November 19, 2017, 01:46:44 AM

Author Topic: Baby Boomers  (Read 1133 times)

Offline Kolao

• Adventurer
Baby Boomers
« on: July 10, 2017, 02:58:36 PM »
Growing up in the 50's & 60's, man. Baby Boomers are the luckiest generation that will ever exist. If for nothing else, the music is timeless.
When the wicked are confounded, and consigned to flames of woe, call me.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
Re: Baby Boomers
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 03:11:46 PM »
Muse, Arctic Monkeys, Glass Animals, Manic Street Preachers, Sonic Youth and Wilco called.

"Hello, Kolao, we're just here to remind you that music didn't die in 1970."

Offline tunacookie

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 03:29:37 PM »
Be careful with the rose tinted glasses, all the music that was created at the time, we can enjoy it now as well! Plus we don't have to grow up during a time of social inequality, as well as the constant threat of war looming with Russia, plus the Korean and Vietnamese wars! That said there's a whole different barrel of sh!t to worry about on an international level these days.

Offline Kolao

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 03:33:38 PM »
Muse, Arctic Monkeys, Glass Animals, Manic Street Preachers, Sonic Youth and Wilco called.

"Hello, Kolao, we're just here to remind you that music didn't die in 1970."

Music didn't die in 1970. Not even close. We had the rock era lead by Zep (you see what I did there!)

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 05:32:58 PM »
There was crap music back the too, but nobody remembers it.

Offline Kolao

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 06:30:33 PM »

Truer words have never been spoken, man. And that's why in 50 or 60 years, no one will remember anything that's being pumped out today.

OUCH!

Burn!!!

:P

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 07:00:11 PM »

Truer words have never been spoken, man. And that's why in 50 or 60 years, no one will remember anything that's being pumped out today.

OUCH!

Burn!!!

:P

From beyond the grave. They thank us for their infinite relevance.

Online Aristocrat

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 07:19:22 PM »
Growing up in the 50's & 60's, man. Baby Boomers are the luckiest generation that will ever exist. If for nothing else, the music is timeless.

Sorry, but that's utter BS.

If you're talking about music, right now would always be the best time. At no other point in time was such an infinite variety of music so easily and cheaply available. The only difference is that good music no longer comes to you, it's up to you to find it.

2017 - Let's listen to an indie Japanese Ska band <click> done!
1960s - Where's a Japan?

Offline Kolao

• Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 08:16:47 PM »

If you're talking about music, right now would always be the best time. At no other point in time was such an infinite variety of music so easily and cheaply available. The only difference is that good music no longer comes to you, it's up to you to find it.

1960s - Where's a Japan?

I'm sorry, man, but you seem to be equating the quality of music with its accessibility.

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 09:21:25 PM »

Offline eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2017, 09:31:13 PM »
If he started working in a field that didn't need a bachelor's degree he could have been earning from the age of 16,while staying at his parents' house. Not that difficult today either to do the same thing and save enough for a deposit on a house outside of the really expensive towns. If you choose to do a degree in something that doesn't directly lead to a job, while racking up a load of debt, you can't really blame anyone but yourself for not being able to get on the property ladder as soon as this guy.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 09:35:26 PM by eggieguffer »

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2017, 09:48:40 PM »

They had it so great when they were young.  It's a shame when they were young that they also voted for governments that promised lots of free stuff and taxed and spent too much.  We're left holding the debts. Also, with the inflation they fueled the good jobs got outsourced and we got left with holding the bag.  They pushed globalism too.  They wanted peace and love and ended up with broken families, failed marriages, and kids in need of psychological counselling and safe spaces.  My parents, I love them, and mine own were sensible.  But a lot of the boomers put us in this craphole when they inherited great things from our grandparents.  I remember them telling me how good things use to be, though also how rough the depression was, I guess. 

Online Aristocrat

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2017, 10:16:53 PM »

1960s - Where's a Japan?

I'm sorry, man, but you seem to be equating the quality of music with its accessibility.

Apologies, you're right.
I stick to my belief that thanks to technology music today is better than ever. Popular music is heard by a larger audience and businesses have tapped into this as a marketing tool, and the quality suffers, true. However, the next Hendrix or Chopin needs nothing more than their instrument, a mic and a computer to spread their music to every corner of the Earth where before, it took climbing the ladder of gigging and climbing the music industry ladder to be heard.
Youtube, for example, has raised the bar of what is impressive.

With such a massive variety of music so easily accessible, it's easy for aspiring musicians to draw influences from a larger pool than before pushing the boundaries of creativity and technique.

Sure, the Sex Drugs Rock n Roll culture is dead, but I'm strictly referring to music.

I leave you with Guthrie Govan, a guy I'd probably never have discovered without the help of the internet and arguably the greatest guitarist alive.

Offline hippo

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2017, 10:35:54 PM »
Rock's peak in 1974

https://youtu.be/pLqfXlIq6RE

Offline Kolao

• Adventurer
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2017, 10:08:46 AM »

1960s - Where's a Japan?

Apologies, you're right.
I stick to my belief that thanks to technology music today is better than ever. Popular music is heard by a larger audience and businesses have tapped into this as a marketing tool, and the quality suffers, true. However, the next Hendrix or Chopin needs nothing more than their instrument, a mic and a computer to spread their music to every corner of the Earth where before, it took climbing the ladder of gigging and climbing the music industry ladder to be heard.
Youtube, for example, has raised the bar of what is impressive.

With such a massive variety of music so easily accessible, it's easy for aspiring musicians to draw influences from a larger pool than before pushing the boundaries of creativity and technique.

Sure, the Sex Drugs Rock n Roll culture is dead, but I'm strictly referring to music.

I leave you with Guthrie Govan, a guy I'd probably never have discovered without the help of the internet and arguably the greatest guitarist alive.

Dude, that was cool man. Funky, groovy, jazzy, bluesy. It reminds me a great deal of the lesser known works of Mr. Frank Zappa and The Mothers of Invention. A band I had the pleasure of seeing around 1980 or so. 3rd row center on the floor. One of the best concerts I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot of concerts, man. Thanks.

Offline Kolao

• Adventurer
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2017, 10:23:39 AM »
Here's a rare video of Les Paul and Mary Ford. I bet that guitar Les is playing right there is work a whack of money. It may sound simplistic but there is serious talent there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awjTKeS9Wvo

Offline Kolao

• Adventurer
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2017, 08:11:42 PM »
Frank Zappa on why music was better back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZazEM8cgt0