July 21, 2017, 05:46:32 PM

Author Topic: 8 days in Indonesia  (Read 479 times)

Offline Piggydee

• Hero of Waygookistan
8 days in Indonesia
« on: July 13, 2017, 05:57:34 PM »
Hey guys, just wanted to know what is a good itinerary for Indonesia.  I have a friend in Jakarta.  I was thinking of doing two to three days in Jakarta and the rest of the time spent in Bali.  Any other suggestions?

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Use war and past injury, as my metaphor and simile
Re: 8 days in Indonesia
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 06:06:11 PM »
Hey guys, just wanted to know what is a good itinerary for Indonesia.  I have a friend in Jakarta.  I was thinking of doing two to three days in Jakarta and the rest of the time spent in Bali.  Any other suggestions?

Cilacap has an ancient Dutch Fort.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benteng_Pendem_(Cilacap)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 06:08:15 PM by CO2 »
You can't do half, My crew laughs at your rhubarb-and-custard verses
You rain down curses but I'm waving your hearses driving by

Offline Piggydee

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 06:13:48 PM »
Might go check that out.  Does anyone know how to get to Bukit Peninsula in Bali?  Do I have to take a plane, a train, or boat?

Offline Arabin

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 06:17:31 PM »
Skip Jakarta, head to Yogyakarta and visit Borobudur and Prambanan.

Offline Piggydee

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 06:23:00 PM »

Yogyakarta looks awesome.  How far is that from Bali?  How would I get there?

Offline Enzo

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 06:23:38 PM »
Take the ferry over to the Gili Islands. There are 3 each with their own style.

Offline Arabin

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 10:21:27 AM »

Yogyakarta looks awesome.  How far is that from Bali?  How would I get there?

Yogyakarta is in Central Jave, the same island as Jakarta. It's getting you closer to Bali. As for transport, I would suggest flying. Garuda is the flag carrier and does internal flights. There's probably a smattering of low costs now. Back in the day you could hustle (or get a hotel manager to hustle) places on military transports.

I would not recommend train or buses if you are pressed for time but bear in mind the last time I was in Indonesia, Dubya was president and the last time I was in Java, Billy Boy Clinton was.

Offline Piggydee

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 10:38:56 AM »
Awww man I was hoping to avoid flying so much but it seems in order to island hop that's what I'm going to have to do  :sad:  Thanks for the advice  :cheesy:

Offline Arabin

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 11:02:57 AM »
Awww man I was hoping to avoid flying so much but it seems in order to island hop that's what I'm going to have to do  :sad:  Thanks for the advice  :cheesy:

I know how you feel but overlanding is a long term game. My last trip to Indonesia was a fly-in but not out job. It's fun in retrospective but 48 hours in the same bus was not amusing at the time.

But again. If you get to see one thing in Indonesia it should be Borobudur.

Offline CJ

• Adventurer
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 12:14:40 PM »
I went to Yogyakarta last year and was quite underwhelmed. The town itself in a bit of a dump with not much going on. Personally, I thought Borobudur and Prambanan to be tourist traps with millions of Indonesians running around like mad trying to take selfies and hassling me to get my photo taken with them.
With only 8 days, I might go to one of the volcanoes on the eastern point of Java and head onto Bali and relax along the coast in Amed, which I think is the best part of Bali.

Offline Piggydee

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 12:43:44 PM »
Thanks for looking out CJ!  I like to scope out the paths less beaten myself.  :wink:

Offline CJ

• Adventurer
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 03:33:18 PM »
Many people slag off Bali due to the scummy Aussies in the Kuta region. I know the island quite well, and I have to say the eastern part, especially the 10km stretch of bays known collectively as "Amed", is a superb place with a relaxed vibe, next to no idiots, fantastic scenery and things to do like snorkelling and cruising around by scooter. The restaurants aren't great and nor is the bar scene, however.
As you only have 5 days, I'd fly to Denpasar and spend 2 nights in Amed and maybe two nights in Ubud in your own personal villa.
Lombok and the Gili islands can wait for another time. IMHO Labuan Bajo on Flores is the place to be in Indonesia if you're into snorkeling or diving.

Offline Piggydee

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2017, 04:18:19 PM »
I think I want to spend just my first and last day in Jarkarta though.  I do have a friend there. 

Offline Piggydee

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 05:02:18 PM »
Okay after a little more digging should I just spend most of my time in Bali then?  Because I looked up top beaches and it seems like Bali has most of them. Java did peek my interest but it seems like I would have to take a plane from Bali to Java and I'm on a shoe string budget.  Plus the things I hear about Indonesian domestic airlines is not the best so the less time in the air the better.  If you were me what would you do.  Spend on getting to Java or focus on Bail?

Offline Piggydee

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #14 on: Today at 01:32:36 PM »
Guys I need help  with suggestions.  I think I screwed up big time!  Okay so I will get into Jakarta on Friday at 4am July 28, sleep, and go look at some stuff in the city until my 9pm flight to Bali, I wanted to spend the whole time there till Friday Aug. 4th when I will return to Jakarta to do more things that I didn't get to do on my first day in.  Then I have a 12am flight back to Korea on Saturday morning. 

With this being said....I screwed up and didn't think about Borobudur.  Should I just forget about it?  Is there a way I can take a train to go there over night?  I need to be back in Bali to fly back to Jakarta....  :sad: :sad: I sort of suck at trip planning.  Is Borobudur worth it?

Recent Lesson Plans

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment