December 12, 2017, 06:32:29 AM

Author Topic: Era of ‘Biological Annihilation’ Is Underway, Scientists Warn  (Read 2353 times)

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
Re: Era of ‘Biological Annihilation’ Is Underway, Scientists Warn
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2017, 11:41:44 AM »
religious discussion is not permitted on waygook.org.

Evolutionism is a religion.

Hey Taal, I was able to see your post before it got yanked. I wish it could have stayed up because it was in no way incendiary and it actually established some common ground between how you and I feel about the issue of ecological collapse (not evolution). You seemed to take a 'good steward' position, though perhaps it was less essential to your beliefs than ancillary. I guess they don't want ANY religious discussion because it can and so often does lead to vitriolic, hateful posts. I see what you mean though. Science isn't a 'religion' and so is given free-reign, but it does come in direct conflict with your beliefs, but you are circumscribed in expressing yourself. If you're religion defines you, it's going to be hard to talk about much without your religion at least informing your thoughts, if not directly contriving them. And if your ability to express yourself is so delineated, it's often going to be pointless to remark on anything at all.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2017, 11:57:03 AM »
Is the Great Barrier Reef dying or dead? I read that it was completely dead in passing, but that's only 1 source.

Large portions are now dead. Others seem to be dying. Little of it can still be called healthy and all are in danger of further bleaching.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/15/science/great-barrier-reef-coral-climate-change-dieoff.html

far left (north): 11-35% of coral lost
red: 47-83% of coral lost
center yellow: 2-17% of coral lost
blue: very little coral loss

And this just in...
An Iceberg the Size of Delaware Just Broke Away From Antarctica

The crack in the Larsen C ice shelf finally snapped.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2017, 03:32:28 PM »
religious discussion is not permitted on waygook.org.

Evolutionism is a religion.
Science isn't a 'religion' and so is given free-reign, but it does come in direct conflict with your beliefs.
I've never really felt this.
Belief in science in general (and evolution specifically) isn't mutually exclusive. Science has not disproved the existence of God (and not for lack of trying), and most Holy books (including the Bible) can be interpreted in ways that agree with our modern understanding of the world. Jesus loved parables and metaphors, and I suspect that when trying to explain how the world came to be to ancient sheepherders and spearslingers, his dad used some creative license (pun!) as well.

Anyway, it's sad that the discussion of systems of belief so quickly devolve into personal arguments online.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2017, 05:48:22 PM »
Oh, I agree with you (I usually agree with you even when I can't entirely follow what you're saying but you sound informed!) that the chasm between traditional religion and science (including evolution) is bridgeable. Just ask any Muslim scientist! I should have said 'it does come in direct conflict with Taal's Beliefs.' He certainly felt so.

It's also sad when a thread on the Sixth Mass Extinction gets sidetracked on a minor semantic indiscretion conflating 'extinction of a species' and 'death of individuals'. But not as sad as the rather rapid decimation of coral reefs around the planet.

Anyway, I hear Jesus loved a lot of things. I'd like to think he'da loved spam if he were here today, or dinosaurs if he ever had a chance to discover their fossils.

Offline Taal

• Adventurer
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2017, 03:19:59 PM »
Science isn't a 'religion'

I said evolutionism is a religion.

A religion does not necessarily have to involve a God.

Evolutionists have no historical documentation for their viewpoint, they rely on assumptions. A scientist should not believe something without rigorous scientific proof. but evolutuionists believe their creed because they want to. It is a belief system about the past. Maybe you sincerely believe that life and the universe arose by entirely undirected, random chance naturalistic processes. It seems basically illogical.  Why would anyone assume that intensely functionally complex living organisms could spontaneously self-assemble? "Everything came from nothing", the illogical mantra of the evolutionist. But like any religion, an evolutionist makes this assumption, by faith, against all reason, logic, instinct and probability, and pursues this principle, this cause, with a zeal and active devotion. Reacting with visceral hatred and emotion to anyone or anything that threatens this belief system. Because it is a religion to them, supplying them with a meaning and morality. If you were purely cold, rational, objective "scientists", why do evolutionists react to Christians in the way they do? You only have to look at the earlier part of this thread to see this.

Scientific inquiry is about processes that are observable, testable, repeatable.

The origin of life on earth is none of the above.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 03:29:28 PM by Taal »

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2017, 03:57:06 PM »
Well, that's something I can't comment on, but kyndo, I'd sure like to see your place of worship sometime~

There's gotta be a scientist named Noah working on one of these arks:
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/07/13/magazine/seed-vault-extinction-banks-arks-of-the-apocalypse.html
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 09:41:26 PM by donovan »

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2017, 08:36:06 AM »
Large portions are now dead. Others seem to be dying. Little of it can still be called healthy and all are in danger of further bleaching.

And this just in...
An Iceberg the Size of Delaware Just Broke Away From Antarctica

One of the scariest things about the recent trends of oceanic warming is how it will soon hit the point when massive reservoirs of methane cladates on the ocean floor and beneath tundra permafrost will be freed from their icy prisons and sublimate. Millions of tonnes of trapped methane being released at a steady rate would more or less put the nail in the global coffin, as it's around 36 times more efficient than CO2 at trapping heat, and isn't possible to sequester the same way carbon is.  :sad:

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapam
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2017, 08:40:36 AM »
Millions of tonnes of trapped methane being released at a steady rate would more or less put the nail in the global coffin, as it's around 36 times more efficient than CO2 at trapping heat, and isn't possible to sequester the same way carbon is.  :sad:

That said, I am pretty warm.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2017, 09:12:16 AM »
Millions of tonnes of trapped methane being released at a steady rate would more or less put the nail in the global coffin, as it's around 36 times more efficient than CO2 at trapping heat, and isn't possible to sequester the same way carbon is.  :sad:

That said, I am pretty warm.
But it's a scary thought, isn't it? Somewhere out there is a poster 36 times fuller of hot air than you!  :huh:

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2017, 09:16:15 AM »
The Earth and animals will be fine. We've had temperatures much warmer than the maximum projected and life thrived. The other times its been that warm is when dinosaurs ruled the Earth during the Triassic and the Eocene, which is when primates started developing.

As far as dead animals, it's doubtful things would approach the truly great mass extinctions in history. Now, of course if this places eventually turns into Coruscant it would cause serious problems, but nature adapts and changes.

The poles at the time were temperate, no ice there, and Pangea was a mass continent. No Waterworld. Now, that's not to say that sea levels might rise and some islands or coastal cities could be affected, but it would also mean areas of North America and Asia would become more temperate. Some areas would become more desertlike, others hotter, some plants would thrive, others might struggle.

If this really was DOOOOOOMMMMM, the scientists involved would be behaving differently. Go visit some religious cult if you want to see people how people behave who truly believe that doom is upon us.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2017, 09:30:11 AM »
Honestly, I get the concern about the climate and all, but they're trying to push a boulder up a hill when they'd be better off focusing on other, less-arguable environmental causes and effects.

If you want to make a difference, it's best to bring up issues that are easier to prove and to connect to human activity. Tired of this "what if" bullshit and all of the scare tactics -- it's doing more harm than good because you've got nutjobs on both sides of the fence spouting a bunch of nonsense and trying to bully people into compliance, and people are just ****** tired of it, so they're tuning it all out.

Most people are not going to get the science behind it, and people like Bill Nye only further distorts it to a point that makes even more people suspicious of the claims.

I really wish they'd just stop with all of the political agendas already and just focus on the facts that can be understood AND trusted by the majority of the global populace.