November 24, 2017, 03:30:19 PM

Author Topic: Fairy Bread? Is that really a thing?  (Read 1301 times)

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
Fairy Bread? Is that really a thing?
« on: July 13, 2017, 09:46:10 AM »
My coteacher told our students that people in NZ? OZ?  eat "fairy bread for" birthdays, instead of cake.

I am wondering if a Kiwi or an Aussie can confirm or deny.

Is it popular or what?

Thanks.

Online welcomebackkotter

• Expert Waygook
Re: Fairy Bread? Is that really a thing?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 09:49:51 AM »
yes, it's really a thing.

But it's not usually instead of cake, but as well as cake. It's usually on the table to eat during the party.  Kids still want cake and to blow out candles.   Can you imagine a birthday party without cake? We're not that mean.

And it's mostly for kids in primary school age.

Online zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 09:51:13 AM »
Fairy bread is a thing in NZ. Bread sprinkled with hundred and thousands. Its certainly not instead of cake. Its just a common little kids party food. It was more of a 1970s 80s thing. Dont see it so much nowadays.

Edit: as above poster says

Offline reifoo87

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 09:53:43 AM »
Fairy bread is bomb! In Aus its usually just a party snack, not eaten instead of cake!

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 09:54:06 AM »
I'd try it.

Online gotngoidea

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 10:01:35 AM »
It's great for summer/winter camps. The sprinkles (100s and 1000s) are a little tricky to find in bulk. I usually end up getting 8x100g packets from Gmarket. It's called 구슬스프링클 . Don't get the stick ones, they don't taste as fun.

Offline DisJaimee

• Newgookin
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 10:11:50 AM »
And it's mostly for kids in primary school age.

I'm known for being the fairy bread queen because it's all I ever bring to parties, and guess who eats most of it? The adults hahahah (Y)

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 10:44:41 AM »
Does nobody else find sprinkles kind of gross? (Looking at you, #Basedcowboyshirt.) I've never found them appealing, even as a kid. They don't taste good, so what's the draw? Just the color? More icing, please~

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 11:08:12 AM »
Birthday cake is a bit of a waste.  Kids don't really like it, and it is pure #poisonBased.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 11:30:06 AM »
Excellent.

Thanks to all who responded.

It's always a great day when I can learn something new at my age.

To be clear, from what I am reading, it isn't just a children's snack, but adults actually eat it, too?

Looks like "camp" theme might be "Around the World in 5 days" with "fairy bread" on our visit to OZ/NZ...

Online welcomebackkotter

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2017, 11:52:55 AM »
It's true, adults would definitely eat it.  But in my experience there was usually an excuse for it to be around, like your kids birthday party.   "Adults" wouldn't make it just for themselves.

It's great for summer/winter camps. The sprinkles (100s and 1000s) are a little tricky to find in bulk. I usually end up getting 8x100g packets from Gmarket. It's called 구슬스프링클 . Don't get the stick ones, they don't taste as fun.

The round ones are 100's and 1000's, and best on fairy bread, I agree.  The little stick ones are the ones that I knew as sprinkles and were the bomb on vanilla icecream and not used for fairy bread.

Everything has a place.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2017, 12:16:20 PM »
Bangsan Baking Market off of Cheonggyecheon Stream have all of them in bulk, +.

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2017, 12:44:24 PM »
Does nobody else find sprinkles kind of gross? (Looking at you, #Basedcowboyshirt.) I've never found them appealing, even as a kid. They don't taste good, so what's the draw? Just the color? More icing, please~

I find that they taste infinitely better when you call them 'muisjes'.
Also, according to this article, they help stimulate the production of breastmilk. So there's that.

Lekker stuk beschuit met muisjes. Nothing better!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 12:55:04 PM by kyndo »

Online What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2017, 01:25:11 PM »
Excellent.

Thanks to all who responded.

It's always a great day when I can learn something new at my age.

To be clear, from what I am reading, it isn't just a children's snack, but adults actually eat it, too?

Looks like "camp" theme might be "Around the World in 5 days" with "fairy bread" on our visit to OZ/NZ...

Have to agree with this. I honestly did not know about this fairy bread thing. It really is nice to learn something new and I will definitely now include this in my culture classes! I am also going to give it a try myself. I love new food!
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline Nokcha

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2017, 01:48:14 PM »
Super fun fact! Thanks for passing this one on. I will definitely incorporate it into a lesson. Is it just white bread and sprinkles, or is there a layer of something else that helps the sprinkles stick to the bread?

:)

Offline awalshe77

• Waygookin
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2017, 01:56:08 PM »
Super fun fact! Thanks for passing this one on. I will definitely incorporate it into a lesson. Is it just white bread and sprinkles, or is there a layer of something else that helps the sprinkles stick to the bread?

White bread, soft butter or margarine, and 100's and 1000's. That's all you need.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2017, 02:05:06 PM »
Coupang has sprinkles but you have to search for "nonpareils."  I might have the kids make fairy bread for camp.

Online welcomebackkotter

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2017, 02:56:46 PM »

White bread, soft butter or margarine, and 100's and 1000's. That's all you need.

and make sure you use soft white bread, it must be white.  It's obviously not a healthy snack.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2017, 04:03:32 PM »
I just ordered rainbow sprinkles.  And a thing of chocolate sprinkles.  Gonna try me some hagelslag as well. 

Thanks Pecan, you've just introduced a new method of poison into my life. 

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2017, 12:21:43 AM »

I find that they taste infinitely better when you call them 'muisjes'.
Also, according to this article, they help stimulate the production of breastmilk. So there's that.

Lekker stuk beschuit met muisjes. Nothing better!

Well, I may have to make some for my wife then. Or perhaps I'll make a double-batch and have some myself so I can relieve her of her duties. They must be no normal sprinkles (they look more like Dippin' Dots) as it's hard to believe the right balance of sugar, corn starch, corn syrup, and food coloring would have breast-milk-stimulating properties. Or could the article be referencing an industry-funded study? I hear commercials featuring their corporate mascot promote brain-stimulating neural oscillations in toddlers. :afro:
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 12:24:02 AM by donovan »