought some fun snacks, prizes, and art supplies. I don't have a coteacher for camp because my school can't afford to pay one, and my coteacher would rather go on vacation anyway. But I don't mind doing it on my own. I also get complete information about what students are coming along with their parents phone number and all that, and every day another teacher briefly comes and checks the attendance. I think its weird you'd get no information about what students are coming!
I teach, eat, and travel through Korea and write about it. http://www.ashleyheil.com

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2017, 10:59:41 AM »
Well this is interesting because I have 3 camps at 3 different school and have been advised that there is zero budget for any of them. One school even said to not print anything in colour.  :rolleyes: I would really like to know what happens to the funds for camps then.

I don't know how valid the claims are, but I've read here and there that those funds get misappropriated, usually to other departments that have nothing to do with it, but also often for private things (like paying for relatives' rent and such).

Also, not sure if the numbers that Life Improvement is posting are standard for most schools or for only certain schools (like public schools within a certain province or whatever).

@ emilysu: Do what you got to do without spending any of your own money. Just make sure that both schools understand what's going on, ESPECIALLY the travel school. I don't personally have a problem spending some of my own money... as long as it's not a lot of money, it's my own decision, and I'M the one in control of the camps. If they're going to start dictating what's going to happen for camp, and all of that stuff requires materials that must be bought, then it's their responsibility to provide those materials to you. If they suggest that you somehow pull the materials from out of your own ass, immediately put that in full-stop.

I'm thinking that the travel school believes you can either reuse what you'll use at your main school or that it has whatever materials you'll need already. What type of camp does it want?

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2017, 11:33:11 AM »
For my camp each student paid about 10,000 (there's 40 students) and that money went straight for money for materials I could buy from either gmarket or emart mall. So we bought some fun snacks, prizes, and art supplies. I don't have a coteacher for camp because my school can't afford to pay one, and my coteacher would rather go on vacation anyway. But I don't mind doing it on my own. I also get complete information about what students are coming along with their parents phone number and all that, and every day another teacher briefly comes and checks the attendance. I think its weird you'd get no information about what students are coming!

Ahh.  Like much in Korea, I guess it really depends on one's "unique situation."  I'm the first NET my schools have had so I guess they didn't have camps previously and thus there's never been a budget for camp before.  Instead, the English teacher asks the principal for a budget and then funds get "donated" or shuffled around from other departments hahah.  (Ever since the first camp, where I spent a bit of my own money, apparently horrifying my coT who thereafter insisted on getting a budget)

Camp is free for the kiddos.  I don't get much info about which students are coming other than general numbers or the definite no's.  Currently I'm expecting 5 students for certain with 6 more undecided.  The indecisive 6 are all grade 3s though (middle school), so I understand if they'd rather have a free summer before they slog off to high school next year. 

Offline What?What?

• Super Waygook
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2017, 11:35:11 AM »

Damn. Yeah I am on my own, no CT, I still don't know how many students are coming. My first camp begins on Monday.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline emilysu

• Adventurer
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2017, 03:24:06 PM »

@ emilysu: Do what you got to do without spending any of your own money. Just make sure that both schools understand what's going on, ESPECIALLY the travel school. I don't personally have a problem spending some of my own money... as long as it's not a lot of money, it's my own decision, and I'M the one in control of the camps. If they're going to start dictating what's going to happen for camp, and all of that stuff requires materials that must be bought, then it's their responsibility to provide those materials to you. If they suggest that you somehow pull the materials from out of your own ass, immediately put that in full-stop.

I'm thinking that the travel school believes you can either reuse what you'll use at your main school or that it has whatever materials you'll need already. What type of camp does it want?

They really didn't give me any information at all.. my main school CoT gave me a total of 2 days to plan my camp without any real guideline... he just gave me the plan from last year's camp (which didn't help much, honestly). I'm doing a Comic themed camp and planned a scavenger hunt and stuff. Thankfully I don't need many materials that the school won't already have... But like someone else mentioned, I know nothing about how many students there will be, etc. I also don't know if my CoT will be around (highly doubt it, though).
The only info I got was Mon, Wed, Fri is 3/4th grade mix and Tues/Thurs is a 5/6 mix. Hopefully it will go over well.

Offline SnackySnack

• Veteran
  • What do I love more than snacks?. . .More snacks^^
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2017, 03:28:37 PM »
I was informed my main school has a "huge budget" for the camp, while my travel school has 0 budget... they want identical camps as well. Is this normal? Can you split the budget to get materials to bring to the other school or is this unheard of?

I would run it by the main school. They might not want to share their resources and materials. Actually, it would be best if your travel school contacted your main school directly.
Save 5% off your next iherb order! (New and returning customers^^) https://iherb.co/2pwkd6cb

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment